2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 10:17 AM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery Tender

hey fellow riders, I upload a tune on my bike and went for a ride to do some auto tunning when I come back home I reupload the new and improved calibration in order to do that you have to keep your ignition on on the bike and after I was done I didn't bother to restart the bike because I was kind of tired, the next day I went to start the bike and battery was so weak didn't want to turn the motor over, I recharge and bike fired right up, also just to say I only ride my Harley on the weekends during the week I dont mess with it at all, so my question is should I get one of those battery tenders to keep the battery in good health during the week
do you have one what you have ? and how you connect to the bike ?

Old 08-26-2024, 10:23 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,766 Likes on 19,304 Posts

Sash ... You'll get conflicting info on using a Battery Tender ... I've used one for years without any problems whatsoever ... Some will chime in it's a waste ... The way you use your scooter I'd say it is a great idea ... It can/will prolong the life of your battery ... My 2009 is on its second battery ( Original and now a Big Crank ) ... I attribute it to ( partially ) the us of a Battery Tender ... Hope this helps

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
06DynaMac (08-27-2024), Sash302 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 10:26 AM
Erratikmind
Stellar HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 259 Posts

My bikes and cars are always connected to a tender after they are parked. It's been a habit for many years.

Connect the tender to the OEM connector on the driver's side.

The following 3 users liked this post by Erratikmind:
joenc (08-27-2024), mjwebb (08-26-2024), Sash302 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 10:57 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 641 Posts

Here's what I use. It is the Battery Tender brand. It is for only one battery but there are models for multiple batteries.
Is compatible with AGM, GEL, Lead Acid batteries.
And, as stated above, connect the tender to the OEM connector on the left side, below the seat.

https://www.batterytender.com/products/plus

AGM, GEL, Lead Acid
AGM, GEL, Lead Acid
AGM, GEL, Lead Acid

Last edited by bradsULtd; 08-26-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:59 AM
skills
Tourer
Received 233 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Sash302
hey fellow riders, I upload a tune on my bike and went for a ride to do some auto tunning when I come back home I reupload the new and improved calibration in order to do that you have to keep your ignition on on the bike and after I was done I didn't bother to restart the bike because I was kind of tired, the next day I went to start the bike and battery was so weak didn't want to turn the motor over, I recharge and bike fired right up, also just to say I only ride my Harley on the weekends during the week I dont mess with it at all, so my question is should I get one of those battery tenders to keep the battery in good health during the week
do you have one what you have ? and how you connect to the bike ?
I lived off grid for seven years and learned allot about led acid batteries. One expert told me that led acid batteries can loose up to one pecent of charge per day when not in use depending on the conditions. The deeper you drain a battery the more likely you'll shorten it's life, kill it dead once or twice and you better watch how it recovers. I use tenders when ever my bike is not in use for extended pieriods of time even during the riding season and it's on all winter long. They are not expensive and quick and easy to plug in once you have a simple plug instaled on your bike (use an inline fuse). Doing this, my last battery was 7 years old and still working fine, I did replace it just last june out of an abundace of caution. In short, they are a great idea.

Old 08-26-2024, 11:30 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 204 Posts

This is also something to consider: https://pulsetech.com

The following users liked this post:
lp (08-28-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:35 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by Erratikmind
My bikes and cars are always connected to a tender after they are parked. It's been a habit for many years.

Connect the tender to the OEM connector on the driver's side.
my bikes have always been on a battery tender when parked .. it's proper care and battery health ... I've never had a battery problem, and I don't believe in coincidences much

Old 08-26-2024, 11:37 AM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 176 Likes on 93 Posts

I was surprised my 2023 new Street Glide came with the pig tail and a Harley brand tender as that was the first thing I asked my dealer to install, he said the new bike already has it.
I can't imagine "not" owning and tender for the bike as I added one to my 28 year old bike almost 28 years ago right after I purchased her and had my 1st no or slow to start mornings.

On that 28 year old bike I purchased new, with a tender always connected when parked I would get an average of 5-6 years ( as much as 7 years ) on my battery. The early Battery Tender brand was not the best IMO and would not last as long as my bike battery so I always went after marker tender but I think changes have been made to that brand and are perhaps fine now. I like the Harley brand tender but I have various brand tenders on most of my motorcycles and cars that are parked. I own a old Black and Decker water proof tender I paid $20 on Black Friday someplace years ago and is perfect for old cars parked in the rain but the Harley brand is one thing "Harley" that IMO still priced fair at $55 for the small version.

As I understand led acid batteries need electrons moving around to give long life, I believe in a battery tender, a few tenders in and around my garage are a MUST! Best $55 you will spend on a bike!

skills (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:46 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 204 Posts

I do not keep my 2014 FLHXS on a Battery Tender because it is ridden so often. My wife's 2013 FLS is always on a Battery tender because it is ridden less frequently.

I always liked the idea of a solar-powered Battery Tender in the garage window but I have never pulled the trigger...

skills (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 12:02 PM
drc68
Cruiser
Received 158 Likes on 82 Posts

I keep my bike on a tender whenever it's parked. I only unplug it to go for a ride or when I'm wrenching on it.

470004 (08-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Battery Tender