2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 12:10 PM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
How's that S&S pipe sound on the M8? Looks good. 👍
Thanks. Pipe is mellow at cruise, nice bark when you hit the throttle.

The following 2 users liked this post by natural gasser:
99Blueflame (06-29-2024), Zakk13 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 12:46 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 654 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
So first, the Crossbones is what it is, which is not a new Lowrider. So you can cruise around, but...

The fairing on the ST gets raves. I need a fairing... Nerve damage, long story, who cares... But the fairing is very very good. I have no problem thinking the RG is even better, but the ST is all I need. I don't get pushed around by trucks at all.

I have no idea what vibrations it has... Other than being a Harley. Meaning it's not a BMW or Gold wing. It's the same drive train as the RG so that is no different. I'm regularly at 70-90. I hit a 100, but admit I don't much care for more on a bike not like a car. And I'm a new rider, older, not young and crazy anymore... But the ST is a confident ride. It's still a heavy cruiser... Not a sport bike, not a big bagger.

As far as comfort... I'm 5'10... A 6.5 riser was all I needed. I could go taller, but didn't want to extend stuff. Much better, all I need. If I went taller, I don't care for the looks of tall risers even if that's a fad now... But risers are way easier than bars. I don't care for apes. I don't know how tall you want, but I wouldn't need much taller if I had my way. I did put mini floorboards on which made a big difference. I know I can put heritage forward boards on... I haven't made that decision yet. I like the mids, but they are too high... That is real and a problem. Or seat is too low. I wanted more time. The mid/minis are good, I can go taller or forward/backward with a seat. That will change where I'm at with bars... But right now I don't have a strong opinion where to go and I have gotten used to what I have. So I'm not sure if I will make another move, or get heritage boards. I have crash bars and on my long trip can stretch my legs like highway pags and even hanging my feet on rear bars was really comfortable and straightened my hips. So plenty of positions to move around.

Sounds like you really need to get out on a couple of test drives.
I have issues too which is why I want a fairing and stay off the major highways for now. Im 6ft so I wouldn't definitely need different risers and foot position. Thats why for the money the new RG might be a better bet for me comfort and money wise. Your Lowrider ST not getting moved around by trucks sounds promising. Sounds like the fairing does a pretty good job and the weight is adequate to keep it stable.

I still would like the moco to come out with better color options and trim. Hopefully for 2025 they do. Im not a fan of the wrinkle black. Its good for durability but not for looks. Im all about looks when it comes to my bikes. Looks, sound and comfort. Thats my top 3.

Old 06-29-2024, 02:01 PM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Brother I’m sure the 2024 RG is not going to disappoint whatsoever! 😉

In fact it’s my next bike either after the ST or with it if my finances ever allow, lol.

The following users liked this post:
Zakk13 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:48 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Brother I’m sure the 2024 RG is not going to disappoint whatsoever! 😉

In fact it’s my next bike either after the ST or with it if my finances ever allow, lol.
Yeah. That's the bike I'm leaning towards. 👍

Old 06-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Powermankw
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Im all about looks when it comes to my bikes. Looks, sound and comfort. Thats my top 3.
Well if that is what is important to you, the LRST isn't going to get you there. I think the LRST is the PERFECT bike FOR ME. I mean everything about it... But the ergos are stupid for such a nice and expensive bike. It does have a ton going for it. It is a home run for a lot of people... But it will never be a RG, cause it can't be. They can never get a softail close to a RG. Makes no sense in the line up. Why give a lot of a RG in a cheaper model? What they did is hot rodded a softail and gave it more functionality for more people. It's the best softail... But if you want more, you gotta get a full bagger.

But a base model RG is bad ***. You don't have to get the full moving truck. And ya, gets you what is most important and plenty of meat left on that 117 bone to still have fun.

Old 06-29-2024, 06:48 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Well if that is what is important to you, the LRST isn't going to get you there. I think the LRST is the PERFECT bike FOR ME. I mean everything about it... But the ergos are stupid for such a nice and expensive bike. It does have a ton going for it. It is a home run for a lot of people... But it will never be a RG, cause it can't be. They can never get a softail close to a RG. Makes no sense in the line up. Why give a lot of a RG in a cheaper model? What they did is hot rodded a softail and gave it more functionality for more people. It's the best softail... But if you want more, you gotta get a full bagger.

But a base model RG is bad ***. You don't have to get the full moving truck. And ya, gets you what is most important and plenty of meat left on that 117 bone to still have fun.
Yeah I'm sure the FXLRST is the perfect bike for a lot of people. I'm still a fan because I do like the idea of a lighter bike with fairing and bags. It's still an option. I haven't decided yet. But the ergonomics are kind of wonky. I would definitely have to ride one for awhile to really know if I would be comfortable and what kind of tweaks I would have to make. I do get the mid controls for more of a sport ride.

As far as sound goes I was talking about exhaust sound which would be taken care of on both the RG and LRST regardless of which one I got because I like loud pipes. With that said I've never owned a bike with a stereo and maybe that would be really nice. Especially since I used to be into car systems when I was younger and It would be cool to tinker with that on my motorcycle and listen to music and mess with the bass. The RGs system would fit that bill.

If I did go Road Glide it would definitely be the standard model. I'm really stuck between chrome and blacked out though. I'm a huge fan of blacked out but like chrome and that Alpine Green with chrome looks really good. If I went blacked out I'd probably go with the white pearl.

If I decide to go LRST I'm definitely waiting for 2025 to see what colors and trim they come out with. Not digging the current colors. And like I said really hoping they do away with the wrinkle black. Right now the black on black looks the best to me if I had to choose.

Last edited by Zakk13; 06-29-2024 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 10:55 PM
Powermankw
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah I'm sure the FXLRST is the perfect bike for a lot of people. I'm still a fan because I do like the idea of a lighter bike with fairing and bags. It's still an option. I haven't decided yet. But the ergonomics are kind of wonky. I would definitely have to ride one for awhile to really know if I would be comfortable and what kind of tweaks I would have to make. I do get the mid controls for more of a sport ride.

As far as sound goes I was talking about exhaust sound which would be taken care of on both the RG and LRST regardless of which one I got because I like loud pipes. With that said I've never owned a bike with a stereo and maybe that would be really nice. Especially since I used to be into car systems when I was younger and It would be cool to tinker with that on my motorcycle and listen to music and mess with the bass. The RGs system would fit that bill.

If I did go Road Glide it would definitely be the standard model. I'm really stuck between chrome and blacked out though. I'm a huge fan of blacked out but like chrome and that Alpine Green with chrome looks really good. If I went blacked out I'd probably go with the white pearl.

If I decide to go LRST I'm definitely waiting for 2025 to see what colors and trim they come out with. Not digging the current colors. And like I said really hoping they do away with the wrinkle black. Right now the black on black looks the best to me if I had to choose.
I'm good with the mids, but they are too high. You need clearance so they can't be lower... Then the seat is too low. That part is all wrong. Low hips high knees is not a sporty position for anything.

So I have a very expensive and very nice system I put in my truck. I had a very nice Harley in my basement in the form of a 2.1 channel stereo. I have good audio, and just don't get motorcycles. My wife has a trike with one. I wanted some helmet speakers. The JBLs are supposed to be best... I'm sure they are... But it's all garbage on a bike. Ya, you can hear a song next to a jack hammer, doesn't make it good. It comes standard on baggers, fine. So be it. But 90+ dbs of wind and pipes... No point. I know that's not what your decision is based on, but a good pair of noise canceling ear buds would be much better.

You would think more colors would come quicker than they are. That new tobacco fade is pretty cool. I liked the Fast Johnny edition. But I do love my murdered out black on black. Hell a friend even gave me a black bell. Love it. But when I was getting mine, a guy had a black/black RG ST.... DAMN sexy!

I just put Metzelers on to replace OEMs. Night and day. Stick like glue, but now it's nimble. Front tire is just crazy. I feel like I can throw it around now. Can't wait to get stage 2 in this winter. Fun stuff. So perfect for me.

Zakk13 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 06:51 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

I'm good with the mids, but they are too high. You need clearance so they can't be lower... Then the seat is too low. That part is all wrong. Low hips high knees is not a sporty position for anything.

So I have a very expensive and very nice system I put in my truck. I had a very nice Harley in my basement in the form of a 2.1 channel stereo. I have good audio, and just don't get motorcycles. My wife has a trike with one. I wanted some helmet speakers. The JBLs are supposed to be best... I'm sure they are... But it's all garbage on a bike. Ya, you can hear a song next to a jack hammer, doesn't make it good. It comes standard on baggers, fine. So be it. But 90+ dbs of wind and pipes... No point. I know that's not what your decision is based on, but a good pair of noise canceling ear buds would be much better.

