2018+ Softail Models Breakout

It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2024, 07:53 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I'm one of those Heritage owners who just doesn't get this vibration complaint. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've just never in the least been bothered by it. Yes, I've ridden touring bikes and they are indeed ultra-smooth, but I've taken my 2020 Heritage on many long rides, on the Interstate and off, and never once have I been bothered by vibration.
It's not "Harley" vibration, it's buzzing. High frequency and hand numbing. I went through the exact same thing with my '22 HC, before trading it for a RK. It's a real thing with some of these softails, and will prevent me from buying a new softail in the future, as I just don't want to take a chance and waste more money.

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 10:01 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMan
It's not "Harley" vibration, it's buzzing. High frequency and hand numbing. I went through the exact same thing with my '22 HC, before trading it for a RK. It's a real thing with some of these softails, and will prevent me from buying a new softail in the future, as I just don't want to take a chance and waste more money.
What's the difference between "vibrating" and "buzzing?" I'm not saying all this is imaginary because a lot of people seem to have the same complaint. Maybe I shouldn't ask because then I might be hyper aware of it and start getting numb hands.

Old 09-04-2024, 02:47 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Buzzing

I'm one of those Heritage owners who just doesn't get this vibration complaint. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've just never in the least been bothered by it. Yes, I've ridden touring bikes and they are indeed ultra-smooth, but I've taken my 2020 Heritage on many long rides, on the Interstate and off, and never once have I been bothered by vibration.
It's definitely there and I'm not the only one to notice it . It's the hard mounted motor causing it . I rode over a 100 miles today yep the buzzing hasn't gone away . I've been on four new model softails , two Heritages one Sportglide and the Lowrider St they all had it . The new 2024 Heritage was the worst probably because it wasn't broken in . It's bearable but I sure miss the smoothness of the rubber mount . If I was younger and didn't have a bad back probably wouldn't notice it . Like I said before everything else is spot on though .

Old 09-04-2024, 02:51 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

What's the difference between "vibrating" and "buzzing?" I'm not saying all this is imaginary because a lot of people seem to have the same complaint. Maybe I shouldn't ask because then I might be hyper aware of it and start getting numb hands.
I get numb feet especially on the right side very noticable on the grips too . I'm starting to get more used to it that's my only complaint with the bike . It fits me perfect handling is superb the suspension is really good for a stock Harley and the stock seat is decent .

Old 09-05-2024, 12:17 AM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

Must be bike specific because I have an RKS and LRST, run solid bushings on both and don't feel any vibe or buzzing. Got rid of the rubber foot pegs and floor boards for solid aluminum as well. That could be my middle aged beaten body not noticing anything anymore hahahaha. Anyway, about to go double Softail as I am thinking of giving up the RKS for a LRS. Long trips now a days is 500 miles or less a day and just don't see the need for a touring bike anymore as the ST can handle that and the S would be my around town cruiser.

Old 09-05-2024, 06:07 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Bike Specific

Originally Posted by coopmonte
Must be bike specific because I have an RKS and LRST, run solid bushings on both and don't feel any vibe or buzzing. Got rid of the rubber foot pegs and floor boards for solid aluminum as well. That could be my middle aged beaten body not noticing anything anymore hahahaha. Anyway, about to go double Softail as I am thinking of giving up the RKS for a LRS. Long trips now a days is 500 miles or less a day and just don't see the need for a touring bike anymore as the ST can handle that and the S would be my around town cruiser.
Well I've road four Softails and they all had it the Sportglide wasn't as bad but it has the 107 not sure if that's why . In a couple of weeks I'm going to the Bikes Blues & Barbecue rally in Northwest Arkansas. They are going to have the Harley truck there with demo rides I'm going to ride a few new Softails see if they have it . I'm sure they will I think they all do .

Old 09-05-2024, 06:46 AM
Candubrain
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 115 Posts

Just wondering if the buzz is more noticeable for those of us that worked in the trades with power tools, all our lives
Meaning those of us with nerve damage to our hands caused by the constant exposure to vibrations

Last edited by Candubrain; 09-05-2024 at 09:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Candubrain:
tba63 (09-05-2024), tmac00333 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 08:37 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I know the buzz and it's gotten more pronounced after switching to solid riser bushings but it's only in a specific RPM range, usually between 2900-3100 is where I notice it and if I'm going to be at that speed for an extended time I'll flick it up a gear if available or adjust my speed

tmac00333 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 08:46 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

It's the frequency. Vibration is lower frequency, like shaking. Buzzing is higher frequency and what causes the numbness. I had an EVO softail before my '22 HC and had no problems.

tmac00333 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 11:59 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Tools

Originally Posted by Candubrain
Just wondering if the buzz is more noticeable for those of us that worked in the trades with power tools, all our lives
Meaning those of us with nerve damage to our hands caused by the constant exposure to vibrations
Never thought of that I owned a custom cabinet shop for 40 years did a lot of sanding in those 40 years . Totaled my back from all the lifting . It bothers my hands but I really notice it in my feet especially the right foot . My right leg bothers me the most from my back so that's why . I just recently found out you can get anti vibration motorcycle boots might check into that .

Quick Reply: It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS