Notices
2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 05:46 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I went from a 2023 Low Rider ST to my 2024 Road Glide and to be honest, the Low Rider ST is outclassed on every level. I went with a Low Rider ST over a previous generation Street Glide because it had a superior suspension and the wind protection out of the box was good around town and I had hoped I could solve highway wind with a new windshield. However the Low Rider ST is just a mess ergonomics wise and I didn't realize how bad it was till a few months in and needing risers to make the steering feel more natural. I could never fix the wind at highway speeds having tried three wind screens. Luggage of course required a top case, I did Advanblack and it served me well.

One trip on the new Street Glide and Road Glide instantly sold me that these bikes are just hands down better than the previous generation but also flat out they felt nimbler and far smoother than the Low Rider ST. Yeah on paper it weighs nearly hundred pounds more but the steering geometry and front tire combine to make these bikes feel very light on their feet. Combined with far better engine management and they may as well be different generations of motors. Finally there the new bikes win hands down over the Low Rider ST is their wind protection is night and day better.

I do agree on pricing. The new bikes really make the pricing of other models from both Softail to other Tour models seem out of whack for what they offer.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisHo:
rauchman (06-27-2024), Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 08:57 PM
Headhunter68
Intermediate
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2024 RG and came off a 2022 RGS and there’s not much difference between the two handling wise. There certainly isn’t a Big difference. I will say the factory suspension is a little better than previous years, I can’t feel any weight difference. Just my experience. A Low Rider ST is a different animal

Old 06-22-2024, 09:38 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
I went from a 2023 Low Rider ST to my 2024 Road Glide and to be honest, the Low Rider ST is outclassed on every level. I went with a Low Rider ST over a previous generation Street Glide because it had a superior suspension and the wind protection out of the box was good around town and I had hoped I could solve highway wind with a new windshield. However the Low Rider ST is just a mess ergonomics wise and I didn't realize how bad it was till a few months in and needing risers to make the steering feel more natural. I could never fix the wind at highway speeds having tried three wind screens. Luggage of course required a top case, I did Advanblack and it served me well.

One trip on the new Street Glide and Road Glide instantly sold me that these bikes are just hands down better than the previous generation but also flat out they felt nimbler and far smoother than the Low Rider ST. Yeah on paper it weighs nearly hundred pounds more but the steering geometry and front tire combine to make these bikes feel very light on their feet. Combined with far better engine management and they may as well be different generations of motors. Finally there the new bikes win hands down over the Low Rider ST is their wind protection is night and day better.

I do agree on pricing. The new bikes really make the pricing of other models from both Softail to other Tour models seem out of whack for what they offer.
Nice! It's crazy the different opinions on this as far as the 24 vs the 23 RG. Some say not much of a difference and others say there is. Either way I felt like there was a difference just taking it off the stand and sitting on it. In the past when I would try out the older RGs I instantly thought nope and gravitated to the Street Glide and ultimately bought a RoadKing Special.

And just as I suspected the new Road Glide sounds like its night and day better then the LRST. Price wise it seems to make more sense as well. What the hell is Harley thinking selling a Softail for $24k? Sh$t is out of control.

Old 06-23-2024, 12:41 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

I went the other way, from 2021 RGS to a 2023 LRST and the experience and expectations was the other way around. The '21 RGS is my fourth touring, the '23 LRST is my second softail, first one was an '2003 Heritage. The 117lbs weight difference was night and day, I can easily whip this LRST at slow speeds and parking was a breeze backing out/reversing with my 150lbs 5'8" body mass 32" inseam legs...lol

The 117ci LRST power to weight ratio vs the 114ci is so obvious, LRST will run circles all day over the RGS. It took me several hundred miles to get used to the mid controls and I like them now, I can see why mid controls are much better on for canyon carving for increase clearance before touching down. With regard to wind management, it is manageable up to 70mph, after that, all bets are off, may change to an aftermarket.

