Notices
2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

DK Customs - Did Harley OVERDO the Tech

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 07:49 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by uwiik
I wouldn’t worry at all… hi tech interior has been implemented in automotive scene for decades and people are getting more knowledgable and creative as well… I have seen people repairing lcd speedo, touchscreen, etc with various embedded functions on decades old cars with no problem whatsoever. I really don’t see if it’s any different to our 2024 screen, worse come to worse the Chinese will make complete replacement screen in a few years time and they will keep on selling it until 20-30 years later. Just look at so many Lexus/Mercedes/BMW new aftermarket screens on Alibaba, they still make these for decades old cars…It’s all about making money, as long as there are enough post 2024 Harleys in the world…
For me, and me alone, this scenario is from a dream world. That’s my kind response. That said, I hope Harley bike owners that own current models live in your dream world. I guess in another way, you are saying nothing is impossible when it comes to keeping your Harley on the road.

Old Yesterday | 08:11 AM
drc68
Cruiser

We have to realize that by the time H-D adopts technology it has already been in use for several years in the motorcycle and automotive industry. They're never on the bleeding edge but need to do whatever is necessary to compete, and the demand for modern technology is most often greater than the resistance to it. We old curmudgeons will complain but the industry moves forward with or without us.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:26 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Harley had to evolve they can’t keep selling carbs and analog gauges on 30k bikes

Who said anything about carbs? But why does it take a computer to run all facets of a vehicle? It is all about making vehicle obsolete quicker. It also helps to re-direct folks back to the dealerships with the "authorized computers" to do "authorized updates".

VortecCPI (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 09:36 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain

We can no longer get simple wiring harness for knock sensors for flagship Lexus LS430 from Toyota so I doubt very much we will be able to get all this junk from HD 15-20 years in the future... Still having trouble getting HD ABS Module replacements...

The whole idea of HD has been simplicity, dependability, durability, reliability, and... Repairability...

So... Yes... Way too much non-value-added automation... And... Way too little MOCO experience...

What do I NEVER want to be asked? "Which firmware do you have installed on your bike?"

I love HD but for THE BEST high-tech bike Honda GoldWing is the only way to go...

Last edited by VortecCPI; Yesterday at 09:44 AM.
willcasp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 01:13 PM
willcasp
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I am a fan of the @DK Custom videos as well. I pointed this out on their comments, and will point it out here. My biggest concern is how long will Harley provide security updates for their software? We can debate how well MSFT/Apple/Google, etc do this.. but they are way ahead of auto manufacturers and consumer product companies at doing this. When was the last time your 3 year old "smart TV" got an update? Look at the zero day's out there for older versions of Android TV. With the way these motorcycles connect to wifi and the internet, keeping head of zero day hacks with software is important. When the security updates stop, these devices need to at least be disconnected from any outside networks. In general, when security updates stop, it is time to replace the device.

I am also concerned as to how long the components in these devices will be available. Chips rot, solder joints break, etc. I still see 90's Road Kings out there as daily riders. Not sure my 2024 Road Glide will be operational in 2040.

The following 2 users liked this post by willcasp:
DK Custom (Yesterday), VortecCPI (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 01:50 PM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
willcasp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:12 PM
Issysportster
Cruiser

Another Harley bash thread, how surprising.

For those saying the old bikes are better...good luck getting those to pass modern noise and tailpipe emission standards. Think basic fuel injection is better? That won't pass emission standards either.

Also, does someone younger want a crappy analog gauge to look at, or a nice TFT? People say that old school carbs and whatnot are better and can always keep going. How many old school bikes with points or magnetos do you see on the road? If your magneto loses charge, good luck finding someone that can restore it. Think a Goldwing is better? Go ahead and buy one...and hope you don't have the catastrophic engine failure that many new Goldwings suffer from.

Just because you don't want or can't afford the new technology does not make it bad.

The following 3 users liked this post by Issysportster:
Clutched (Today), mjwebb (Yesterday), Vatman (Yesterday)
Old Today | 08:03 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Electronics go obsolete when the manufacture stops supporting the machine its used in. I see it at work from time to time. Manufactures are happy to sell you the latest and greatest product. Newer doesn't make it better but neither does older. Spend your money and take your chances but always enjoy riding. Life is short.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; Today at 08:07 AM.
Old Today | 08:24 AM
Bullwinkle58
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Issysportster
Another Harley bash thread, how surprising.

For those saying the old bikes are better...good luck getting those to pass modern noise and tailpipe emission standards. Think basic fuel injection is better? That won't pass emission standards either.

Also, does someone younger want a crappy analog gauge to look at, or a nice TFT? People say that old school carbs and whatnot are better and can always keep going. How many old school bikes with points or magnetos do you see on the road? If your magneto loses charge, good luck finding someone that can restore it. Think a Goldwing is better? Go ahead and buy one...and hope you don't have the catastrophic engine failure that many new Goldwings suffer from.

Just because you don't want or can't afford the new technology does not make it bad.
Old bikes / cars / trucks, etc. don't have to meet new vehicle standards.

Preferences are subjective. Lots of younger people like gauges and lots of older people like the TFT screen. The bitching would go away if it was reliable and not a $4k part to replace.

Even people who are nostalgic for that old stuff don't want to deal with it any more than as a hobby. You have to understand the frustration of being a decent home mechanic, and all of a sudden you need a $40k computer and exclusive secret training to diagnose & fix a common problem.

Seems to me that the complications & cost associated are a way around the Right to Repair law.