Notices
2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Black Thrashin Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 08:06 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed my skid plate today. Is anyone concerned about losing the 1/8 inch+ of thread on the two main bolts that hold this on? Did anyone remove the washers to accommodate? Or am I just being paranoid?

Old 08-20-2024, 06:32 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by tomato
I installed my skid plate today. Is anyone concerned about losing the 1/8 inch+ of thread on the two main bolts that hold this on? Did anyone remove the washers to accommodate? Or am I just being paranoid?
I goof around on this forum a lot but I did get this one in black as I had a rock kick up and can sure see damage happening in the right time/place/conditions.

I have seen some Youtube vids and one of them had the torque values with those bolts per the service manual. The motor mount bolts require some foot pounds of torque.

They did one side a time for their motor mounts and did the torque with thread lock.

I have seen several videos and some do not do thread lock nor torque.

Just asking about torque due to the fact I only have a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench for small jobs.

Is it a bad idea to just snug up the big motor mount bolts? and not torque them??

Last edited by GeneseeGap; 08-20-2024 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2024, 07:22 AM
tomato
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
I goof around on this forum a lot but I did get this one in black as I had a rock kick up and can sure see damage happening in the right time/place/conditions.

I have seen some Youtube vids and one of them had the torque values with those bolts per the service manual. The motor mount bolts require some foot pounds of torque.

They did one side a time for their motor mounts and did the torque with thread lock.

Just asking about torque due to the fact I only have a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench for small jobs.

Is it a bad idea to just snug up the big motor mount bolts? and not torque them??
I saw the same video - it was on Thrashin's website. I did add blue thread locker and torqued them to 45 ft lbs. I'd invest in a good torque wrench if you do any kind of regular wrenching.

Old 08-20-2024, 07:23 AM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 303 Likes on 206 Posts

I torque 95% of the fasteners on my bikes and have for 44 years. Buy a decent 3/8 drive tq wrench. Great to have and it’s not going to break the bank. Use a dot of blue loc tite and you’re good to go.

Old 08-20-2024, 07:25 AM
klammer76
Road Master
Received 303 Likes on 206 Posts

1/8 inch is a little over 1 thread. You’ll be fine.

Old 08-20-2024, 12:00 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,112 Likes on 1,842 Posts

I saw the same video - it was on Thrashin's website. I did add blue thread locker and torqued them to 45 ft lbs. I'd invest in a good torque wrench if you do any kind of regular wrenching.
That was my vid. If you have any questions, ask away. There's no concern about the extra 1/8" of material under the bolt head.

The following users liked this post:
tomato (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 01:38 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

That was an fantastic video.

I saw a few others and I like to see videos before I do anything.....

Thanks....it was clear and displaying the tools before the job was a good touch.

I won't go on and on and I bet someone asked you in the feedback but what kind of stand is that and is it bolted down?

Last edited by GeneseeGap; 08-20-2024 at 01:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 03:31 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,112 Likes on 1,842 Posts

That was an fantastic video.

I saw a few others and I like to see videos before I do anything.....

Thanks....it was clear and displaying the tools before the job was a good touch.

I won't go on and on and I bet someone asked you in the feedback but what kind of stand is that and is it bolted down?
Thank you. It is a Cruiser Cradle Wheel Chock 92900001 | Harley-Davidson USA.
Not bolted down. Easy enough to get the bike in and out. Would be easier bolted down though.

Old 09-09-2024, 10:37 PM
Robert Greene Sr.
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=BrandonSmith;21769554]他们肯定有其他事情要做。这不常见。正如你在这里看到的,没有悬垂的电线。
[/QUOTE
]I’m also planning to install the skid plate. The wires underneath my 2024 RG are hanging down, and I feel like I need to manage those wires.