Notices
2024+ Touring Models Discuss the currently offered Touring Models

Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 09:20 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
I will preface my comments with the fact that I have had a Rushmore Road Glide since they came out (actually both a Twin Cam and M8), and I now have a 24. I also have a 22 Lowrider ST I bought the day they were announced. I have travelled extensively on all the mentioned bikes.

I don't notice any difference at all in the weight, the 24 is still heavy. You would probably shave the same amount of weight by going to a lithium battery in the old Road Glide. I did do that, and couldn't feel any difference there either. I think it's a placebo effect from them telling everyone it's soooo much lighter; again, I feel no difference in the real world.

The Low Rider ST is a great bike for what it is. What it is not, is a long distance touring bike. It's much more nimble that the FL, and feels that way. When I got the ST, I was hoping it was going to be the ultimate solo touring bike for the trips without a passenger. After one cross country vacation, I knew it was not going to ever be as good at that as a real touring class bike.

The Road Glide is more comfortable, and can haul much more gear. For a guy that rides 2 up, it's not even a debate; I don't even have rear pegs on my ST.

Is the new Road Glide some super bike, gap bridger, do it all now? No. It's just a better version of what it was before. I really can't notice any difference in low speed handling, high speed freeway riding, or anything else for that matter. Not trying to deter anyone from buying one, I do think it's a nice upgrade. I did feel the late M8 Road Glide was a nicely refined, better version of the 2015 version and a great machine though. I prefer the new screen, the bar setup, the hand controls, and can tell the wind protection is definitely better than the old version. My only complaints are minor. The navigation sucks because you can't zoom out or control it from the handlebars and there is no elevation display within the system at all. That's about the only things I don't like. (could be fixed with a software update if they wanted)

If a person can't handle a touring bike due to size or strength, then the FXLRST is probably the smart choice. But if I could only have 1 bike, I would pick the road glide.
Thanks for this review. It helps. Question though didn't you not notice any difference in the new upgraded suspension in the new RG versus the old? I heard it's much better? I would think that would make a difference in handling especially hitting bumps on the highway and some difference in maneuvering?

Old 06-22-2024, 09:38 AM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

I have owned a few road glides and a few FXRs. My 2024 CVO road glide is the best handling Harley Davidson I have owned in my 45+ years of riding.

are used to enjoy, scraping the floor boards on my previous road glides. I find it Much harder to scrape the floorboards on my new bike, even with 1 inch spacers.

The following users liked this post:
Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 09:40 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

I will preface my comments with the fact that I have had a Rushmore Road Glide since they came out (actually both a Twin Cam and M8), and I now have a 24. I also have a 22 Lowrider ST I bought the day they were announced. I have travelled extensively on all the mentioned bikes.

I don't notice any difference at all in the weight, the 24 is still heavy. You would probably shave the same amount of weight by going to a lithium battery in the old Road Glide. I did do that, and couldn't feel any difference there either. I think it's a placebo effect from them telling everyone it's soooo much lighter; again, I feel no difference in the real world.

The Low Rider ST is a great bike for what it is. What it is not, is a long distance touring bike. It's much more nimble that the FL, and feels that way. When I got the ST, I was hoping it was going to be the ultimate solo touring bike for the trips without a passenger. After one cross country vacation, I knew it was not going to ever be as good at that as a real touring class bike.

The Road Glide is more comfortable, and can haul much more gear. For a guy that rides 2 up, it's not even a debate; I don't even have rear pegs on my ST.

Is the new Road Glide some super bike, gap bridger, do it all now? No. It's just a better version of what it was before. I really can't notice any difference in low speed handling, high speed freeway riding, or anything else for that matter. Not trying to deter anyone from buying one, I do think it's a nice upgrade. I did feel the late M8 Road Glide was a nicely refined, better version of the 2015 version and a great machine though. I prefer the new screen, the bar setup, the hand controls, and can tell the wind protection is definitely better than the old version. My only complaints are minor. The navigation sucks because you can't zoom out or control it from the handlebars and there is no elevation display within the system at all. That's about the only things I don't like. (could be fixed with a software update if they wanted)

If a person can't handle a touring bike due to size or strength, then the FXLRST is probably the smart choice. But if I could only have 1 bike, I would pick the road glide.
I always had that feeling that the LRST wouldn't be a good touring bike just for the simple fact that is is just a Lowrider S with a fairing and bags. I figured if I did go that route I would have to put more money into forward controls with foot boards and a better seat. My Crossbones feels way more comfortable then the stock LRST. With that said I have a bad back and wouldn't want to ride any softal without wind protection for a longer ride on highway type roads. And I also dont want to ugly up my Crossbones with a windshield and bags just to slightly improve it. Which is why I'm day dreaming of the new Road Glide and considering it. I feel like the new and improved platform with the better suspension, seating, and the new fairing would make a good and really comfortable bike for my back issues and can maybe extend my riding miles past the smaller back road rides that I currently take. Or maybe it's just a pipe dream. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Old 06-22-2024, 09:42 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by thealien
I have owned a few road glides and a few FXRs. My 2024 CVO road glide is the best handling Harley Davidson I have owned in my 45+ years of riding.

are used to enjoy, scraping the floor boards on my previous road glides. I find it Much harder to scrape the floorboards on my new bike, even with 1 inch spacers.
That says alot. 👍

thealien (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 09:48 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Thanks for this review. It helps. Question though didn't you not notice any difference in the new upgraded suspension in the new RG versus the old? I heard it's much better? I would think that would make a difference in handling especially hitting bumps on the highway and some difference in maneuvering?
I have to admit, I've never ridden a regular 24 Road Glide to test the suspension. I have a CVO. The suspension on the twin cam sucked, so that had Legends front and back. The 2020 front suspension was better, so that just had Legends REVO Arc's in the back. On this 24 CVO, I replaced the back with Wilbers with just a few hundred miles, and then shortly after, put Wilbers springs in the inverted front. So I would say for ME, the stock suspension was not up to snuff, even on the CVO.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrlexus:
rauchman (06-27-2024), Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 09:52 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I always had that feeling that the LRST wouldn't be a good touring bike just for the simple fact that is is just a Lowrider S with a fairing and bags. I figured if I did go that route I would have to put more money into forward controls with foot boards and a better seat. My Crossbones feels way more comfortable then the stock LRST. With that said I have a bad back and wouldn't want to ride any softal without wind protection for a longer ride on highway type roads. And I also dont want to ugly up my Crossbones with a windshield and bags just to slightly improve it. Which is why I'm day dreaming of the new Road Glide and considering it. I feel like the new and improved platform with the better suspension, seating, and the new fairing would make a good and really comfortable bike for my back issues and can maybe extend my riding miles past the smaller back road rides that I currently take. Or maybe it's just a pipe dream. That's what I'm trying to find out.
I'd go test ride one if I was you.

Zakk13 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 10:18 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

I'd go test ride one if I was you.
That's the plan just wanted to hear some semi longterm owner reviews as well. Sometimes test rides don't provide the whole picture. I test road my 18 RKS and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Then after living with it for a year not so much.

Old 06-22-2024, 10:25 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

I have to admit, I've never ridden a regular 24 Road Glide to test the suspension. I have a CVO. The suspension on the twin cam sucked, so that had Legends front and back. The 2020 front suspension was better, so that just had Legends REVO Arc's in the back. On this 24 CVO, I replaced the back with Wilbers with just a few hundred miles, and then shortly after, put Wilbers springs in the inverted front. So I would say for ME, the stock suspension was not up to snuff, even on the CVO.
I heard the new stock suspension on the standard 24s that just came out are pretty equal to a 23 that had full front and back Legend suspension upgrade. That came from a dude that wrenches at Thrashin Supply and rides these bikes consistently.

Old 06-22-2024, 11:52 AM
Spider3223
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

The reason the new road glide handles better and feels more nimble is mostly because of the taller bars. You have a better point of pivot to swing the bike around. The new street glide in my opinion doesn’t handle much better than the prev gen street glide because the bars are in the same position. Sure the lighter weight helps some but I think it’s mostly the bars. The new bikes are both very smooth. I am actually working with a sales rep trading in my new (now used) street glide for a used 24 road glide, costing me a couple grand to do it which sucks but the handeling on the road glide is much better.

Last edited by Spider3223; 06-22-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:16 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spider3223
The reason the new road glide handles better and feels more nimble is mostly because of the taller bars. You have a better point of pivot to swing the bike around. The new street glide in my opinion doesn’t handle much better than the prev gen street glide because the bars are in the same position. Sure the lighter weight helps some but I think it’s mostly the bars. The new bikes are both very smooth. I am actually working with a sales rep trading in my new (now used) street glide for a used 24 road glide, costing me a couple grand to do it which sucks but the handeling on the road glide is much better.
Bars definitely make some difference. But there's definitely a little bit more to it then that on the 24s. I can feel the difference bringing the bike up from the kickstand from the older model. And when sitting on it it's much more stable. It didn't want to flop sideways even when purposely trying to move ot that way with my thighs. Even my 18 RoadKing wasn't that stable without a fairing. Which is why I sold it.

Quick Reply: Did the 2024 Road Glide bridge the gap in handling from the LRST?