2018+ Softail Models Breakout

No ABS on 2022 FXLRS

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 04:02 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I managed to acquire the EHCU (controller), wiring harness, all the brake lines (front lower has manifold), and the wheel speed sensor for the rear wheel. I need the front wheel speed sensor, and I’m sure many miscellaneous small parts, but it looks like I might get this done for around $600. I’m not sure what it’s going to take to make it work. I’ll feel better having the ABS on the bike. I just never imagined that a 2022 wouldn’t have it.
Having tried to replace a fogged up speedo with second hand ...You might want to check that the EHCU isn't married to the previous bike. It might need the dealer to enable it ...and do the bleed to get the air out.

Old 09-16-2024, 06:34 AM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts

To make matters worse, I believe it was standard in the beginning of the year 2022 and then became an option. I bought a 2022 but I searched around for one with ABS. I also thought it was ridiculous in this day and age that a bike doesn’t have ABS. Shame on Harley. I was also told by the dealer at the time that low riders didn’t need it ABS and ABS is only for the touring bikes. This is such a lie. I really shows you the integrity of the motor company.

However, I believe the issue was a Covid supply chain issue and they couldn’t get the parts for the ABS. They should’ve just told people that instead of lying to them.

Last edited by GrenV; 09-16-2024 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:04 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Having tried to replace a fogged up speedo with second hand ...You might want to check that the EHCU isn't married to the previous bike. It might need the dealer to enable it ...and do the bleed to get the air out.
I don't know if that is the way it works or not, but I wouldn't think that it is. It may be that I will have to have a dealer enable it. I have a Daytona TwinTec 4 that DTT told me will work for bleeding brakes on a late model Softail, but I am not sure if there is something else that is needed to make the system work. I am also putting cruise control on this bike and that has to be enabled by the dealer, so I am going to be there anyway hooked up to their machine.

It would have been much easier if I would've been able to purchase the '23 LRST that a dealer advertised for a great price and then jacked the price up $2000 with fees. What really gets me about that is, they ended up selling it for the advertised price anyway. It had the ABS and the CC. If I hadn't already changed out the compensator ramp, clutch, and gotten rid of that awful mid shift, I might have considered trading the '22 LRS for an ST. Well this is where I'm at and all I can do now is move forward. At least when I'm done it will be a bike of my making.

The following users liked this post:
Gordon61 (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 07:23 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I would MUCH Prefer my 2023 Street Glide Did not have ABS, The idea I must have a dealer flush every 2 years is NOT something I want to do! I know I have options but its beyond what I am comfortable doing and I do not want to be tied to my dealer every 2 years!
I know the value of ABS but I have had ABS in every car I have owned starting in 1995, I have only had my ABS activate one time and that was in 1995 when I hit rocks at high speed. I would prefer to take my chances and know I did not need a flush every 2 years!
Originally Posted by GrenV
To make matters worse, I believe it was standard in the beginning of the year 2022 and then became an option. I bought a 2022 but I searched around for one with ABS. I also thought it was ridiculous in this day and age that a bike doesn’t have ABS. Shame on Harley. I was also told by the dealer at the time that low riders didn’t need it ABS and ABS is only for the touring bikes. This is such a lie. I really shows you the integrity of the motor company.

However, I believe the issue was a Covid supply chain issue and they couldn’t get the parts for the ABS. They should’ve just told people that instead of lying to them.
Back in the late '70's and early '80's, I was driving over the road trucks. The government mandated that they had to have ABS. It didn't work very well and the government eventually backed off for a while. It appears it was again mandated in 1999. It is now required on passenger cars as well. I have a difficult time believing that it is not a requirement on motorcycles. I realize there are riders that may be able to brake hard in a panic situation without it, but when you are in a panic situation it is just a reaction to hit the brakes hard and without ABS that usually means that at least the rear tire will break traction and there will be a loss of control. Most of the time this means the bike will go down. As I am now seventy, I really want to avoid this for the rest of the time I am able to ride.

Old 09-16-2024, 11:43 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

i wound up buying a 21 Sport Glide with 1,500 miles for a very attractive price and put a new take-off Low Rider S monoshock on it.. It came standard with ABS and cruise control. Now since the Low Rider S is advertised as a performance bike, how the hell does it not have the same stuff the lowly 107 Sport Glide has?

Old 09-16-2024, 12:12 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,789 Likes on 1,191 Posts

@$tonecold I have a '22 FXLRS with ABS. Let me know if can help with any pics that might help you with the mod.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (09-16-2024)
Old 09-16-2024, 01:10 PM
dodger413
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

my 2011 has ABS,,,,,,,,,,,probably an S model option. yep sure is handy to have.

my 2013 Streetglide didn't come with ABS

my 2024 Breakout did come with ABS standard, and cruise control and "traction control" standard.

Old 09-17-2024, 03:46 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by truckerdave
i wound up buying a 21 Sport Glide with 1,500 miles for a very attractive price and put a new take-off Low Rider S monoshock on it.. It came standard with ABS and cruise control. Now since the Low Rider S is advertised as a performance bike, how the hell does it not have the same stuff the lowly 107 Sport Glide has?
Yeah, my '21 Sport Glide has ABS and cruise control. My original plan was to put the LRST fairing on the Sport Glide and do a 120 big bore on it. That got derailed. Now I'm putting the fairing that I had already bought back when the LRST's first came out on the LRS I bought. Again, had the dealer not F'd me around on the '23 LRST, I would have just put the fairing up for sale and been way ahead of where I am now, but I'll get there just the same.

Originally Posted by tngarren
@$tonecold I have a '22 FXLRS with ABS. Let me know if can help with any pics that might help you with the mod.
Thanks for the offer. I have the service manual, but as I'm sure you know, sometimes a picture is much better than what they tell you in the manual. Hopefully it is pretty straight forward.

Old 09-17-2024, 07:29 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 215 Likes on 129 Posts

As for the ABS bleed.... I bought the OBStar scanner for around $360. I've bled the brakes twice, I added cruise control and used it to enable it, and also enabled a spare key fob. It doesn't marry to a VIN, can be used for multiple bikes. It's self contained (don't need another device). But, you need to download the programs to it.

I figure I got my money back the first bleed, and didn't have to sit around waiting at a dealership.
https://www.obdstarstore.com/wholesa...er.html?f=bwqp

The following 3 users liked this post by Kenelz:
evildiesel (Yesterday), FranBunnyFFXII (Yesterday), Goose_NC (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Kenelz
As for the ABS bleed.... I bought the OBStar scanner for around $360. I've bled the brakes twice, I added cruise control and used it to enable it, and also enabled a spare key fob. It doesn't marry to a VIN, can be used for multiple bikes. It's self contained (don't need another device). But, you need to download the programs to it.

I figure I got my money back the first bleed, and didn't have to sit around waiting at a dealership.
https://www.obdstarstore.com/wholesa...er.html?f=bwqp
Thanks for the information. Daytona TwinTec has been painfully slow about updating for the latest models, and when I spoke with them last they said that it may require a new unit to do it and it won't be until next year. Plus it is a pain to have to hook up to a computer. I'll check this out. I'm sure if I take it to the dealer for the brakes and to activate the cruise, it will be more than what that unit costs.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
FranBunnyFFXII (Yesterday), Goose_NC (Yesterday), Kenelz (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: No ABS on 2022 FXLRS