2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Who's waiting for a 2025?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 03:04 AM
Nutty
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Yeah I don't think I would want VVT anyway. I'd rather the ability to do engine upgrades even though I hardly ever do. A cam and exhaust is good enough. Plus I feel with VVT it's just one more thing to go wrong. I'm more into longevity then performance.
Harley (falsely) call it VVT but it’s not, it’s a VCT system which can’t vary ex and inlet separately. Cars gave this pretty much useless system away 20+ years ago…

Old 08-17-2024, 07:54 AM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

Saw on the news HD is moving production to Thiland for the model year 2025.

Old 08-17-2024, 08:09 AM
drc68
Cruiser
Received 165 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider3223
Saw on the news HD is moving production to Thiland for the model year 2025.
Only the RevMax bikes. And they said it's "temporary " and "only for 2025."

They also claim the move will have "no impact on employment at U.S. facilities." How can it not?

They had also previously said bikes intended for the American market would be made in America.

They're liars. And when they're not outright lying, they're not telling the whole truth. I'd be willing to bet that the "temporary" condition is actually that the core product is American made for 2025, and the goal is to move all production overseas to lower costs to compete globally.

The MoCo has not been "American" since global investors took seats on the board.

Old 08-17-2024, 08:17 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

In a statement, a spokesperson for Harley-Davidson confirmed the company will temporarily have three of its models produced overseas. The company says the "non-core Revolution Max powertrain equipped models (Pan America, Sportster S, Nightster)" will move to its manufacturing facility in Thailand for model year 2025.

that is what I got from a local news source.

Guess they could be lying.

Old 08-17-2024, 08:30 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,381 Likes on 4,785 Posts

Originally Posted by drc68
Only the RevMax bikes. And they said it's "temporary " and "only for 2025."

They also claim the move will have "no impact on employment at U.S. facilities." How can it not?

They had also previously said bikes intended for the American market would be made in America.

They're liars. And when they're not outright lying, they're not telling the whole truth. I'd be willing to bet that the "temporary" condition is actually that the core product is American made for 2025, and the goal is to move all production overseas to lower costs to compete globally.

The MoCo has not been "American" since global investors took seats on the board.
the Toyota Camry has been the most American Made automobile since 2015..qualifies based on parts content percentage, built and sold in America..it's the modern age world we live in

The following users liked this post:
ChrisHo (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 08:40 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,350 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
the Toyota Camry has been the most American Made automobile since 2015..qualifies based on parts content percentage, built and sold in America..it's the modern age world we live in
It is people like you that allow this,

I still drive GMs, that are made in Indiana. I realize people will say companies are owned by share holders, but I still want a company based in US. I don't want one based in Asia.
Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
In a statement, a spokesperson for Harley-Davidson confirmed the company will temporarily have three of its models produced overseas. The company says the "non-core Revolution Max powertrain equipped models (Pan America, Sportster S, Nightster)" will move to its manufacturing facility in Thailand for model year 2025.

So it sounds like they are making some bikes overseas to me.

Old 08-17-2024, 08:44 AM
drc68
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap

As I said, when they're not outright lying, they're not telling the entire truth.

They're not explaining how this move would possibly have "no impact on employment in U.S. facilities," for one.

And the $9 million investment in US facilities would seem small compared to the cost of moving manufacturing overseas, for one year, then bringing it back. When you consider the tiny percentage of global revenue that U.S. sales of these models represent the overall impact probably isn't all that significant. It might make sense to move production overseas. If efficiency and profitability are the goals, why bring it back?

Just one last thought then I'll bow out. I assume they're being deceitful based on recent history. The promise that bikes sold in America would be American made was obviously not a promise they intended to keep. The statement regarding this new move having no impact on American jobs just doesn't seem plausible. Perhaps my BS meter is over sensitive but it has been right more often than wrong. In the end this all may prove to be much ado about nothing and we'll all carry on just fine.

Old 08-17-2024, 08:45 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,381 Likes on 4,785 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
It is people like you that allow this,
yeah, I should have disallowed it

Old 08-17-2024, 08:58 AM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

At least it’s the bikes that most people don’t want anyway that are being produced overseas. But I’d be willing to bet that it’s not just for the 2025 model year. That just doesn’t make any sense at all. Why would they spend all the money and effort to move production overseas for just one year?

Old 08-17-2024, 09:10 AM
drc68
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mjwebb
This is true. Perhaps Indian is now more American than Harley-Davidson, who knows. Harley is unique in that no other brand is more tightly associated with being American, so anything less than 100% is unacceptable to a larger percentage of their customers. Perhaps that is why I took more offense to their deception than I have from other companies, even though they all do it and it's expected.

For better or worse, still have my Road Glide, it's time to gear up and go for a ride.

Quick Reply: Who's waiting for a 2025?