2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Is the Street Glide Now the Red-Headed Stepchild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 06:52 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,844 Likes on 3,182 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbar
Red headed stepchild would imply it's not getting any attention. The Street Glide got a lot of attention from the MOCO in 2024, just like it's sibling the Road Glide.
Absolutely. When I trade, I will get another. Long live the bat!

As for bars, we change for many reasons. Surprisingly, there are many on here that change bars for looks, and pictures, not matter how miserable they might make the rider on a long trip.

For most, bars are a very personal choice. I am from the camp that anything can be changed to suit my needs. Others actually make the bike buying decision on what bars come on the bike from the assembly line. I don't understand them, and they don't understand me

The following users liked this post:
07UltraGuy (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:36 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,737 Likes on 2,024 Posts

The batwing design is more like the prom queen than the redheaded step child.

Old 06-27-2024, 06:04 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,209 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Does harley restrict the sale of CVO parts? I always figured a part number was a part number.
I will not say all of them, but some of them yes. I put the Street Glide Tri-Bar rear fender skirt and light on the back of my RG in 2007 or maybe 2008. Definitely a protected part, had to have a VIN# to prove you owned one to buy new from dealership, again my buddy hooked me up. Pretty sure that new headlight surround was the same, but that came on a CVO and not a standard model. Not sure what the rules are for protected parts, but they do it.

Remember the 100th Anniversary tank badges. If you wrecked and needed a new set, you had to send the wrecked set back to Milwaukee. And they would not give up that stripe with the little HD logo in it. The also still will not give you the paint codes for a CVO model, I tried hard 10 years ago for an amazing sparkling silver they had on the CVO Road Glide, no one would give it up.

Old 06-27-2024, 07:10 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,055 Likes on 1,623 Posts

I can see anniv tank sets, maybe paint sets in general for CVOs. But other parts I never would have guessed. I would have guessed, they just don't make much replacement parts due to the limited run of CVOs. I wonder if this also may have to do with it. They don't want to do a special run or use limited parts? Though I also thought CVOs were just bolt on from the calalogue.

I bought a chrome cover off ebay, while drinking in my recliner in my underwear off a CVO for $25. I feel kinda special about it.

Old 06-28-2024, 10:48 AM
flh canuck
Cruiser
Received 254 Likes on 127 Posts

I've owned three batwings since 2000 and love them. That being said, when I sit on the new 2024 models, the bars on the new Street Glide seem way too low, while the bars on the new Road Glide seem perfect.

If I was to go for a new touring bike, the Road Glide would definitely be a serious contender.

Old 06-28-2024, 12:19 PM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by flh canuck
I've owned three batwings since 2000 and love them. That being said, when I sit on the new 2024 models, the bars on the new Street Glide seem way too low, while the bars on the new Road Glide seem perfect.

If I was to go for a new touring bike, the Road Glide would definitely be a serious contender.
compared to the Rushmore street glides, the bars on the 24s are similar but slightly lower.

Old 06-28-2024, 01:04 PM
MarkSG
Cruiser
Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

I am a Batwing guy but am very glad they make a couple of different options.

I can't imagine having the windsieid so far out front and it doesn't turn when I do.

Funny though as the old cafe racers we used to race were full body fairing fix to the frame.
My old vintage stuff has the windshield 8" from my chin and not 24" like a RG.

Old 06-28-2024, 02:54 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,112 Likes on 509 Posts

Jessica Rabbit is a red headded stepchild

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jessica rabbit.pdf (73.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Taxgod4u; 06-28-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
mikes84790
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the Street Glide is better looking and has the added benefit of being lighter...they are the same bike more or less anyway. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? So buy what you want and love it.

The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,067 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I will not say all of them, but some of them yes. I put the Street Glide Tri-Bar rear fender skirt and light on the back of my RG in 2007 or maybe 2008. Definitely a protected part, had to have a VIN# to prove you owned one to buy new from dealership, again my buddy hooked me up. Pretty sure that new headlight surround was the same, but that came on a CVO and not a standard model. Not sure what the rules are for protected parts, but they do it.

Remember the 100th Anniversary tank badges. If you wrecked and needed a new set, you had to send the wrecked set back to Milwaukee. And they would not give up that stripe with the little HD logo in it. The also still will not give you the paint codes for a CVO model, I tried hard 10 years ago for an amazing sparkling silver they had on the CVO Road Glide, no one would give it up.
CVP can and will paint any HD color, pin strip ect CVO or not to perfections with out a doubt.

Quick Reply: Is the Street Glide Now the Red-Headed Stepchild?