2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Which motorcycle lift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 11:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Let me revise my observations on the TMG unit then. For while I can't load their web page for long, I did get to glance at some better images of it, and did download their manual.

1. Arms #3 are thicker than I thought, so while I don't care for their design, they are likely more stable than I expected.
2. Lift arms #6 are far worse than I realized. Especially if they are flanged only on the one side. I would expect those to start sagging very quickly, if not completely collapsing under the weight of a heavy bike. Damn but that's a bad design as shown in the parts drawing.
3. Those bike lifting arms #6 don't appear to have any positive lock or mount on the cross shaft #4 they mount on.
4. The lift post #20 is basically held on by 3-bolts, unequally. A lot of the load and failure will depend on how the flange yields under load.

Fundamentally, I like this lift even less now, based on this parts drawing.

Old 07-10-2024, 11:51 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Let me revise my observations on the TMG unit then. For while I can't load their web page for long, I did get to glance at some better images of it, and did download their manual.

1. Arms #3 are thicker than I thought, so while I don't care for their design, they are likely more stable than I expected. I think I agree that they are "deep" enough in the CROSS-axis relative to the bike's fore-aft axis to make a decent beam, especially saince the 2 arms bolted together makea beam that is also WIDE. BUT, if the bike is significantly unbalanced (e.g. like when a wheel is removed OR complete fork is removed, I can see them being marginal to resist the bending moment than palced upon them.
2. Lift arms #6 are far worse than I realized. Especially if they are flanged only on the one side. I would expect those to start sagging very quickly, if not completely collapsing under the weight of a heavy bike. Damn but that's a bad design as shown in the parts drawing. I agree that the #6 lift "beams" are weaker than they should be, especially with the hole through them that "mounts' them onto the single lift beam.
3. Those bike lifting arms #6 don't appear to have any positive lock or mount on the cross shaft #4 they mount on. Agree! and if the bike becomes unbalanced, it would be possible for it to slide the bike right off the lift, to either the front or rear. And, there is no easy way to "pin" them with a removable pin, as a set of holes to accommodate the pins in the 2 beams would weaken either or both the beams and the single lift beam.
4. The lift post #20 is basically held on by 3-bolts, unequally. A lot of the load and failure will depend on how the flange yields under load. Yes, I see that now. Again, an unbalanced weight distribution would complicate this further.

The Big Blue really has a reliability claim advantage here, since Big Blue claims ZERO failures in over 4000 in use, while I cannot find any longterm reviews at all for the TMG, and no website claim of no failures either, which you think tTMG would make if they could.

Jim G

Fundamentally, I like this lift even less now, based on this parts drawing.
See red font text above

Jim G

Old 07-10-2024, 12:10 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

This YouTube video for the J&S Jack is certainly impressive:

Anyone have any experience with the actual product?

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 12:36 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
This YouTube video for the J&S Jack is certainly impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fim0yZYgdds

Anyone have any experience with the actual product?

Jim G

I own one. I replace my Bike Master motorcycle jack with a used J&S jack. The Bike Master version I could not remove both wheels at the same time. Had to be careful when loosening tight fasteners. Cannot drain tranny or engine oils while on the lift.

The J&S jack is wider, and more stable than my Bike Master was. I can remove front and rear wheels at the same time with out issue. I can also drain the three fluids while on the jack.

I've attached a photo to compare the two jacks. The narrower Bike Master jack rails fit inside the J&S jack. The J&S is black and the Bike Master is red.

J&S jacks are no longer made. But you may find one used. I was looking for a few months before one popped up locally.

Attached Thumbnails Which motorcycle lift?-jack-compare2.jpg  
Old 07-10-2024, 01:15 PM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

It's a damn shame Abba don't make a Skylift for Harley's

Old 07-10-2024, 01:23 PM
Chris_G
Club Member
Received 176 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
By the way, NO Harbour Freight stores here in Canada. Closest thing we have to HF is a chain called "Princess Auto" (No, not a sissy name. It was named after the street it was on at the original sole store in Winnipeg, Manitoba). They sell the same kind of stuff, but don't have the Big Blue or TMG style of single post lifts, only table lifts and small jacks.

Jim G
No Harbor Freight? That's criminal!

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 01:30 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

I found this OTC jack on Amazon Canada:

Amazon Amazon

The rview sound great overall (just minor non-structural issues with some). The price is about double what other similar ones at Amazon sell for, but the reviews note some quality features, like 17" wide beams to hold the bike's frame rails.

The price of $581 is in CANADIAN dollars, which is about $424 US.

Apprently, the J&S is no longer available, so this might be the closest available quality (despite the issues noted by some reviewers).

I thought maybe Pitbull makes one of these in Wisconsin, but I checked. They do not, at least not currently.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-10-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:37 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

That type of lift is fairly generically typical. Check other sources for cheap automotive stuff, like Princess Auto? or such. You might find it cheaper.

That specific one you found on Amazon seems to have very small and maybe rounded catches on the main rail for the lock dogs to catch. That would concern me. Otherwise, it looks absolutely typical of them all.
They are typically wiggly going up, but stabilize once they are set down on the locking dogs. They still aren't wonderfully stable. But, I've been on my old Road King, running, perched up at maximum height on my Harbor Freight version.

Lowering them is a little weird. They are almost all this way:
MASH the foot pedal! For it only goes down slowly with the pedal all the way down.
If you try to release it gently, it will drop like a rock, as that is full open.

Old 07-10-2024, 02:50 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
That type of lift is fairly generically typical. Check other sources for cheap automotive stuff, like Princess Auto? or such. You might find it cheaper.

That specific one you found on Amazon seems to have very small and maybe rounded catches on the main rail for the lock dogs to catch. That would concern me. Otherwise, it looks absolutely typical of them all.
They are typically wiggly going up, but stabilize once they are set down on the locking dogs. They still aren't wonderfully stable. But, I've been on my old Road King, running, perched up at maximum height on my Harbor Freight version.

Lowering them is a little weird. They are almost all this way:
MASH the foot pedal! For it only goes down slowly with the pedal all the way down.
If you try to release it gently, it will drop like a rock, as that is full open.
That specific one I referenced on Amazon has some features that far surpass most of the others that LOOK similar;
- Weighs over 90 lb vs 50 to 60 lb for others
- The "beams" for holding the bike are 17" long vs 12 to 14" for others
- Can get under a bike that has only 3.5" ground clearance (my Breakout is 4.5" from the factory, which will NOT fit under the others)
- Lifts to 16.75" vs others as low as 14"
- 2 year warranty
- Handle is removable, so does not get in the way of working on the engine from the side

The locking system does seem to be a weakness. I would modify it if I bought this one until I was satisfied with its security. One of the reviewers did that with some grinding and a metal punch to do some reshaping.

The details are evidently very important here, and you have to read very closely to catch them in some of the ads.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-10-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:36 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Yes Jim, there are small differences between these Chinese lifts. But fundamentally, they are all the same. Perhaps all from the same factory, or perhaps from the same region, where they copy each other’s design with small differences.

Be skeptical of dimensional claims, and especially lifting capacity and such. There is a lot of variation in exactly the same products, and quite a bit of hyperbole in the claims.

I am not opposed to these Chinese lifts, and as I said, I have one and use it. Just…remember, they are not especially well made. Inspect the welds when you get it. Adjust the stops to get them to work together so the unit isn’t twisted when on them. Etc.

PS. You will likely not have the jack completely slide under your bike when it’s on the side stand. You’ll slide it under the frame rail on the high side, then need to rock it upright to slide it under the rest of the way. You can do this alone, as I do. But it’s easier with two people, one handling the bike, one handling the jack.

Last edited by foxtrapper; 07-10-2024 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Which motorcycle lift?