Notices
2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 10:58 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,932 Likes on 1,442 Posts

When the LRST was 1st announced in Jan of '22, I contacted my dealer to have them contact me for a test ride when they got one. I was coming from a 2013 Dyna Switchback with upgraded suspension and aftermarket cams.

That Apr, they got one in, and I was the 1st at that dealer to test ride one. While there, I mentioned, I also wanted to test ride an RGS. I had very very high hopes for the LRST, for on paper, this looked like the perfect replacement for the Switchback. Mid sized bike, bags, etc. The 117 stock motor made about the same power as the 103 TC with aftermarket cams (Woods 222), and the rear suspension, while not perfect, was considerably better than the stock Dyna suspension. The ergos for me.....sucked. The foot placement, and totally different feel from a rubber mounted engine killed that bike for me. After bringing the bike back to the dealer, I hopped on the RGS and went off. Before I made it out of parking lot, I had a smile on my face, and knew that yes, while I'd have to upgrade the suspension, the RG was the platform I wanted.

I went with the standard 107 with HD's Stage II Torque Cam.

Was at the dealer a couple of months and took a test ride on a 24 RG. The stock handlebars of the 24 blow away the 22. I didn't find much difference in the front suspension compared to the stock '22, maybe a little better. The shocks are reflavored from what you'd find on a Road King / Ultra / Limited being 13". Just the additional travel in the shock going from 12" to 13" makes a huge difference. 24 has better shocks, but they are still far from great. Was very tempted by the '24, but after doing front suspension upgrades, Ohlins HD 044 shocks, and the Stage II, my bike has pretty much the same power with much better suspension.....wasn't enough of a difference to open my wallet. I will say though, aesthetically, the 24 looks much better than the RG's before it.

The following users liked this post:
Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 11:39 AM
drc68
Cruiser
Received 164 Likes on 85 Posts

The '24 SG and RG are definitely lighter off the stand than the '23-older. Stock-for-stock, the handling and ride are superior. Not night and day, but noticeable. My '23 with Legend Revo A's rode better but the tracking into corners is better on the '24. I credit a lot of the handling feel to the taller bars, and to a lesser extent the slight difference in weight distribution. But there's no doubt these new bikes are an improvement.

Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 06:46 PM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I don't doubt what your saying at all. I noticed the difference just sitting on one. Im afraid that if I actually take one for a ride and the slow maneuvering handling is light years better then even my 2018 Road King was with no fairing ill be sucked into buying one. And I already have a deep hole in my pocket due to life circumstances.
might not be as bad as you think money wise. Some dealers here in Michigan are now offering JD power retail value for trade ins on the new 24s. If you take your time you might be able to get a new 24 for a pretty decent price. Find a dealer that has lots of them in stock. I paid a lot for my bike because I didn’t realize this. Then I hear of people paying 5-6k less for the same bike!

Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:06 PM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 57 Posts

I read this whole thread......... Hey ZAKK13.... don't forget to post some pic of your new Road Glide....swifty

Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:31 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider3223
might not be as bad as you think money wise. Some dealers here in Michigan are now offering JD power retail value for trade ins on the new 24s. If you take your time you might be able to get a new 24 for a pretty decent price. Find a dealer that has lots of them in stock. I paid a lot for my bike because I didn’t realize this. Then I hear of people paying 5-6k less for the same bike!
$5k less would be the ticket!! No way I would pay full price plus extra for $850 color option paint, $1,350 for black parts, $850 for freight plus tax. ect ect. There smoking crack with all those extra fees.

Old 06-28-2024, 07:33 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by drc68
The '24 SG and RG are definitely lighter off the stand than the '23-older. Stock-for-stock, the handling and ride are superior. Not night and day, but noticeable. My '23 with Legend Revo A's rode better but the tracking into corners is better on the '24. I credit a lot of the handling feel to the taller bars, and to a lesser extent the slight difference in weight distribution. But there's no doubt these new bikes are an improvement.
How's the slow maneuvering handling around parking lots and tight areas on the 24s compared to the 23s? I always hated that top heavy flip flop feeling of the older touring bikes. Even my 18 RoadKing.

Old 06-28-2024, 08:08 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,024 Likes on 502 Posts

How's the slow maneuvering handling around parking lots and tight areas on the 24s compared to the 23s? I always hated that top heavy flip flop feeling of the older touring bikes. Even my 18 RoadKing.
I remember in one of the videos of Jerry Palidino who teaches slow speed maneuvers, he explains something to do with tire pressure. I don't remember what PSI he recommends, I'll have to hunt that video down. After you set it to that PSI it takes away that flip flop front end feeling you are talking about.

I do slow speed drills every week and I try to do my best to keep the throttle loaded and apply rear brake pressure until complete stop, that helps some with that flip flop issue. But like you said it's there, but with so much practice my brain has just tuned that out and it's become natural to handle that issue. Only thing that bugs me now is that front dive when I sometimes grab front brake aggressively. With change to fork cartridge that will be resolved.

Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,378 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I've never had any problems with any of them to be honest..it's just like..well..riding a bike

Old 06-28-2024, 08:15 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,024 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by pyuchem
I remember in one of the videos of Jerry Palidino who teaches slow speed maneuvers, he explains something to do with tire pressure. I don't remember what PSI he recommends, I'll have to hunt that video down. After you set it to that PSI it takes away that flip flop front end feeling you are talking about.

I do slow speed drills every week and I try to do my best to keep the throttle loaded and apply rear brake pressure until complete stop, that helps some with that flip flop issue. But like you said it's there, but with so much practice my brain has just tuned that out and it's become natural to handle that issue. Only thing that bugs me now is that front dive when I sometimes grab front brake aggressively. With change to fork cartridge that will be resolved.

Ok found it...here it is....

in his own words....

You'd be amazed at the difference a couple extra pounds of air in the front tire of your heavyweight motorcycle makes. For instance, on harley touring bikes, if you have less than 38 lbs. of air in your front tire, when you turn the bars more than half way, it feels like the bars want to flop to full lock. Simply adding a couple more pounds of air in the front tire prevents this flopping sensation and makes it easier to steer. I keep 40 lbs. of air, front and rear in my harley touring motorcycles, Electra Glide and Road King. Check your tire pressure at least once per week and especially when you go out to practice your skills.

Last edited by pyuchem; 06-28-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Zakk13 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:42 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by pyuchem
Ok found it...here it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucazvuKI95Q

in his own words....

You'd be amazed at the difference a couple extra pounds of air in the front tire of your heavyweight motorcycle makes. For instance, on harley touring bikes, if you have less than 38 lbs. of air in your front tire, when you turn the bars more than half way, it feels like the bars want to flop to full lock. Simply adding a couple more pounds of air in the front tire prevents this flopping sensation and makes it easier to steer. I keep 40 lbs. of air, front and rear in my harley touring motorcycles, Electra Glide and Road King. Check your tire pressure at least once per week and especially when you go out to practice your skills.
Interesting. I didn't realize tire pressure made a difference when it cones to that. I'll check it out. I'm guessing keeping up with that to exact psi and the combination of the better balance of the 24 would make a big difference for me.

Quick Reply: Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?