2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Ive designed a prototype catch can that retains Vacuum assist, check it out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2024 | 10:50 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

What specific problem are you trying to remedy?

Old 10-25-2024 | 10:53 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by DSM11
Interesting. Regarding the trask setup, as much as I respect them as innovators and makers of great forced induction kits, I dont care for the transmission cover vent, since with the OE setup, the gunk has somewhere to go, even if its in your intake tract and burning in your combustion chambers. Venting to atmosphere with no vacuum aslo gets some of it out at least, at the cost of minimal crank case vacuum and a mess. But the vent to the trans cover, IF youve plugged your oe ports that allow the gunk to be slightly vacuumed into the intake, will keep the stuff in your oil, as it is just going to come out of the umbrellas, make its way to the top cover, and go right back into the oil supply, and therefore, only build up in your oil and dilute the oil with water and fuel.
The Trask CheckM8 has a reed valve, it seals when the engine creates vacuum. It opens when it's overpressured.
It does exactly what you need it too.

And It keeps my air intake fairly clean.

Old Yesterday | 04:37 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
This is pretty much the same kind of device that Ron's Workshop came up with.
I'm staying with the trask check M8 since it has a reed valve.
It's the same one ...and there are different ones, from rubbish to decent 2 or 3 port. Ron there already did a stack of very thorough and methodical testing and wasn't sure about vacuum or not. His series on this stuff is worth a watch.

Old Yesterday | 08:01 AM
DSM11
|
Advanced

With regard to the transmission top cover vent setup......
Where do you think the gunk is going, other than right back into your engine oil with that setup?

Last edited by DSM11; Yesterday at 08:02 AM.
Old Yesterday | 08:09 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Where do you think the gunk is going, other than right back into your engine oil with that setup?
Out the tube into the attached filer, as it does on my bike. I'll be shortening and re-routing the loop to make it work better.
The small amount that decondenses on the reed or other parts inside the chamber isn't of any consequence.
It's still not being re-ingested and burned.

Old Yesterday | 08:16 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Did you try the Trask cover and find that it didn't work as advertised?

Old Yesterday | 08:55 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

Hummm... It's interesting, I just don't know how important it is to tie anything to intake. I get you are just using for a lower relative pressure, but that is all cycle dependent. If other stuff isn't right and anyone has reversion it's different. We know there is blow by from rings to some degree, things heat and cool... A vent is a vent. It vents. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Last edited by Powermankw; Yesterday at 09:04 AM.
Old Yesterday | 01:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

And yet people like the long distance riders put 100s of thousands of miles in purely stock Harleys.

The following 3 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
Gordon61 (Yesterday), Ohio HD (Yesterday), Uncle G. (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:02 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
And yet people like the long distance riders put 100s of thousands of miles in purely stock Harleys.
every car on the road since 1960 has had positive crankcase ventilation and cars aren’t failing from excessive carbon build-up.

Old Yesterday | 10:54 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
every car on the road since 1960 has had positive crankcase ventilation and cars aren’t failing from excessive carbon build-up.
And nobody made the case engines are "failing". Just because it's done, does't mean it's good and causing no problems. Before 1960s...they just vented, and we all managed to live through it.

Quick Reply: Ive designed a prototype catch can that retains Vacuum assist, check it out!!!