You would think more colors would come quicker than they are. That new tobacco fade is pretty cool. I liked the Fast Johnny edition. But I do love my murdered out black on black. Hell a friend even gave me a black bell. Love it. But when I was getting mine, a guy had a black/black RG ST.... DAMN sexy!

I just put Metzelers on to replace OEMs. Night and day. Stick like glue, but now it's nimble. Front tire is just crazy. I feel like I can throw it around now. Can't wait to get stage 2 in this winter. Fun stuff. So perfect for me.
Yeah the stereo at highway speed is kinda useless I agree. But cruising at slow speeds in town and back roads it's not. Or parked just hanging out.

The new tobacco fade looks good. Would look better without the wrinkle black accents. But the extra money for the paint is way too expensive. I would rather black on black. Out of all the colors they've released so far the black on black and the white pearl are the 2 best for the LRST. IMO. The El Diablo was nice too. But again not paying thousands extra for paint. Same with the Fast Jonnie.

My 2008 Crossbones came with Dark Blue Pearl with special tribal pinstripes. By today's standards that would be a $3k paint job. Lol.

I will say my issue with Harleys vivid black paint is it's soft. You can fart on it and it will scuff. My 2018 RKS was a Bear to keep clean and scuff/scratch free. But I do like the way it looks when clean. I almost bought a 2022 LRST when they first came out. Dealerships wanted too much so I walked. And it was black on black. If it wasn't for their price gouging at the time I might already own one.

Last edited by Zakk13; 06-30-2024 at 06:55 AM.
Powermankw (06-30-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 07:00 AM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 667 Likes on 306 Posts

Good luck on your 4 day trip. Let me know how it goes with your ST. I'll be interested so hear if it was comfortable and aslo stable on the highway that distance. And how good the wind protection was.
@Zakk13 this post made me realize I hadn't taken my ST on any long, uninterrupted highway rides. So Saturday I got up early, topped off the tank and hit the road. Mostly state highway with a bit of interstate for good measure. Here's my thoughts on stability and wind, the bike was no less stable that I noticed, no wierd reaction to passing semi trucks, rvs etc. Wind protection was good, I've got a Clearview large windscreen and it helps a lot. Definitely more wind than my bagger but that's not a bad thing. Comfort wise, I've got my bike set up for me so I was *mostly* comfortable. There were a few times I needed to stand on the pegs and let my butt breathe but I don't fault the bike for that. Overall, I burned 2 tanks of gas over about 325 miles and I feel like this bike is a perfect combination of fun and comfort. on local 2 lanes and highways.

Thanks for asking the question, that's what prompted my Saturday putt.

Zakk13 (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:25 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by luckiestiff
@Zakk13 this post made me realize I hadn't taken my ST on any long, uninterrupted highway rides. So Saturday I got up early, topped off the tank and hit the road. Mostly state highway with a bit of interstate for good measure. Here's my thoughts on stability and wind, the bike was no less stable that I noticed, no wierd reaction to passing semi trucks, rvs etc. Wind protection was good, I've got a Clearview large windscreen and it helps a lot. Definitely more wind than my bagger but that's not a bad thing. Comfort wise, I've got my bike set up for me so I was *mostly* comfortable. There were a few times I needed to stand on the pegs and let my butt breathe but I don't fault the bike for that. Overall, I burned 2 tanks of gas over about 325 miles and I feel like this bike is a perfect combination of fun and comfort. on local 2 lanes and highways.

Thanks for asking the question, that's what prompted my Saturday putt.
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it handled the highway very well. Being 6ft if I went with the FXLRST I would definitely get the taller windshield as well. It really sounds like a jack of all trades bike. Great for riding local and hitting the back roads bit also can handle the highway miles.

I just have have to decide if I want a jack of all trades type of bike? Since I already own a Softail for local riding it might be best to get the new 24 RG for highways and longer rides for maximum stability, wind protection and comfort. That way I'll have the best of both worlds for each specific riding.

luckiestiff (07-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Any FXLRST owners eyeing the new 2024 RG?