I test rode the new '24 RG and I really did not find any significant difference vs my '21 RGS in terms of weight, although it felt a little bit easier to upright from side stand to center, the handle bar sits much higher vs prior MY, one big difference was on sport ride mode, the bike was very jerky and felt the bike was on "steroids"..lol...The touring frame IMO, still handles the engine vibration much better vs the softails solid mounted engine frame, my LSRT handle bar still vibrates at certain speeds and rpms, but nothing that I cannot handle.

Hard to compare the two, the RGS is still very heavy at slow speeds and parking, both has its pros and cons and it really depends on what type of riding one is planning to do with a touring and a Softail frame.

Last edited by DC2009EGUC; 06-23-2024 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 06-23-2024, 07:37 AM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2024 Road Glide and a 22 LRS 117. The RG has quicker steering and wants to lean quicker than the LRS. The 117 RG also feels quicker than my 117 LRS. I was very impressed when I test road the RG, and that’s why I bought it.

The LRS is also a great bike. Much leaner feeling and easier to handle at low speed and has a low seat height. However, I don’t think it has as show turning radius.

Overall to great bikes that complement one another. I take my wife out on trips with the RG, and I storm the backroads and twisties with the LRS.

The following users liked this post:
Zakk13 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 07:57 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DC2009EGUC
I went the other way, from 2021 RGS to a 2023 LRST and the experience and expectations was the other way around. The '21 RGS is my fourth touring, the '23 LRST is my second softail, first one was an '2003 Heritage. The 117lbs weight difference was night and day, I can easily whip this LRST at slow speeds and parking was a breeze backing out/reversing with my 150lbs 5'8" body mass 32" inseam legs...lol

The 117ci LRST power to weight ratio vs the 114ci is so obvious, LRST will run circles all day over the RGS. It took me several hundred miles to get used to the mid controls and I like them now, I can see why mid controls are much better on for canyon carving for increase clearance before touching down. With regard to wind management, it is manageable up to 70mph, after that, all bets are off, may change to an aftermarket.

I test rode the new '24 RG and I really did not find any significant difference vs my '21 RGS in terms of weight, although it felt a little bit easier to upright from side stand to center, the handle bar sits much higher vs prior MY, one big difference was on sport ride mode, the bike was very jerky and felt the bike was on "steroids"..lol...The touring frame IMO, still handles the engine vibration much better vs the softails solid mounted engine frame, my LSRT handle bar still vibrates at certain speeds and rpms, but nothing that I cannot handle.

Hard to compare the two, the RGS is still very heavy at slow speeds and parking, both has its pros and cons and it really depends on what type of riding one is planning to do with a touring and a Softail frame.

Yeah this is where im torn is the slow speed handling. My riding style is definitely mainly shorter rides then longer trips. So I would run into more slow speed maneuvering situations then someone heading on long cross country highway trips. So I definitely don't want to deal with the extra heft if I don't need too. That's where the Low Rider ST comes in. Still something for a little bit longer day trips with wind protection and bags. But the price makes it hard to justify ($24k) especially when I already own a Softail and it's the Crossbones and in my opinion is one of the coolest and fun Harley Davidsons ever produced. And I still have doubts the LRST would handle the interstate comfortablely buy me.

So since I already have a Softail that I can technically get a windshield and bags for but (don't want to) that leaves me thinking of the 24 Road Glide. I think it would be a great bike to take on longer rides then I currently do and maybe open up the option for riding the highway to take me there. Taking the Crossbones on the interstate with no wind protection and so so suspension at 70+ doesn't sound appealing. Especially where I live. Highway is on top of mountains mostly with insane crosswind, lots of pot holes and heavy semi truck traffic. If I wanted to jump on the highway to take a 2.5 hr trip to Gettysburg or somewhere to check out the battlefield and a change of scenery the Road Glide would be the ticket. I think it's size and frame, big fairing, superior suspension ect ect would handle that highway situation better then any Softail would. Even the LRST. Just thinking out loud.

And I would still have my Crossbones for the 90% riding I do locally. Crossbones/24 RG would be a good combo.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:12 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

I think the new road glide comes off the stand easier since it's got the taller bars with more leverage. I had similar bars on my old ones, that's why there is no difference in my observation.

