2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Well I pulled the trigger.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 12:07 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardcase61
I use Car play with Waze there are Youtube video on getting it set up without a mic.
+1 for using Waze and a radar detector together. Although Waze relies on other people, and is based on what was, it may not be what is. Nonetheless, it has saved me 100+ times when my detector did not alert.

From my highway patrol friend, "We mostly sit there with our radar off and watch for speeders, because you can definitely tell when someone is moving faster than the rest of the traffic. Then we spot one and flip the radar on, lock them, then there's no time for a detector to alert the driver and have them react quickly enough to slow down. We have them."

That is why Waze is such a big compliment to a radar detector. Your detector will not always alert.

From the same friend, "We sit there with Waze open on our phones and wait for the police icon to pop up. Then we mark it as 'not there', so it goes away." LMAO

Old 08-20-2024, 12:08 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
Thank you to all you guys, my first install will be my radar detector. I just removed it from the Road King last night.
What detector and mount?

Old 08-20-2024, 01:14 PM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 495 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
+1 for using Waze and a radar detector together. Although Waze relies on other people, and is based on what was, it may not be what is. Nonetheless, it has saved me 100+ times when my detector did not alert.

From my highway patrol friend, "We mostly sit there with our radar off and watch for speeders, because you can definitely tell when someone is moving faster than the rest of the traffic. Then we spot one and flip the radar on, lock them, then there's no time for a detector to alert the driver and have them react quickly enough to slow down. We have them."

That is why Waze is such a big compliment to a radar detector. Your detector will not always alert.

From the same friend, "We sit there with Waze open on our phones and wait for the police icon to pop up. Then we mark it as 'not there', so it goes away." LMAO
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
What detector and mount?
I have a DPS buddy that tells me the same thing LOL. I have not used Waze on the bike because I have never had a phone mount on a bike. This new bike with the car play hack will be different. With that being said, when I'm hauling ***, I usually hide in the slow lane and move out to pass, I will then move back in. I also always try to make sure there is some traffic ahead of me.
I don't have a detector specific mount, I had one on my Z900 Kawasaki that worked well, then I took a different approach on the Road King. I will post a couple of pictures. The little row of LED's on top of the radar detector are amplified and very bright, even in the bright sun. When the detector gets a bogey, they flash with the sound of the detector to give you an instant alert. I will post a couple of pictures of what I had
On this new bike I am thinking of possibly a windshield mount, but I won't know till I pick the bike up and receive the taller windshield.

Road king from the driver view.

Road king from the front of the bike. The fairing covers this up.

Kawazaki Z900RS

Old 08-20-2024, 03:04 PM
binarym
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
I had a good looking Road King Special and a hot rod Dyna bar hopper. I bought the Road King to be able to just enjoy the ride and I loved it. The problem is, I just turned 59 and me ears are getting bad. (I had them tested Thursday). The wind in my helmet was really starting to bother me, even with ear plugs. I had ordered a Memphis Shades bat wing fairing to try. I installed it Saturday Morning and it looked like crap.
Friday I had stopped by the dealership just to look at the new Road Glide CVO ST they had. The tried to make a deal with me, but as usual they wanted $5000.00 over sticker plus a bunch of stupid fees. They did offer good money for my bikes. I told them see you later!
About the time I got through removing the fairing from the Road King on Saturday, the dealer called back. The offer was $1000.00 less for my bikes, sticker for the Road Glide and just TT&L, no fees! Now we are talking!
I headed down to the dealership for a good long test ride and was very impressed with the bike. We signed the papers and I will pick it up Wednesday. So far, I have an 11" windshield coming from freedom shields and I will probably need to change the bars.
I am really excited to pick this one up and put some miles on it.
Congrats on the new bike. I like how you used your bad hearing to justify the purchase. Not so sure my bride will hear it that way for me or not. What was that again? Oh yes I got a new bike. Did I hear you say you bought a new bike? Yes, didn't you hear me discuss it with you the other day and you said that's nice. Oh I didn't understand what you said. I am going to try it some day. All joking aside. Nice bike I am Jelly!

Old 08-20-2024, 03:15 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,336 Likes on 4,764 Posts

Originally Posted by binarym
Congrats on the new bike. I like how you used your bad hearing to justify the purchase. Not so sure my bride will hear it that way for me or not. What was that again? Oh yes I got a new bike. Did I hear you say you bought a new bike? Yes, didn't you hear me discuss it with you the other day and you said that's nice. Oh I didn't understand what you said. I am going to try it some day. All joking aside. Nice bike I am Jelly!
my wife says I don't listen to what she says when she's talking to me, at least that's what I think she said

Old 08-21-2024, 05:48 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 495 Likes on 177 Posts

Mine girl friend is a by law here in Texas wife. We have lived together for 10 years but have still never gotten married. She has had a ring for 8 of those years. She really does not care what I buy and is never surprised. I work way to much and she takes care of everything else at home. She just plain makes my life better in every way.
She does not care to ride with me so my bikes have always been solo hot rods. Maybe when I get this one dialed in she might like it better, it's only a seat and some foot pegs away!