2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Going to try THIS to dry the HD after washing it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 08:05 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I just go for a short blast up the highway to take most of the water off after washing. Then again I only wash the bike maybe twice a year anymore.
That's what I did for years. Our current dog likes to immediately roll around in the dirt after a bath, so we got something that looks like this. (not this specific model) It was around 50 bucks. Works great for both the dog and the bike.

Old 07-20-2024, 08:26 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,771 Likes on 19,308 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
One of these days I may try borrowing my wife's hair drier just to try it. That thing blasts some air.

Or I may finally buy a battery leaf blower compatible with my Dewalt 20v batteries. Could be kinda useful for other things.
I have a Snap-On heat gun you can try ":>)

Old 07-20-2024, 08:47 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 203 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
should have bought a cordless unit.. thats what majority of us have used for years now
Yeah....Everyone knows the battery versions are "green".

Old 07-20-2024, 10:26 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,713 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
That's what I did for years. Our current dog likes to immediately roll around in the dirt after a bath, so we got something that looks like this. (not this specific model) It was around 50 bucks. Works great for both the dog and the bike.

Modified pet dryers are basically all bike dryers are. That is very similar to my Bruhl. The only possible differences are mine looks to have a longer hose and it maybe runs a bit hotter and blows a bit harder, but for twice the price. A pet dryer for large dog will work just as well.

The following users liked this post:
Crazy (07-20-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 05:40 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 343 Likes on 202 Posts

I’ve been washing my bikes in the garage with a Windex bottle filled with water for 30 years, never seen a hose. For the heavy baked on stuff a simple tractor supply pressure sprayer works without massive amounts of water.

Air compressor to dry.

Old 07-21-2024, 08:19 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueridgeXL
I’ve been washing my bikes in the garage with a Windex bottle filled with water for 30 years, never seen a hose. For the heavy baked on stuff a simple tractor supply pressure sprayer works without massive amounts of water.

Air compressor to dry.
Be careful. A pressure sprayer can get water into places where you do not want it, and an air compressor psi setting set too high can blow water and missed dirt right into places where you do not want it.

In the brief period during which I owned an off-road bike (before I finally noticed the high number of bandages and casts at the club events!), I was warned by multiple riders that a pressure sprayer, although basically necessary to get all the crud off an off-road bike BUT to NEVER point it at any crevice or joint that had lubricant behing it or needed to keep moisture out of whatever was behind it. Also how a carelessly aimed pressure sprayer could get water into unseen places where it caused RUST.

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
BlueridgeXL (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 10:52 AM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Be careful. A pressure sprayer can get water into places where you do not want it, and an air compressor psi setting set too high can blow water and missed dirt right into places where you do not want it.

In the brief period during which I owned an off-road bike (before I finally noticed the high number of bandages and casts at the club events!), I was warned by multiple riders that a pressure sprayer, although basically necessary to get all the crud off an off-road bike BUT to NEVER point it at any crevice or joint that had lubricant behing it or needed to keep moisture out of whatever was behind it. Also how a carelessly aimed pressure sprayer could get water into unseen places where it caused RUST.

Jim G
Pressure sprayers or pressure washers, they're 2 totally different things, I wouldn't be concerned with a pressure sprayer blowing grease out of bearings, but a pressure washer needs a bit of care, but it's not rocket surgery either way, just common sense.

Old 07-21-2024, 10:57 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLongbeard
Pressure sprayers or pressure washers, they're 2 totally different things, I wouldn't be concerned with a pressure sprayer blowing grease out of bearings, but a pressure washer needs a bit of care, but it's not rocket surgery either way, just common sense.
Yeah, I was sloppy in saying "sprayer" versus "washer". Too many spray painting efforts in my history. When I am doing wood projects, I often spray poly coatings.

Jim G

Old 07-22-2024, 05:02 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 343 Likes on 202 Posts

Yep, it takes me some pain but I eventually learn. Took out wheel bearings on my YZ125 as a kid.

It does take time and elbow grease to clean up the bike in the garage with misting water but there’s not enough paint on any of my bikes to justify hosing them down.

And we have massive amounts of insects to splatter on everything. When you ride fast they don’t bounce.