Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping pipes help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
lanceropolis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping pipes help

Ok, I am gonna have to wrap my headers on my pipes. No way around it...

So knowing that I need help, I need tips from you guys that have done this before. Here is what I know...

1. Use gloves
2. Wrap tight and thick.

That's about it. I have read on here some where to soak your wrap before you start... Well, how long do I soak it, and in what? What is meant by "painting" the wrap? Well you get the drift.

Also, what about wrapping around the O2 sensor? Should I just cut a hole, or would it be better to wrap around that part?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:54 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am no pro, can only tell you what I did. I first dry wrapped the pipe to get and idea of how much I needed then added a couple of feet to be sure. I soaked the wrap in one of my wife's mixing bowls, only needs to soak for a few mins, just want to get it good and wet. Then I wrapped one end around a 2x4 and screwed to my deck and stretched the wrap down the driveway. Starting and the head end of the pipe start rolling the pipe into the wrap pulling tight the whole time. I keep a knife handy on my belt so when I got to the O2 bung I cut a slit in the wrap. Once I got to the end of the pipe I tied it off with a band clamp. Then painted the whole pipe with high heat 1200 deg. paint. Good Luck

Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you can wrap around the 02 sensors... soak the wrap in water, will make working it so much easier... when i wrap pipes i use a pole, actually i use the basket ball pole in front and have one guy standing with the spool of wrap on the other end run the wrap around the pole to me holding the pipe... this will allow me to reall pull it tight and ensure that my wrap is evenly spaced... once it is done i let it dry a bit... then shoot the whole thing wiht heat paint to keep the color... I like to lock the wrap in and that wrap over the tie on the top, this way the only exposed clamp is on the bottom ... it is all pretty simple bu make sure you do it right so you do not ahve to re do it.... when you re install it will smoke and smell like CRAP!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

clear high temp paint or black? - i need to follow this - my first wrap job suckedand fell apart

Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I know, soaking the wrap first makes it more flexible and helps you get a tighter wrap.How long do you soak it? long enough to make it thoroughly wet.Throw it in a bucket of water wait ten minutes, that ought to do it.You'll want to wrap around the O2 sensors, cutting holes in the tape will make it fray, starting below them will leave the hottest part of your header exposed.The tape fades, painting it with high heat paint will make the color last longer some people like the look of faded tape some want it to stay black. I prefer the natural tan or beige color but I did re paint the exhaust system before wrapping to help prevent rust.You'll want to try to keep the overlap even, more overlap=more tape=more heat retention, less overlap=less tape= less heat retention.I like to take the header off the bike and secure in a well padded vise but I have heard of people wrapping pipes on the bike or securing the end of the tape and rolling the header into it.Here's a pic of my freshly wrapped T header

Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by lanceropolis
Ok, I am gonna have to wrap my headers on my pipes. No way around it...

So knowing that I need help, I need tips from you guys that have done this before. Here is what I know...

1. Use gloves
2. Wrap tight and thick.

That's about it. I have read on here some where to soak your wrap before you start... Well, how long do I soak it, and in what? What is meant by "painting" the wrap? Well you get the drift.

Also, what about wrapping around the O2 sensor? Should I just cut a hole, or would it be better to wrap around that part?

Thanks in advance guys!
soak then wrap

gloves AND long sleeves
you don't need a clamp at the beginning
wrap it tight, clamp the other end.
you can start wrapping at the head end,
or at the baffle end

wrap around the O2 bungholes
don't cut the wrap

wrap around brackets
this is the backside
make the visible side look nice, neat, and uniform.
take your time wrapping around sh it
undo it and redo it if not acceptable

I like to terminate with these T-Bolt clamps

Be sure to clean things up before you start the machine,
or, whatever smudges, etc, will be forever cooked into the finish.

this high heat coating is good stuff.
It will lighten up over time.
you can recoat after a period of time,
if you want a fresh look.

these were nice boots at one time.
Don't think the wrap is gonna protect your boots, hands, or anything else.
It gets just as hot as a bare pipe would.

Short Shot Staggereds........

RineHarts.........

Last edited by mud; 06-05-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:37 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Mud that is great man!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mud,
As always, awesome post. Thanks for the detailed pics and description. I'm wrapping mine this weekend and hadn't yet decided on which clamps to use. Those T-bone clamps are nice. Clean and simple, just the way it ought to be. Thanks for sharing!
J

Old 12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I left mine natural. I'll let em burn for a while and see if I like it. If not I'll paint it black.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:22 PM
lanceropolis
Tourer

Special Ed, Mud, those wraps look incredible. And thank you so much guys for giving me my education. Mud that was such a great post. It helps me soooo much. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Wrapping pipes help