2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Air intake for stage 1

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
evildiesel
Advanced
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
I have a heavy breather. Not screaming Eagle. Not sure what it is. It is not labeled and was on the bike when I purchased it used. Recently I had a long interesting discussion with a friend who is quite knowledgeable about bikes. Personally I just ride. It started with me discussing a new cam and trying to get a good sound out of my 2019 Heritage M8 114 and the annoying whistle it has. According to him, they look cool but heavy breathers do nothing for performance and not worth the money.

He has an Arlen Ness and looks awesome. With his cam and pipes, it sounds great!
it will always have the whistle. It’s the counter balancers inside the engine. I have a 22xe cam and a 2-1 short exhaust and I still hear the whistle lol

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. Harley claims the heavy breather I posted above pushes15% more air, but that might be marketing hype. I think it's really cool looking, but it's also quite expensive. There's a couple used Fat Boys at a nearby dealership with these installed, I'm going to throw a leg over and see if it's an issue for my knee. But even then, not sure this is the best use of funds.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
evildiesel
Advanced
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Thanks for the comments guys. Harley claims the heavy breather I posted above pushes15% more air, but that might be marketing hype. I think it's really cool looking, but it's also quite expensive. There's a couple used Fat Boys at a nearby dealership with these installed, I'm going to throw a leg over and see if it's an issue for my knee. But even then, not sure this is the best use of funds.
keep an eye out on your local classifieds. Guys are taking these off and selling them for a 1/4 of the price all the time around me

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 552 Likes on 350 Posts

All bikes sit differently so be sure you are "comparing apples to apples" Sorry I always state the obvious.

As for the knee thing, I am going to say it is definitely not an issue with mine but I have short legs. It appears like it would and people ask me about that all the time. So I guessing it is a problem with those with long legs pushing your knees upward.
Originally Posted by evildiesel
it will always have the whistle. It’s the counter balancers inside the engine. I have a 22xe cam and a 2-1 short exhaust and I still hear the whistle lol
Damnit Jim! Not what I wanted to hear. Now, my wife's 21 Heritage 114 does not have that whistle. It does have a distinct sound but is mostly downed out by her nice V&H pipes. I will still do the stage II and see how it goes. Note: The whistle on mine decreases in volume when I pull the clutch. Not sure if that means anything or not

Last edited by bduds65; Yesterday at 11:44 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Firedude2
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Let me know if you like it and I will make you a very good deal on my take off with less than 2000 miles on it. Came off my 2023 Low rider s.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Got mine when I bought the bike. In black. Love it, easy to clean too.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Fuel moto’s BMF.

Last edited by Durham man; Yesterday at 05:50 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
Ivan45acp
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Ventilator Extreme. High flow, good looks, AND leg room!