2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 09:26 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
FFS.... I have BBP cartridges. I know exactly what crap internals OEM forks have. And brake dive has nothing to do with inverted forks. That isn't the point. Internals don't have anything to do with crappy outdated Harley front ends. Internals have nothing to do with the strength of a front end. Keep arguing internals because clearly internal control features are the only thing that matters in fork design. The external shell is irrelavent. They could make them out of plastic to save weight. Run what you like.
no arguing just debating. Take a deep breath and calm down. So you replaced your internal parts in your inverted forks? They were not strong enough?

Old 07-03-2024, 10:02 AM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
no arguing just debating. Take a deep breath and calm down. So you replaced your internal parts in your inverted forks? They were not strong enough?
Your argument is inverted forks have zero benefits and are irrelavent in forks.

Internals, or lack of them, are nothing but control. Compression, rebound, and preload... If it even has them, which most Harley forks don't. They do nothing for the strength of the fork. They are flimsy, delicate, control circuits that control how the fork reacts to inputs. Forks have oil... Are you trying to tell me oil makes forks stronger? DK customs has a piggy back damping circuit, you are trying to tell me intiminators make a fork stronger?

Head bearing, triple clamps, and inverted forks are how you build a strong front end. That is what determines handling performance. Damping only effects feel and yes improves tire contact on bumps.... But put the nicest most advanced Ohlins cartridges in a crappy noodle front end, and you still have a crappy noodle front end. Have fun with that.

Maybe you don't know what inverted forks are....

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...de-down-forks/

Last edited by Powermankw; 07-03-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:16 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

It's unfortunate but like he said it comes down to accounting ie the penny pincher suites. This is what I worry about if I go with the Lowrider St. I already would have to change to forward controls, tall risers, foot boards, better seat, passenger pegs, the optional stereo, exhaust and most importantly the suspension front and rear. That's a whole lot of extra money on top of the already pricey msrp+. If I add all that up which I haven't bit off the to of my head I bet it ends up being a $30k Softail. Dam.

If I go 2024+ RG all I would need to change is the exhaust. Maybe the seat eventually. Thats it. Comes with everything else. Even the suspension I've heard is pretty good on the new touring models.

I'm only thinking out loud. Still don't know which one I'm going with. And I bet the FXLRST is a killer bike with full Ohlins suspension.

Last edited by Zakk13; 07-03-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 01:22 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Your argument is inverted forks have zero benefits and are irrelavent in forks.

Internals, or lack of them, are nothing but control. Compression, rebound, and preload... If it even has them, which most Harley forks don't. They do nothing for the strength of the fork. They are flimsy, delicate, control circuits that control how the fork reacts to inputs. Forks have oil... Are you trying to tell me oil makes forks stronger? DK customs has a piggy back damping circuit, you are trying to tell me intiminators make a fork stronger?

Head bearing, triple clamps, and inverted forks are how you build a strong front end. That is what determines handling performance. Damping only effects feel and yes improves tire contact on bumps.... But put the nicest most advanced Ohlins cartridges in a crappy noodle front end, and you still have a crappy noodle front end. Have fun with that.

Maybe you don't know what inverted forks are....

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...de-down-forks/

I could have sworn I saw a set in my garage. Yep there they are. But thanks for your input.

Old 07-03-2024, 01:30 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zakk13
It's unfortunate but like he said it comes down to accounting ie the penny pincher suites. This is what I worry about if I go with the Lowrider St. I already would have to change to forward controls, tall risers, foot boards, better seat, passenger pegs, the optional stereo, exhaust and most importantly the suspension front and rear. That's a whole lot of extra money on top of the already pricey msrp+. If I add all that up which I haven't bit off the to of my head I bet it ends up being a $30k Softail. Dam.

If I go 2024+ RG all I would need to change is the exhaust. Maybe the seat eventually. Thats it. Comes with everything else. Even the suspension I've heard is pretty good on the new touring models.

I'm only thinking out loud. Still don't know which one I'm going with. And I bet the FXLRST is a killer bike with full Ohlins suspension.
So you might be piling on a bit. Honestly, I agree that for what you want, it's an RG. And for what you would have to get... It would eat into that cost savings.... However... What you say you NEED for an ST... You don't. And all that stuff most replace on a RG. Seats and suspension are both common upgrades on everything HD puts out. That same "junk internals" Kevin talks about is in the RG too. Because stock... They suck. But do you NEED Ohlins on a ST... Of course you don't. They are soft. A $100 pair of springs fixes that and brake dive.

We already talked about exhaust. That is same for both

Ergos... Now that will cost you to get right, and the RG is already right for you. You can get the stereo speakers for the ST... But the RG is going to be much better functioning. And honestly, I'm good with minimal, but the digital display sucks. Ridiculous the ST doesn't get the simple gauge the other softail get... And it will cost me $600+ just to get it. Stupid.

The only thing the ST has that you can't get is a honkin motor, better suspension and geometry, and 150 lbs lighter. But so far, you have not listed last as what is important to you.

I think you are on the right track. I think you would fall in love with both. But the RG seems closer to what you say is important... And Ergos are a big one... And you wouldn't feel the need to change a bunch of stuff. Only you know what is "fun" for you, and which one will give you the bigger smile.

Last edited by Powermankw; 07-03-2024 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2024, 01:53 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zakk13

Hence the part we’re he says it’s a joke. I did not hear him say anything about the strength and being STRONG. He said it’s a joke! 😂

Old 07-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

I could have sworn I saw a set in my garage. Yep there they are. But thanks for your input.
Ya, the stuff in the pic is the important part. For some reason you think the plastic spacer and needle valve inside is all that matters.

Old 07-03-2024, 02:28 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Ya, the stuff in the pic is the important part. For some reason you think the plastic spacer and needle valve inside is all that matters.
let’s just be done here. Good luck with your bike.

The following users liked this post:
Powermankw (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Texan_in_Switzerland
Intermediate
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

No. But my use case is maybe a bit different. I live in the mountains of Switzerland and avoid the highway because there is almost always a more fun way to get where I want to go via a mountain pass. Also, I find the ‘24 Road Glide boring and too civilized. I want to brap and get the adrenaline rush, and I just have never gotten that on a bagger. Maybe if I lived in Texas or northern Germany where highway is king - but I would still miss that big-engine-small-bike rush. It’s not that I don’t tour, just I enjoy back roads and mountain passes and plan accordingly.

Last edited by Texan_in_Switzerland; 07-03-2024 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texan_in_Switzerland:
BlueridgeXL (07-04-2024), Redlegvzv (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

So you might be piling on a bit. Honestly, I agree that for what you want, it's an RG. And for what you would have to get... It would eat into that cost savings.... However... What you say you NEED for an ST... You don't. And all that stuff most replace on a RG. Seats and suspension are both common upgrades on everything HD puts out. That same "junk internals" Kevin talks about is in the RG too. Because stock... They suck. But do you NEED Ohlins on a ST... Of course you don't. They are soft. A $100 pair of springs fixes that and brake dive.

We already talked about exhaust. That is same for both

Ergos... Now that will cost you to get right, and the RG is already right for you. You can get the stereo speakers for the ST... But the RG is going to be much better functioning. And honestly, I'm good with minimal, but the digital display sucks. Ridiculous the ST doesn't get the simple gauge the other softail get... And it will cost me $600+ just to get it. Stupid.

The only thing the ST has that you can't get is a honkin motor, better suspension and geometry, and 150 lbs lighter. But so far, you have not listed last as what is important to you.

I think you are on the right track. I think you would fall in love with both. But the RG seems closer to what you say is important... And Ergos are a big one... And you wouldn't feel the need to change a bunch of stuff. Only you know what is "fun" for you, and which one will give you the bigger smile.
So the ergonomics are definitely the most important part. So setting the bike up for comfort would be the number one priority. And that's where I'm torn. I really do like the idea of the ST being a lighter more nimble bike. Honestly it's the bike I've always wanted Harely to make. A light nimble bagger. It just sucks I would have to dish out extra money on an already pricey bike to get it there. Forward controls, footboards, handlebars and risers and seat aren't cheap. So even just adding that stuff will cost a pretty penny over the price of the bike.

Now with that said I don't know for sure If the 24 Road Glide even though it's all set up already would be a fit. It's seems like it is based on sitting on it and feeling how balanced it is compared to last years model. But that's not a real test. I would definitely have to test ride one to know. Because I don't want to be stuck with a bike that's not fun just because it can eat highway miles. I don't take long trips. Even though in my head and dreams I would like to. But I still would like a bike that if I hop on the highway it's not affected by wind and trucks. I want stability. So even if I take a short couple hour trip I want the bike to be rock solid.

The comment in the above video about changing out the suspension to Ohlins front and rear makes the FXLRST so rock solid you can go 150mph+ definitely peaked my interest. Not that ill ever ride that fast. But that tells me it really make the bike super stable. Which sounds like it would be great on the highway with that suspension upgrade. With my bad back the more stable a bike is the better. Which is why im being super picky. And I know riding a RG in a straight line would be super comfortable and stable at highway speeds. But then slow riding local might be an issue with the bigger bagger.

It's going to be a hard decision when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?