2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

New Recall / 0186 Center Cooled Regulator

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM
jake24lt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by Neanderthaler
Good catch. Must be a mistake. Center cooling wasn’t even out in Sep ‘23 as far as I know
Didn't the 23 CVOs get it first?

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
drc68
Cruiser
Received 159 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Neanderthaler
Good catch. Must be a mistake. Center cooling wasn’t even out in Sep ‘23 as far as I know
Center cooling was out since June '23 with the new body style CVOs.

Went to the dealer yesterday and was told the same as above re: parts kits being shipped the week of 10/14. They're not making appointments until they know the parts are incoming. I said something about making my own "kit" with a couple zip ties but they were silent on endorsing my solution...

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

gonna' clean up under there today and see if I can determine a routing problem or not

The following 5 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bill from tn (Yesterday), BrandonSmith (Yesterday), Clutched (Yesterday), ngshop (Yesterday), Wmitz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
steve04
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi guys, could someone that has identified the wire location please post a picture.

Thanks, Steve

The following users liked this post:
klammer76 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,298 Likes on 589 Posts

Might take less time ot take a pic of the wires that are not in imminent danger of failure....

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,128 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Here's the official recall document for dealers complete with pics (attached PDF).

Here are some of the pictures from that document for reference:

#1 is the voltage regulator connector. This wire going down along the frame is the one that gets damaged.

Here's a picture of the voltage regulator connector (#1 from the previous pic). Arrow points to the damage-prone area. DAMAGE TO THE WIRE CAN STILL OCCUR WITHOUT DAMAGING THE WIRE LOOM

Pulling the wire loom back, you can see the damage to the voltage regulator wiring.

The prevention: a cable tie! Add a cable tie around the voltage regulator wiring and coolant pump harness:

If you have damage already and they perform the service, you'll get this new connector and it'll have a retain clip like this:

Last edited by BrandonSmith; Yesterday at 01:50 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by BrandonSmith:
Beartooth Rider (Yesterday), Clutched (Yesterday), dgarber12771 (Yesterday), drc68 (Yesterday), jwt873 (Yesterday), lwfuller (Yesterday), mjwebb (Yesterday), NEWROADSTER (Yesterday), ngshop (Today), wjcbsr (Today), Wmitz (Yesterday) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
steve04
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Brandon

The following 2 users liked this post by steve04:
BrandonSmith (Yesterday), ngshop (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 568 Likes on 311 Posts

As people do this, please report back if it's necessary to remove all the stuff the instructions say some of us are lazy. It's me, I'm some of us.

Last edited by Gizmo83; Yesterday at 02:45 PM.
lwfuller (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 4,767 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
As people do this, please report back if it's necessary to remove all the stuff the instructions say some of us are lazy. It's me, I'm some of us.
glad Brandon came through with detailed illustrations because I cleaned mine up and found the wire, etc. but getting decent pictures with everything buttoned up the way it is would have been futile..good news for me is I see no way my configuration appears at risk of rubbing on the engine case the way the harness / wiring is currently routed .. I'll bring it in next month when the stuff shows up to apply a fix if they deem necessary .. might as well kill two birds with one stone as I have been getting the yellow triangle display lately, right after the thread of this happening that someone reported and I replied I would get it in ASAP to dealership, which I am not doing now that I got it because it disappears after an ignition cycle.. what a hypocrite I can be sometimes

Gizmo83 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
dgarber12771
Advanced
Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

I tore mine apart this evening (sorry, no pictures) and found a wire harness rubbing against the engine case, but it isn't/wasn't the one in the recall. The harness in the recall (the large, two-prong plug) on my bike was closer to the radiator, with the smaller harness behind it - opposite of the illustration Brandon posted. That smaller one was being pushed into the engine case on the brake side, and over on the clutch side near the left frame downtube.

I re-routed the harnesses the way the HD diagram illustrates it, and then used zip ties to keep both of them away from the engine case.

Oh - and yes. Best way to do it (for me, anyway) was to remove the engine guard and the voltage regulator. I also did as the instructions mentioned and pulled the overflow off the mount, and removed the two screws holding the fan frame to the bike and rolled it and the radiator out of the way. It's pretty straightforward, if a little tedious.

The following 4 users liked this post by dgarber12771:
BrandonSmith (Yesterday), Gizmo83 (Today), hdatontodo (Yesterday), ngshop (Today)