2018+ Softail Models Breakout

It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 08:17 PM
skm348
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a 2016 RK, such a wonderful bike, great for 2-up interstate travel but a bit heavy around town.
Just bought picked up a ‘22 HSC 114 with 8400 miles which for me is the best all-around bike there is. So maneuverable and plenty of power.

The following users liked this post:
1981FLH (07-06-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 10:45 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 423 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi Brian,
What are your feelings after a few months of use compared to the Heritage?
Comfort, maneuverability despite the weight...

Old 08-24-2024, 12:27 PM
Rob58
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981FLH
Back in 2013 I bought a switchback I loved it so much, I rode it everywhere, round town, touring, solo & 2up, the saddlebag capacity was the only negative so I upgraded to a Streetglide Special late 2015, my mate worked at Harley City in Melbourne at the time & he reckoned I would regret the change, sadly he was correct, from about 2 hours after I took delivery of it I hated everything about it except for the saddlebag capacity which was great, fast forward to 2021 & a few other mistakes & I traded my then Road King for a Heritage Classic, the saddle bag capacity is rubbish but I love everything else about her & then suddenly just recently I found myself lusting after a 2024 Streetglide, WTF! So, I gave myself an uppercut & a good talking to & have come to my senses.

Love my Heritage.
My first Harley was a 58 DuoGlide followed by many other bikes including Triumph (hard tail), a couple old Moto Guzzis, Victory etc, etc. Then a couple years ago, unlike you, I didn't slap myself and got a Pan America. It was a hoot with a ton of performance. Then my son has me go with him to a used Harley shop because he wants a Road Glide. He picked up a 2019 mid-life crisis RG with less than 4k miles on it. Meanwhile I'm eyeing a 2018 Heritage with denim paint with only 3k miles on it. Long story short I traded my 2022 Pan America for the Heritage straight up.
and couldn't be happier......I'm back home. All my sons friends have Road Glides and he likes it, but he rides pretty aggressively particularly in the corners. He says he much prefers the 100 lbs lighter HC over the RG for that. I agree. The bags suck but with a pack it's fine. Hell, I did cross Country trips on all the above and know it can be done on almost anything. My level of comfort on the HC bests my previous bikes and couldn't be happier.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rob58:
1981FLH (08-24-2024), Gimlet (09-05-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 01:47 PM
Candubrain
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
Hi Brian,
What are your feelings after a few months of use compared to the Heritage?
Comfort, maneuverability despite the weight...
Thanks for asking Al. No regrets as yet.
I don't know how to describe it, but it is a better highway ride, the HC was good, but this beats it hands down. Some may know that on my HC I put on the SE Ohlins rear shock and fork kit along with a Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs seat with Gel insert and all leather (for sale in classifieds)

Riding the RK Special was not a great experience as it came from the factory. No matter how I adjusted the rear suspension (12" shock giving 2.1" of rear wheel travel) I felt my kidneys dropping with every frost heave on the pavement. The stock seat as everyone knows is a joke unless you weigh less than 120lbs. The 38" wide bars are too wide giving me cramps between the shoulder blades and its too far a forward reach when doing full lock turns. I practice cone riding frequently and noticed the heavier clutch pull which eventually I adapted to. Not crazy about the LED display.....too small compared to the HC and I don't like the fuel cap fuel gauge.

Braking performance is exceptional, way better than the HC which I have put on a Lyndal Bowtie Rotor and their Gold pads. Handlebar vibration is very muted which is what I needed most. The additional weight is a non issue even at slow speeds, (practice, practice, practice) and slightly easier to hold stopped and balanced with both feet up. The 114 compared to the 107 makes me grin more and fuel economy appears to be similar to what I got on the HC, both completely stock.

I've put on the SE Ohlins rear shock and I now get the plush ride I like but still very stable on high speed sweepers or bumps. My Le Pera seat came in....same one as I had on the HC only different pattern. This seat is the Tall version of the Daddy Long Legs, not only moves you back 2" but up 2" as well. This has made the reach to the bars impossible and I have purchased KST's 14" Pathfinder handlebars and waiting for the rest of the cables and hose to arrive for an install
https://www.kstkustoms.com/collectio...40164241113174

My 22" Freedom shield should be in this week, I've added other trinkets such as extended brake and shift leavers, heated grips, passenger back rest, Custom Dynamic brake and signal lights. Once the bars are done I'll be heading out for a one week road trip and can update again. As of now I only have about 2,500 miles painful miles on it.....but it's getting better with the dollars.......lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Candubrain:
Big Al 59 (08-24-2024), redfin00 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 02:11 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

