2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Going to try THIS to dry the HD after washing it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 11:05 AM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 178 Likes on 95 Posts

I prefer inexpensive thin 100% cotton or cotton blend ( well washed in detergent and bleach before use) towels over microfiber....

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 12:03 PM
BareKnuckle
Club Member
Received 380 Likes on 182 Posts

Works for me. I dont need a big-*** leaf blower in my condo.
This one is compact, powerful blasting of ‘warm’ air. Has the attachments to get in the all the tight little hiding places water will sit.
Also great for cleaning parking spots & balconies.
More $ than some leaf blowers, but worth it for where & what I use it for.

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 12:06 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,185 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I would put a filter on the intake side so particles do not get blown into the paint.
That is exactly what I was thinking. 12 amp motor might launch a particle fast enough to disappoint!

Old 07-17-2024, 01:22 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 247 Posts

Guys, I am for some reason unable to actually load photos today - the upload process starts normally but then simply stalls. But if you can look at my Toro blower photos above, you might see that the blower has inlets, near the plug wire, on 3 sides plus the back end. So, any filter material would need to be stretched, and be able to STAY in position, over the entire back end of the unit, including the handle.

What material could work in this kind of situation? I was thinking maybe a stretchable lady's nylon stocking. Or ??

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-17-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 01:29 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,675 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Guys, I am for some reason unable to actually load photos today - the upload process starts normally but then simply stalls. But if you can look at my Toro blower photos above, you might see that the blower has inlets, near the plug wire, on 3 sides plus the back end. So, any filter material would need to be stretched, and be able to STAY in position, over the entire back end of the unit, including the handle.

What material could work in this kind of situation? I was thinking maybe a stretchable lady's nylon stocking. Or ??

Jim G
A lady's nylon stocking will work. You can actually double them up. Just watch the heat on the motor and listen to the sound. If it's sounds like it's struggling remove a layer.

Old 07-17-2024, 01:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
A lady's nylon stocking will work. You can actually double them up. Just watch the heat on the motor and listen to the sound. If it's sounds like it's struggling remove a layer.
Thanks! Sounds great! I'll try it.

Jim G

Old 07-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,713 Likes on 887 Posts

I use ladies stocking to form a sock over the intake ducts on my KTM. The filter in the airbox can completely block up with flies otherwise. I'd found stones and grit in there as well. But you need the very finest mesh (sheer whatever it's called) or they don't stop much. And they need to be good quality too or they can fray and tear.
I've just got them held on with cable ties but airbox intakes aren't under a lot of pressure. They'd want to be pretty well secured on a leaf blower.

The filter on my Bruhl dryer is a sort of course mat resembling Scotchbrite.

I'm sure you could adapt filters for other devices (vacuum cleaners etc) made of this material. It would be more stiffer and more stable than nylons.

Last edited by Gimlet; 07-17-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 01:52 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member

Received 6,096 Likes on 2,184 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I want to stop having to repeatedly crouch and bend to reach all the parts and crevices that need to be dried after washing the Breakout, so I bought THIS to try it (along with doing other things it is designed to do, like blow leaves, dirt, and snow):

Note the i mpressive 725 CFM and 140 MPH specs on the box!

This is what the actual unit looks like without the removable "extension" on it:

It weighs about 6-1/2 pounds, and is about 19.5" long.

The "clip" under the handle near the safety label, is a "cord hook" to 'trap' the extension cord that you plug into the black pigtail, in order to prevent the cord from pulling the plug out when you drag the cord as you move around. You can hold the unit with one hand or two (but see below remarks on the "recoil"!). It has an off-on **** with variable speed control so you can control the speed and volume of air coming out!

The black extension tube (with its FOUR INCH discharge nozzle) is for reaching near the ground or floor when using the blower to remove dirt, water, leaves, or even light snow from a surface, but it can be really handy to have if you are drying a motorcycle and don't have a lift.

I know that "specs" can be optimistic and deceiving, BUT, I made the mistake of turning the blower on to "top" speed. It RECOILS in your arm, like a rifle or handgun, when you do so!!

I suspect that if you can't dry your motorcycle with this BIG BOY, you've applied way too much water! It makes the HD offering look a little lame. It's also less money than the HD tool, coming in at about $130 CDN = $95 US.

Anyway, I am going to TRY it and see how it goes.

Jim G
I have that same blower and I feel like it doesn't really work as well as I would expect.
Mind you, I wanted to get the heated blower, but my wife's friend recommended this version so that's what she bought me for Christmas.

I don't use water to wash the bike that often, and the blower works great for clearing out the garage floor and driveway, so it's a win-win for me.

Old 07-17-2024, 02:42 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,064 Posts

One of these days I may try borrowing my wife's hair drier just to try it. That thing blasts some air.

Or I may finally buy a battery leaf blower compatible with my Dewalt 20v batteries. Could be kinda useful for other things.

Old 07-19-2024, 02:44 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,768 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Two tools in one. My Wet/Dry Shop Vac has a detachable handheld blower. I use the vac way more than the blower. I think I paid about $100-$120 for it from Menards 12 years ago. Works great for drying the bike. It came with a 20.5"L X 2"ID extension tube (not shown). For drying the bike I use the concentrator nozzle alone (shown). The outlet on the concentrator nozzle is roughly 1" diameter for getting into tight spaces.

And yes, it has durable washable foam intake filter that can be serviced by removing 3 screws. I always make sure I wash and dry the filter prior to drying the bike.

Quick Reply: Going to try THIS to dry the HD after washing it!