2018+ Softail Models Breakout

It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 07:54 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Comparison

I originally was looking at a Road King before purchasing the Heritage. That was until I saw the Heritage with mag wheels. I test road both before buying the Heritage to me the weight difference was very noticable and in stock form the Heritage suspension Is so much better than the Road King . But the worst thing about the Heritage is the vibration if it didn't have that it would almost be the perfect bike . I'm still impressed with everything else on it the new Softail frame is a huge improvement over the older one .

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 08:23 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 423 Likes on 262 Posts

I agree with you, the Heritage is much easier to live with and the stock suspension is much better, but for my part, the vibrations don't bother me, I find that it's part of the old school charms of this model.
In the other hand I have always loved the Road Kings, they have a natural class and for me they are the emblem of American bikes and I love their silky smooth ride. I think that the RKS deserves a little adaptation effort, not that difficult to take advantage of its other qualities

Last edited by Big Al 59; 09-02-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:02 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default RK

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I agree with you, the Heritage is much easier to live with and the stock suspension is much better, but for my part, the vibrations don't bother me, I find that it's part of the old school charms of this model.
In the other hand I have always loved the Road Kings, they have a natural class and for me they are the emblem of American bikes and I love their silky smooth ride. I think that the RKS deserves a little adaptation effort, not that difficult to take advantage of its other qualities
I owned an 07 Road King for a couple of months never bonded to it, at the time I also had a Dyna and a Sportster . I never rode the Road King so I sold it . It's just my taste I've never liked the heavy feel of any of the touring models also briefly owned an Ultra Classic. I never had a problem touring on a Dyna two up actually preferred it . I wish Harley made a modern version of the Dyna I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Old 09-02-2024, 02:10 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

The Dyna was a very good platform, big engine rubber mounted and lightweight machine...

BlueridgeXL (09-03-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 04:24 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

The Dyna was a very good platform, big engine rubber mounted and lightweight machine...
Yes it was I would love a rubber mounted version of the new Softail . The lightweight feel is why I loved them . Don't get me wrong the Road King is great for a lot of riders just wasn't for me .

Old 09-03-2024, 01:01 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

I've only ridden short distances twice on Dynas and that was with the 96ci, and while I appreciated the smooth ride and lightness, the engine is still a notch below compared to the M8 .
I like my Heritage for its ease and also for its vibrations which contribute to the old school feeling of this machine, but I also like the Road King for its majestic look and the feeling of being planted on the Road and its smooth ride ...
In fact I like both, so it's hard to choose but for me, a Harley must have a windshield saddlebags and floorboards, so I'm right in both cases...

BumECarlos (09-20-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 05:46 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 346 Likes on 205 Posts

Just got a new to me Dyna with the 96, you ain’t wrong about the power compared to the M8, my M8 117 has so much more everywhere. What I found is the engine braking with the 117 is massive compared to the 96. At 70mph they both spin around 2.6k, the Dyna feels smoother the M8 feels like it’s buzzing a bit.

Old 09-03-2024, 08:22 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Dyna

I've only ridden short distances twice on Dynas and that was with the 96ci, and while I appreciated the smooth ride and lightness, the engine is still a notch below compared to the M8 .
I like my Heritage for its ease and also for its vibrations which contribute to the old school feeling of this machine, but I also like the Road King for its majestic look and the feeling of being planted on the Road and its smooth ride ...
In fact I like both, so it's hard to choose but for me, a Harley must have a windshield saddlebags and floorboards, so I'm right in both cases...
I had my previous Dyna set up nicely for comfort . It was so smooth at 80 mph could ride it all day with ease . No it didn't have the power of the 114, can really tell in fourth -6th but it didn't have the vibration either . Rode it for 7 years never one problem I did regret trading it actually still do . I've already had to have the fuel pump and fuel regulator replaced on the Heritage. I've got used to the vibration more but to me it shouldn't have it at all . If it's not on other Harleys they could keep it off the Heritage. I know people today say it's part of motorcycling if they can keep it off a Dyna 20 years ago or longer should be able to keep it off a 2024 Heritage.

Big Al 59 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 03:26 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

Nice bike, my cousin has the same.

Old 09-04-2024, 07:39 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by razorbacksrule
I originally was looking at a Road King before purchasing the Heritage. That was until I saw the Heritage with mag wheels. I test road both before buying the Heritage to me the weight difference was very noticable and in stock form the Heritage suspension Is so much better than the Road King . But the worst thing about the Heritage is the vibration if it didn't have that it would almost be the perfect bike . I'm still impressed with everything else on it the new Softail frame is a huge improvement over the older one .
I'm one of those Heritage owners who just doesn't get this vibration complaint. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've just never in the least been bothered by it. Yes, I've ridden touring bikes and they are indeed ultra-smooth, but I've taken my 2020 Heritage on many long rides, on the Interstate and off, and never once have I been bothered by vibration.

Quick Reply: It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS