2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Ultracool Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 10:28 AM
pwu_1
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo-Wes
My 1998 FLHTCUI came with the Screamin' Eagle stage 2 and also the oil cooler. This oil cooler was OEM H-D. If the oil cooler was not necessary, I feel that H-D would not have put it on the bike.

I was very seriously considering putting on a currently offered aftermarket cooler and checked into the UltraCool and Jagg. Since they are thermostatically controlled there is no chance that your bike will run too cool, but it can safeguard the possibility of it running too hot.

And if you modify your bike at a later date for stronger performance, the additional cost of the oil cooler you will have already invested into your bike.

Plus, since you live in San Diego, you should definitely put the oil cooler on. And the fans will definitely help keep your bike cool in stop and go traffic.
For the ultracool, the oil is always circulating through the cooler. The fan is controlled thermostatically and only comes on after oil gets above a certain temperature. So there is a chance that the oil could run too cool. Ultracool even sells a cover for the cooler.

The following users liked this post:
Dallasrandy (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:20 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by pwu_1
For the ultracool, the oil is always circulating through the cooler. The fan is controlled thermostatically and only comes on after oil gets above a certain temperature. So there is a chance that the oil could run too cool. Ultracool even sells a cover for the cooler.
You are correct.
I do know that the Jagg by-passes the cooler until a thermostat opens.

DK Custom (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 02:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Originally Posted by DC2009EGUC
I watched one of you oil temperature discussions and I believe you you mentioned engine oil temp should not exceed north of 230F?

Yes, as seen in your manual, Harley says the normal operating temp of the oil should not exceed 230 F. Below is a scan from a couple of manuals.

DC2009EGUC (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 03:13 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,623 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Why? I see no reason to hang a hideous cooler on the bike. Of course, to each their own but these motors are fine with the stock oil cooler, synthetic oil and common sense. The motor can tolerate more heat than you will as the rider.
I’d like to take a moment and hijack this thread… we need pics of the Strat and Plexi! More of a PaulDeluxe or PaulAC30 myself.. but always happy to hear Hendrix.

Old 07-11-2024, 07:46 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yes, as seen in your manual, Harley says the normal operating temp of the oil should not exceed 230 F. Below is a scan from a couple of manuals.

Not trying to start an argument here but that is giving 230*F as normal operating temperature, not a do not exceed or maximum allowed temperature. Usually with specifications like this, the normal temp is not the maximum temp. The engineers usually build in quite a bit of leeway. Hmmmm. I need to look into this some more.

Uncle G. (08-04-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 09:33 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crazy
Not trying to start an argument here but that is giving 230*F as normal operating temperature, not a do not exceed or maximum allowed temperature. Usually with specifications like this, the normal temp is not the maximum temp. The engineers usually build in quite a bit of leeway. Hmmmm. I need to look into this some more.
Yep, normal is 230 F, only logical conclusion is that 240 F is NOT normal, rather it would be abnormal.

That said, yeah, there is some cushion. 230 F is the target, but as mentioned in the video below, there can be situations where the temp will go higher, but when normal riding resumes, so should normal oil temps.

An interesting side note....the oil temp, measured at the tank, is not the place where the oil is hottest. These bikes have piston oilers. They shoot oil at the bottom of the piston to help draw heat out of the piston after the compression stroke...the oil is MUCH hotter after that. Below is a video where we talk about that a bit, and show a diagram of the oilers.

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Crazy (07-11-2024), Rains2much (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 02:25 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Ooops, forgot to put in the video where we talk about 230 being normal, and the goal to shoot for, but when riding up a steep grade, hot, heavy and fast, there may be times when it will go over, but when normal riding resumes, so should normal temperatures.

DC2009EGUC (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 03:54 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,901 Likes on 1,569 Posts

I would love one of those ultracool oil coolers if it was able to be mounted behind to the back of the transmission case.
Killer Custom makes a back frame spoiler for this area of the bike and it shows you could absolutely mount a radiator there.
Fans ontop of the radiator pointing down so it would draw air from the rear tire's spin.
With my crashbar I dont have a place to put an ultracooler.
Give me a kit that lets me bolt the setup to the back of the transmission and hoses to match, and I'm sold.

Old 07-12-2024, 07:18 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

It's a shame the MOCO didn't just put a fan on the stock oil cooler on the softails, it would just make things that much more efficient and reduce worries for those hot summer days getting stuck at lights/heavy traffic.

Old 07-12-2024, 11:49 AM
Phipp 1776
Novice
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ultracool Oil Cooler

Couple weekends ago I rode down to Dale’s Wheels Thru Time, Maggie valley NC. 525 Miles from home. Riding Down I-95,85,&I-40 in the left lane 3K on the tach all day handlebar to handlebar my bike was hot as FK! Hitting accident and rush hour traffic, splittin and gittin down the far right lane to keep air flowing over the fins. Same thing going down to Columbia S.C. I got way too much $$ in my engine to burn it up sittin in traffic far from home. I’d just pay the fines if I had to. This is why I’m putting a black box on my downtube. If it cools it down that good I’ll make some more heat w/a big bore kit . Hell I’ll be 60 this year and I’m gonna keep riding like I stole it all FKN day and ½ the night!
I called UltraCool for some tech info and they are a first rate company. Their tech guy will go all out to help their customers. Hard to find a company like that anymore. I bought the High Flow 35 Micron Filter and housing with the cooler about $700 in All. Their Kit is good to go. Even included the crowsfoot and Hex key 1/3” or 7/16” to install the lines and filter adapter. Wiring harnesses everything easy day! Phipp

The following 2 users liked this post by Phipp 1776:
DC2009EGUC (07-12-2024), theheder (07-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Ultracool Oil Cooler