2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 08:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,023 Likes on 4,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Interesting. I didn't realize tire pressure made a difference when it cones to that. I'll check it out. I'm guessing keeping up with that to exact psi and the combination of the better balance of the 24 would make a big difference for me.
personally, I would not take pumping up the front tire to 40 lightly..just because it may help in certain low speed maneuvers, in the heat of the Summer when it will increase to at least mid 40s and considering tar snakes, wet greasy roads at times, etc. you could find yourself getting into traction trouble leaned over at speed..'tread lightly' (pun intended) before making wholesale changes I guess is what I'm saying

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
drc68 (07-01-2024), Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:04 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 659 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
personally, I would not take pumping up the front tire to 40 lightly..just because it may help in certain low speed maneuvers, in the heat of the Summer when it will increase to at least mid 40s and considering tar snakes, wet greasy roads at times, etc. you could find yourself getting into traction trouble leaned over at speed..'tread lightly' (pun intended) before making wholesale changes I guess is what I'm saying
I was thinking that myself. If you over inflated the tire and then it's 95 degrees out that doesn't sound too safe. Ive always stuck to the psi the manufacturer suggests

Old 06-30-2024, 06:22 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 1,711 Posts

I’m still trying to figure out how these two bikes are even being compared.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 07:57 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I’m still trying to figure out how these two bikes are even being compared.
Both have fixed fairing and bags. What's so hard to figure out? There's a lot of us out there that shop the 2. Why? Because alot of us are caught wondering should we go full heavy bagger or a lighter alternative? There's alot of folks that hang up their baggers and switch to the ST because they don't want the extra size or weight anymore. Happens all the time.

I was all set on eventually getting the FXLRST. I already knew the Road Glide was too top heavy and more then I needed. But then the 2024 RG came out. They made it much more balanced then the previous model more lower center of gravity and shaved some weight and the stock bars are perfect. And a bunch of other things that make me like it more then the previous model. So now I'm torn.

BrandonSmith (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 06:13 AM
drc68
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Both have fixed fairing and bags. What's so hard to figure out? There's a lot of us out there that shop the 2. Why? Because alot of us are caught wondering should we go full heavy bagger or a lighter alternative? There's alot of folks that hang up their baggers and switch to the ST because they don't want the extra size or weight anymore. Happens all the time.

I was all set on eventually getting the FXLRST. I already knew the Road Glide was too top heavy and more then I needed. But then the 2024 RG came out. They made it much more balanced then the previous model more lower center of gravity and shaved some weight and the stock bars are perfect. And a bunch of other things that make me like it more then the previous model. So now I'm torn.
I'm the exact opposite, I never got comfortable on the softail. From the beginning I've felt more comfortable on a bagger.

Regarding slow maneuvering, to me, front tire PSI is moot as long as it's not seriously under/overinflated. The pressure will fluctuate anyway with temperature and riding, often by more than that 2psi. I just keep in the friction zone and cover/light pressure on the rear brake, power to the rear wheel keeps it stable. I don't have much to compare it to, I'm still relatively new and certainly not highly skilled, others can probably explain it better.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:06 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by drc68
I'm the exact opposite, I never got comfortable on the softail. From the beginning I've felt more comfortable on a bagger.

Regarding slow maneuvering, to me, front tire PSI is moot as long as it's not seriously under/overinflated. The pressure will fluctuate anyway with temperature and riding, often by more than that 2psi. I just keep in the friction zone and cover/light pressure on the rear brake, power to the rear wheel keeps it stable. I don't have much to compare it to, I'm still relatively new and certainly not highly skilled, others can probably explain it better.
I've always loved the last gen Softail like my Crossbones because how low center of gravity the weight distribution is. You would be surprised how comfortable it is with the wide tractor seat, half moon foot boards and mini apes. Dont have much experience with the current generation Softails. Sitting on them mostly is about all. The Lowriders do feel a bit cramped.

As far as baggers being comfortable. I agree 100%. Once rolling my 2018 RKS was a road sofa. But it had that top heavy center of gravity that i didn't like in slow situations. The new 2024 Road Glide feels much better in that department from what I experienced off the stand and sitting on it. I bet riding it would be even better. Which is why im interested in possibly getting one. I would love the wind protection, bags, and comfort in a well balanced package. That would be a Goldilocks scenario for me.

I've been riding since I was a kid. I'm excellent with the friction zone and maneuvering. Still dont like a top heavy unbalanced bike. Never have. I always look for a bike with a lower center of gravity regardless. Just what I like. It makes riding more fun. Hoping the new RG fits that bill.

Old 07-01-2024, 12:38 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 1,711 Posts

The lower the bars, the less top-heavy the bike feels.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:09 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Not in my experience. Actually it's the opposite. My RoadKing had pretty low bars stock for example and they sucked. The new Road Glide has higher bars and more leverage even just getting the bike off the stand. Obviously I'm not talking about monster ape hangers. But the bars only make a difference in leverage handling and comfort.
As far as a bike being top heavy that's all in the design of the motorcycle and where the weight is distributed. The previous touring models are notorious for being top heavy.

Old 07-01-2024, 06:07 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 965 Likes on 467 Posts

This has been my experience as well. Lower the bars, I feel like I'm in more control of the bike. I tried setting up my bars up high few times, and I was not able to hold the bike stable at slow speeds.

No I have them set right in the middle, and with lots of slow speed practice sessions, It's comfortable. I could go one or two inches up.

BrandonSmith (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:27 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,023 Likes on 4,643 Posts

there's a reason you don't see Ape Hangers on MX, MotoGP or Flat Track racing bikes!

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
BrandonSmith (07-01-2024), pyuchem (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?