2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 06:49 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
I would never buy the CVO. It's Standard model RG for me all the way. Why? Because you end up changing sh$t out off the bike anyway to make it fit you and make it your own. I can't Even imagine paying $45k for a bike and then still putting even more money out to change the bars, seat, exhaust, foot boards ect... What the Hell was the point of getting the CVO if you weren't going to keep it stock? The Standard model is a better platform to make it your own.

I'm mean its a killer bike and I'm not trying to bash the decision or the bike and if you have that kind of money then go for it. I'm just saying for the money I personally wouldn't go that direction. But then again I'm broke. Lol.

Old 07-02-2024, 06:53 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by luckiestiff
@Powermankw it's an HD part for the SE Ohlins stuff. Here's the link for it. I thought about the zip tie route but figured what the hell and got the side cover. Comes with the mount for the adjuster, fits up like a stock side cover.
So basically the Ohlins shock comes with the pre load adjustment **** and then you just get the cover from Harley Davidson?

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 06:54 AM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 667 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Pretty sweet set up you have there. I'm guessing you didn't like the stock hardshell bags? You also had the adjustable shock handle installed. How much did that cost? I think that should come stock from the factory on the ST. Actually looks better too vs the fake oil tank looking think they come with stock. What size risers did you go with? 6 inch?

The windshield looks really good. Especially since it's dark. I don't like the big clear ones. They don't look good. The dark tint blends in with the fairing. I wonder how I would fair with that at only 6ft tall? Would I still be able to look over it? If not I could get a shorter size.

What would you say your total cost of the bike is with all your mods?
I have both the stock HD bags and the Leather Pros and swap them out as needed. The shock is an Ohlins HD 516 with pre load. I'm running 8" straight risers currently but may go to 9.5" pullback for a little more relaxed arm. Clearview has mulitple sizes, I went with the L based on the information on the CV site.

Zakk13 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:02 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Powermankw
That's an Ohlins rear shock and hydraulic preload. You can't do that with OEM... Not enough length. I like that solution over others, but I just zip tied mine out of the way. Once I set it, I forget it.
That shock is a pretty penny. How's the performance over stock?

Old 07-02-2024, 07:12 AM
luckiestiff
Road Master

@Zakk13 worth every single penny, I'd do it again without question

Zakk13 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 07:13 AM
luckiestiff
Road Master

So basically the Ohlins shock comes with the pre load adjustment **** and then you just get the cover from Harley Davidson?
exactly

Zakk13 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:06 AM
Powermankw
Cruiser
Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by luckiestiff
@Powermankw it's an HD part for the SE Ohlins stuff. Here's the link for it. I thought about the zip tie route but figured what the hell and got the side cover. Comes with the mount for the adjuster, fits up like a stock side cover.
Wow, under $100. Amazing! That's not that bad. I've see before but nothing to mount there. But I see it comes with bracket for that. Humm... I don't need adjustment, and I don't need it displayed, but at least it's a good mount solution. The bracket that came with it didn't fit well where intended to my satisfaction. Nice!

Zakk13 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,531 Likes on 962 Posts

I would never buy the CVO. It's Standard model RG for me all the way. Why? Because you end up changing sh$t out off the bike anyway to make it fit you and make it your own. I can't Even imagine paying $45k for a bike and then still putting even more money out to change the bars, seat, exhaust, foot boards ect... What the Hell was the point of getting the CVO if you weren't going to keep it stock? The Standard model is a better platform to make it your own.

I'm mean its a killer bike and I'm not trying to bash the decision or the bike and if you have that kind of money then go for it. I'm just saying for the money I personally wouldn't go that direction. But then again I'm broke. Lol.
I remember you now. You were inquiring about the st a while back. Once a penny pincher always a penny pincer. 😂. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of buyers are buying older low rider s models and putting the advanblack st fairing on and saving some money. The advantage of being able to put different bags on it is another advantage on going with an s model. The s and st are the same bike. Basically.

Old 07-02-2024, 01:39 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Durham man
I remember you now. You were inquiring about the st a while back. Once a penny pincher always a penny pincer. 😂. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of buyers are buying older low rider s models and putting the advanblack st fairing on and saving some money. The advantage of being able to put different bags on it is another advantage on going with an s model. The s and st are the same bike. Basically.
Dam right I'm pinching pennies. Lol. Well not really. Considering Im about to blow every last penny I have on a bike and say F it all. I almost bought a 2022 Lowrider ST when they first came out but the dealership was price gouging in the pandemic and I walked. Probably would own one right now if it wasn't for that. I guess I should thank them because now I have a badass Crossbones I bought in mint condition.

With that said Im at the point where If i am going to drop that kind of money. Money I really dont have. Its going to be on the right bike. Im back and forth. Is it going to be 2024 Road Glide or Lowrider ST? Or 2025? Dont know but its between those 2 bikes.

I wouldnt go the Lowrider S route. The front front suspension is different and I don't want to have to build a bike. Wouldn't hold its value as well either. Only way that route makes sense is for people who already own them.

Old 07-02-2024, 02:11 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,531 Likes on 962 Posts

Dam right I'm pinching pennies. Lol. Well not really. Considering Im about to blow every last penny I have on a bike and say F it all. I almost bought a 2022 Lowrider ST when they first came out but the dealership was price gouging in the pandemic and I walked. Probably would own one right now if it wasn't for that. I guess I should thank them because now I have a badass Crossbones I bought in mint condition.

With that said Im at the point where If i am going to drop that kind of money. Money I really dont have. Its going to be on the right bike. Im back and forth. Is it going to be 2024 Road Glide or Lowrider ST? Or 2025? Dont know but its between those 2 bikes.

I wouldnt go the Lowrider S route. The front front suspension is different and I don't want to have to build a bike. Wouldn't hold its value as well either. Only way that route makes sense is for people who already own them.
the s and st inverted forks are no better than any other m8 softail in stock form. They are inverted shell’s with the same guts that regular forks have. It takes a cartridge kit then u have true inverted forks. In today’s market is anything holding a value.

Quick Reply: Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?