Thank you for your precise and detailed answer, so all in all the weight is not that much of a handicap, I remember that my 103 Road King classic with its 16 inch wheels was a little clumsy at low speed and difficult to maneuver at stopping and that's what turned me away from it, especially after trying the new Softail chassis.
I love my Heritage but I miss the majestic side of the King and I always found this special very classy, ​​yesterday I sat on a new one at the dealership and I didn't find it that heavy to lift.of the kickstand and swinging it from side to side, so I wonder if I wouldn't give it a try before I'm too old to hold it, well I'm 5"11 with an inseam of 34 and That's still an advantage, I'm going to try one next week, we'll see...
In any case your bike is super beautiful, I love the contrast of white and black...

Old 08-24-2024, 02:20 PM
Candubrain
Road Master

Thanks.....just a FYI 67yrs soon, 6'4" with 36" legs. Perhaps the low profile tires make the bike easier to maneuver.....dunno

Old 08-24-2024, 03:08 PM
1981FLH
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob58
My first Harley was a 58 DuoGlide followed by many other bikes including Triumph (hard tail), a couple old Moto Guzzis, Victory etc, etc. Then a couple years ago, unlike you, I didn't slap myself and got a Pan America. It was a hoot with a ton of performance. Then my son has me go with him to a used Harley shop because he wants a Road Glide. He picked up a 2019 mid-life crisis RG with less than 4k miles on it. Meanwhile I'm eyeing a 2018 Heritage with denim paint with only 3k miles on it. Long story short I traded my 2022 Pan America for the Heritage straight up.
and couldn't be happier......I'm back home. All my sons friends have Road Glides and he likes it, but he rides pretty aggressively particularly in the corners. He says he much prefers the 100 lbs lighter HC over the RG for that. I agree. The bags suck but with a pack it's fine. Hell, I did cross Country trips on all the above and know it can be done on almost anything. My level of comfort on the HC bests my previous bikes and couldn't be happier.
Well I couldn’t get that 2024 SG out of my mind so I went ahead & traded my HC in on one, what a great bike the SG is, many improvements over the years, my wife & I are going to do 1/2 a lap of Australia in April next year so it will get well tested especially on our 3rd world roads here.

Attached Thumbnails It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS-img_5698.jpeg  
Candubrain (08-24-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 08:45 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

To follow up on my post above and my question about whether or not to take a Touring again, I tested a Road King Special yesterday.
This is a 107ci model in Industrial gray denim , unfortunately it was fitted with forward controls, I prefer the platforms which are part of the charm of these machines as well as their comfort, that said the impression of greater maneuverability felt when stopping compared to my ex 103 Road King classic was confirmed from the first turns of the wheels, the front is much lighter and movements at low speeds in traffic are easier, take the angle in the winding is natural and the sequences of turns are effortless, the ride is much smoother than on the Heritage and the sensation is different, we are seated higher and I find that impression of flying over the road which I liked so much on my Road King whereas on the Heritage we sit lower and have more the impression of being in the motorcycle and of feeling more the mechanics and the road.
On the other hand, the original shock absorbers are very stiff at the rear and I think it is imperative to change them, the engine is very flexible and this sensation is multiplied due to the flexible mounting of the engine in the frame and it is very pleasant for me who likes to drive quietly at low revs.
Finally I think I got a taste for Touring again with this test, the ride is slightly less instinctive and easy than on the Heritage because you have to take into account the greater inertia of the machine, but it's not unpleasant.
I am under the spell of this model which is a class above in terms of presence and aesthetics, in addition I always wanted to have a Road King with rigid saddlebags which are much more practical and roomy than that of the Heritage and give it that classic look of the models of yesteryear and which are part of the visual signature of this model while my two old ones had leather models and I think that with a Wind Splitter windshield for long journeys, it could make a very good bike and that it is still time for me to enjoy it before I'm too old and can no longer hold it...
To be confirmed with the test of a 114 model with the original floorboards...

Last edited by Big Al 59; 09-01-2024 at 08:50 AM.
Candubrain (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Candubrain
Road Master

@Big Al 59 The 114 in the RK is a major step up over the 107 in the HC I had. Hated the 12" OEM shocks, there are many better options and prices out there....good luck with your search

Big Al 59 (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 01:46 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

Thanks Brian,
I have the 114 on my Low Rider S and I like it a lot but I wonder how it feels on the RKS, I am not in surch of power, just low end torque and flexibility...

Quick Reply: It's Goodbye HC Hello RKS