The one thing I hate about the FXLRST is the vibration. It makes me not want to rev it up. It's no better in the handlebars than my rigid mounted shovels and evos. That gets to you blasting down the highway for hours at a time at 80 mph. I also think the digital gauge sucks. (I have the Koso, but it still blows)

You get more for your money with the Road Glide for sure, especially for travelling.

Zakk13 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 08:34 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrlexus
I think the new road glide comes off the stand easier since it's got the taller bars with more leverage. I had similar bars on my old ones, that's why there is no difference in my observation.

The one thing I hate about the FXLRST is the vibration. It makes me not want to rev it up. It's no better in the handlebars than my rigid mounted shovels and evos. That gets to you blasting down the highway for hours at a time at 80 mph. I also think the digital gauge sucks. (I have the Koso, but it still blows)

You get more for your money with the Road Glide for sure, especially for travelling.
That's what I'm thinking. I would definitely get more for my money considering the prices of both with the 24 RG. And wouldn't want to deal with unwanted vibration in a smaller package on top of the wind and everything else on the highway. Kinda sucks though because I always wanted Harley to make a bike like the FXLRST. I really wanted one. But the price is out of wack now for what it is.

I do think the taller bars on the new RG provide better leverage coming off the stand. No doubt. But it's probably a combination of small things like that. The tall bars, the 16lbs shaved off the top of the bike, better suspension and the inner fairing feels closer to me which probably a placebo effect but I like that better and makes me more comfortable then the older fairing that felt further away. It's weird but just the way I feel. It's why I used to like the older Street Glide better then the older RG. All those little things combined probably make one big difference to me. If that makes sense. Which is huge for me. Especially with my back issues.

I think its possible the new RG with a rider back rest would be the ticket for me to go on longer rides then I currently do. My Crossbones with the wide sprung tractor seat is really comfortable for local rides. It really soaks up the imperfections in the road but probably not ideal for longer highway riding like the RG would.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
That's what I'm thinking. I would definitely get more for my money considering the prices of both with the 24 RG. And wouldn't want to deal with unwanted vibration in a smaller package on top of the wind and everything else on the highway. Kinda sucks though because I always wanted Harley to make a bike like the FXLRST. I really wanted one. But the price is out of wack now for what it is.

I do think the taller bars on the new RG provide better leverage coming off the stand. No doubt. But it's probably a combination of small things like that. The tall bars, the 16lbs shaved off the top of the bike, better suspension and the inner fairing feels closer to me which probably a placebo effect but I like that better and makes me more comfortable then the older fairing that felt further away. It's weird but just the way I feel. It's why I used to like the older Street Glide better then the older RG. All those little things combined probably make one big difference to me. If that makes sense. Which is huge for me. Especially with my back issues.

I think its possible the new RG with a rider back rest would be the ticket for me to go on longer rides then I currently do. My Crossbones with the wide sprung tractor seat is really comfortable for local rides. It really soaks up the imperfections in the road but probably not ideal for longer highway riding like the RG would.

yea the new road glide wirh a back rest is great for long distance. Can lean back and the bar position is great. Something about the bars on the street glide I just don’t feel like I could maneuver the bike to the left or right fast enough in an emergency, the pivot point on the bars is wrong. I ended up trading in my 24 street for the 24 road for this reason. Cost me 3500 which hurt but I feel I have the right bike now for my height.

Zakk13 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 09:06 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spider3223
yea the new road glide wirh a back rest is great for long distance. Can lean back and the bar position is great. Something about the bars on the street glide I just don’t feel like I could maneuver the bike to the left or right fast enough in an emergency, the pivot point on the bars is wrong. I ended up trading in my 24 street for the 24 road for this reason. Cost me 3500 which hurt but I feel I have the right bike now for my height.
Yeah, I don't like the bars on the Street Glide either. Didn't like the stock bars on my 18 RKS as well. The 24 RG stock bars are perfect. Would hate to changed them. My only reason I might eventually change them would be for looks. I like a more square bar style on the RG. I doubt I would do t bars like everyone and their brother. Nothing against it and I do like it but the height I would want would probably block the infotainment screen.

Quick Reply: Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?