2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Going to try THIS to dry the HD after washing it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 02:52 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 340 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Going to try THIS to dry the HD after washing it!

I want to stop having to repeatedly crouch and bend to reach all the parts and crevices that need to be dried after washing the Breakout, so I bought THIS to try it (along with doing other things it is designed to do, like blow leaves, dirt, and snow):

Note the i mpressive 725 CFM and 140 MPH specs on the box!

This is what the actual unit looks like without the removable "extension" on it:

It weighs about 6-1/2 pounds, and is about 19.5" long.

The "clip" under the handle near the safety label, is a "cord hook" to 'trap' the extension cord that you plug into the black pigtail, in order to prevent the cord from pulling the plug out when you drag the cord as you move around. You can hold the unit with one hand or two (but see below remarks on the "recoil"!). It has an off-on **** with variable speed control so you can control the speed and volume of air coming out!

The black extension tube (with its FOUR INCH discharge nozzle) is for reaching near the ground or floor when using the blower to remove dirt, water, leaves, or even light snow from a surface, but it can be really handy to have if you are drying a motorcycle and don't have a lift.

I know that "specs" can be optimistic and deceiving, BUT, I made the mistake of turning the blower on to "top" speed. It RECOILS in your arm, like a rifle or handgun, when you do so!!

I suspect that if you can't dry your motorcycle with this BIG BOY, you've applied way too much water! It makes the HD offering look a little lame. It's also less money than the HD tool, coming in at about $130 CDN = $95 US.

Anyway, I am going to TRY it and see how it goes.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-16-2024 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pgreer (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 02:54 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

should have bought a cordless unit.. thats what majority of us have used for years now

The following 6 users liked this post by 1HD1C:
already in use (07-23-2024), imoo6170 (07-17-2024), Leimy (07-17-2024), NZLowrider (07-16-2024), skm348 (07-20-2024), tmac00333 (07-22-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2024, 02:57 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Been using my backpack blower for years....

Old 07-16-2024, 02:59 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
should have bought a cordless unit.. thats what majority of us have used for years now
I know that the cordless models are popular, but I hate having to monitor battery charges and being concerned about battery session duration and life. I have electrical outlets throughout the garage and the exterior of the home, so need just modest length cords. By the way, this unit pulls TWELVE amps, which makes it a pretty well powered one comapred to a lot of the battery ones.

Jim G

The following 2 users liked this post by JimGnitecki:
Crazy (07-20-2024), Dallasrandy (07-20-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 02:59 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,663 Likes on 2,192 Posts

I would put a filter on the intake side so particles do not get blown into the paint.

The following 3 users liked this post by Goose_NC:
Crazy (07-20-2024), Gimlet (07-17-2024), NorthWestern (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 03:02 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I would put a filter on the intake side so particles do not get blown into the paint.
That's a great idea! I'll have to take a close look at where the inlet is andits size. Maybe a lady's stretch stocking would make a good filter? I guess we get paerticles blown in to the paint under normala motorcycle use on the streets and highways anyway, BUT 140 mph is faster than I generally ride.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-16-2024 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 03:03 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,010 Posts

I have a Milwauke M18 battery power blower and it works great. I don't recall the exact specs, but it has a jackrabbit setting that moves a lot of air comnpared to the regular setting.

When you start blowing water off the motorcycle, be careful with how close the tip is to painted and softer surfaces. And as I've mentioned in other post, I keep a gallon of RO water near by when washing the bike because the water in my area has lots of soluable salts (minerals) that leave really bad water spots that are difficult to remove if they stay on long. I try to always wash early and in the shade, but that only helps so much when it's in the 90's. So I lightly blow off the excess water fron the wash, then rinse the bike with the gallon of RO water and then give it a final blow dry. And will touch any spots that may remain with a microfiber towel after that.

Paul

Old 07-16-2024, 03:05 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by pgreer
I have a Milwauke M18 battery power blower and it works great. I don't recall the exact specs, but it has a jackrabbit setting that moves a lot of air comnpared to the regular setting.

When you start blowing water off the motorcycle, be careful with how close the tip is to painted and softer surfaces. And as I've mentioned in other post, I keep a gallon of RO water near by when washing the bike because the water in my area has lots of soluable salts (minerals) that leave really bad water spots that are difficult to remove if they stay on long. I try to always wash early and in the shade, but that only helps so much when it's in the 90's. So I lightly blow off the excess water fron the wash, then rinse the bike with the gallon of RO water and then give it a final blow dry. And will touch any spots that may remain with a microfiber towel after that.

Paul
Good to know. What is "RO water"?

Jim G

Old 07-16-2024, 03:07 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Another reason I am trying this versus cloths, is I have found that the microfiber cloths need to be replaced after a while, as they stop being as good at picking up the water.

Jim G

Old 07-16-2024, 03:38 PM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Another reason I am trying this versus cloths, is I have found that the microfiber cloths need to be replaced after a while, as they stop being as good at picking up the water.

Jim G
Never rated microfiber cloths for drying, much prefer a decent waffle towel.

Quick Reply: Going to try THIS to dry the HD after washing it!