Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 04:00 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,148 Likes on 3,347 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
This YouTube video for the J&S Jack is certainly impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fim0yZYgdds

Anyone have any experience with the actual product?

Jim G
Yep, I am one of the very happy owners.

If you can get one, snag it.

The following 3 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
Goose_NC (07-11-2024), hattitude (07-15-2024), LoneRiderFLH (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 04:06 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
. . .
PS. You will likely not have the jack completely slide under your bike when it’s on the side stand. You’ll slide it under the frame rail on the high side, then need to rock it upright to slide it under the rest of the way. You can do this alone, as I do. But it’s easier with two people, one handling the bike, one handling the jack.
I may be lucky. I just measured the actual distance from the floor to the bottom of the left (sidestand side) frame rail. It is 3.75" when the bike is at rest on the sidestand. This specifc OTC jack I am considering is 3.5" high, so I should not have to lift the bike via a wood plate under the sidestand or having my wife help me.

Whatever I buy, I don't want to have to try to modify it significantly, because that would give the manufacturer a ready excuse if the jack or lift fails at any point. Of course, if the jack or lift fails, the loss is tiny compared to the damage that would likely result to the Harley.

Foxtrapper, given the choice of this OTC jack or the Big Blue lift, which do you favour over the other, despite both having shortcomings, if I do not want to modify the chosen tool in any significant way?

Jim G

Old 07-10-2024, 04:11 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Yep, I am one of the very happy owners.

If you can get one, snag it.
Important question on the J&S jack: How LOW can the bottom of the motorcycles' frame rails be and still be able to get the J&S under it without having to lift the bike off the sidestand?

Jim G

Old 07-10-2024, 04:41 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Ok, another interesting wrinkle on the OTC jack: DELIVERED PRICE

On Amazon Canada, the delivered price is $581 CDN, delivered in 5 days

On Amazon.com, it is $309 plus $208 shipping, duties, and import charges to Canada, so $517 US = $708 CDN !! delivered in 7 days

On Summit Racing in the U.S., it is $309 plus $40 shipping, duties, and import charges to Canada, so $349 US = $478 CDN delivered in 2 to 12 days

Hmmm . . .

Jim G

It also appears that OTC is somehow affiliated with Bosch. This is a screenshot from the OTC website for this jack:

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-10-2024 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 05:27 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 2,898 Posts

Abba Skylift

Old 07-10-2024, 05:55 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Abba Skylift
Very impressive and clever:
https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ky-lift&pid=44

BUT, it will not work with a Harley, as it requires unblocked ACCESS to a HOLLOW swingarm pivot.

Jim G

Old 07-10-2024, 06:00 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,148 Likes on 3,347 Posts

Important question on the J&S jack: How LOW can the bottom of the motorcycles' frame rails be and still be able to get the J&S under it without having to lift the bike off the sidestand?

Jim G
As low or lower than any of them. It was the gold standard for all others to measure up to when they were still being manufactured.

I say this as I do not have the spec handy, but the first bike I used it on was my 2016 Lower Rider S, which is lower than your Softail.

I or someone else will come up with that low height

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (07-15-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:03 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Foxtrapper, given the choice of this OTC jack or the Big Blue lift, which do you favour over the other, despite both having shortcomings, if I do not want to modify the chosen tool in any significant way?
I think I’d go with the Big Blue if I were to chose between the two.

1. I think it will be significantly more stable.
2. Its a heck of a lot more sane on lowering.

also

3. You could use chains or such to suspend from, or just trust the acme screw. No modifications to the lift.
4. The post is only in the way should you switch sides while working on the bike. At that, it’s not that close. You could work around it.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 07:36 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Foxtrapper:

1. What do you mean when you say "You could use chains or such to suspend from"??

2. The 2 beams on the Big Blue that support the bike are actually only supported in their CENTER and are cantilevered off the central lift beam, secured by bolts. The OTC bike support beams are EACH supported at both ends, which should make them less likely to try to bend over (the weight of the bike on them creates a simple "shear" stress versus a leveraged moment). Did you take that into account in prefering the Big blue over the OTC?

3. The Big Blue costs $1339 CDN delivered from the Canadian sole-source distributor. The OTC costs $478 CDN delivered from Summit. Do you regard the Big Blue as being worth almost 3 times the cost of the OTC? I'm asking, because I can fund either one, but 3x cost means a lot on a retirement budget. If it is really THAT much better ok, but if it is an improvement but not a huge one, the 3x cost becomes hard to rationalize.

p.s. It is possible that the too-quick drop on the OTC is a result of not purging the air in the hydraulic cylinder before first use. That could explain the quick or jerky lowering when the lever is moved full stroke or pulsed to lower the jack. Notice that a lot of the reviewers did not get either the quick or jerky lowering, so failure to purge air COULD be the cause.

Thinking . . .

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-10-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:55 PM
2010_FLHR
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can vouch for this lift

1450 Lbs weight capacity.

This lift picks up a touring bike much better than the Softail.

Quick Reply: Which motorcycle lift?