General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN Admin I have info on email problems with Vbulliten V3

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Default ATTN Admin I have info on email problems with Vbulliten V3

Greetings to all.
To those who are experiencing problems with email notifications and password retrievals, I believe I have some information that will help the admin try to figure out what is happening since they converted to
the Vbulliten Software Version 3.7.1
I saw all the posts about people not getting their notifications, and such, and it made me think. I saw the same problem on another site that had recently upgraded to Version 3 of the Vbulliten software.
It seems they were having the same problem, and so far have never fixed it, and it has been over a year.
Here is the problem as I see it. I did some experimenting with the notification emails, and yes, I wasn't getting them either.
THEN, I changed my email to a web based
email provider, such as gmail, yahoo, or some thing like that, and voilą, I am now getting the messages no problem. I believe the problem to be a glitch in the new Version of Vbulliten, and how it handles it's email clients.
There is a place for admin to edit the email settings on the server, and there are some changes that they need to make to get his working.
The problem lies in the email settings on the server. Emails that go out to web based email programs seem to go through OK, but ones going to any Windows server using the SMPT/Pop3 format get lost somewhere, or may never even leave the server. Admin should be able to find the errors in the email logs at the server level
I did some investigation, and have found that it is a documented problem in the new Version. See here, for information that should lead Admin to the fix of the settings I am talking about.
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1691
Look at the last post for the settings in question.
You will have to manually edit these files to get this working.
If this is not correct, simply google "Vbulliten V3 email failures"
and you should find a wealth of information on the subject.
There may also be some issues with certain email providers concerning their spam filters, and also user filters. All users should check their filters, or spam bucket to look for these lost messages, but I don't really think that is the entire issue here.
I have seen this before with V3 of the software, so I think a lot more people are having the same issues.
I hope this helps, and in my small way can contribute something to this forum.
Peace
Rags

Last edited by Ragtop; 08-11-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, that didn't make sense to me?

First, I'm getting emails to Outlook on POP3.

Second, SMTP applies only to the sending server. It is the send mail protocol.

So long as port 25 is open on the sending server, it shouldn't matter to whom the email is addressed.

The receiving node (to oversimplify) whether it is a web based email server or your own computer is concerned only with the POP protocol, often POP3.

I guess I just don't understand the point at all. ??

Last edited by JBaker421; 08-11-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry, I'm no email expert, but I do know this is a problem on other
sites that run Vbulliten V3 or higher, the notifications get messed up in the upgrade.
When I changed my email address from outlook Pop3, to a web based email, then I got my messages, when before I wasn't.
That's the point I was trying to make in my round about way I guess.
If your gettings your messages on outlook, then maybe this is not the problem, but it seems like it fixed my problem, and it is a know issue on other sites
Rags

Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Are you sure that when you were asking for emails to Outlook that you didn't maybe have an error in the email address you gave to this site or something?

From your end you don't have to worry about SMTP. It isn't even in play and as a matter of fact your computer isn't even set up to use it except to send your own emails to others.

When you set up an account in Outlook you DO need to choose the POP3 radio button when prompted.

I just dunno why yours didn't work...

Last edited by JBaker421; 08-11-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

No, I had my email entered correctly.
Sorry, maybe I am using the wrong email terms, but
this is a known problem with the software, that IS my point.
web based emails worked for me, and outlook did not.
I would like someone else who does not get the notifications
on outlook to try changing to yahoo, and see if they now get them.
It's a simple test that worked for me, and I am not the only one
who is not getting the notifications either.
Rags

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sending server has no knowledge of the receiving client. The only way this makes sense is if the forum server is mangling the mail headers. Computer-based email clients tend to be more fussy.

Having said that, I'm receiving email notifications all okay regardless of whether I use Outlook or a Web interface.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

oh well , so much for that theory

Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ragtop
oh well , so much for that theory
Don't give up on your theory so fast Ragtop. I couldn't get any email either using POP mail and I tried it with 3 different POP accounts. After switching my email address in the CP info to point to a MAPI (webmail) service (live.com), I am receiving forum email.

There Is Something F'd Up with POP Mail Delivery from HDForums.

Last edited by cHarley; 08-12-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:26 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface) is merely a proprietary Microsoft protocol that allows Outlook to talk to Microsoft's Exchange (proprietary email) Server.

I'm still lost as to how that could affect anything. I still think something has to be set up wrong on the receiving client, but I of course can't prove that without being there.

All email is web based in the sense that it uses the web but I know what you mean. Think about it. Most ISPs allow you to access your email via web interface, such as when you are traveling. Instead of pulling the emails to your computer via Outlook or other, you just go online and read them. In that case the whole thing acts much as any other web based email service.

Last edited by JBaker421; 08-12-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: test
Old 08-12-2008, 06:24 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, after a week of screwing around trying to get HDForums email notification to deliver mail to any of my SMTP/POP accounts via Outlook, I gave up. It's a Vbulletin issue and does not work at this point.

Here is what does work for users of Outlook 2003 or 2007:

• Setup an email account with Hotmail.com or Live.com
  • Go to your User CP / Edit Email & Password, and enter your new email account address there (twice)
  • This will automatically install and configure an additional account in Outlook for accessing your new webmail account.
That's it, your done. PM's, Thread Subscriptions, Post Reply's, etc. will now go to your Outlook Inbox based on the options selected in the User CP.

Quick Reply: ATTN Admin I have info on email problems with Vbulliten V3