2018+ Softail Models Breakout

My '22 FXLRS tuning plan. Your thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Gimlet - On that dyno sheet they advanced the cam 4 degrees. See in the description where it indicates Andrews plus 4? That is a cam sprocket that advances the cam timing. Just wanted to point that out to make sure you knew there was another part to that result.

Zach
I called andrews about that sprocket back when I had my 103 twin cam. I was running the S&s hp 103 cams that had a very late intake closing that translates to big power but all in the upper rpm’s. It also makes for a soft bottom end. With that sprocket you advance timing to get the bottom end in the sweet spot quicker. The guy from Andrews said it was for people who buy the wrong cam. Meaning you don’t have enough compression to run it. But it puts a band aid on the problem.

Old 07-02-2024, 03:09 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,746 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
It looks like the CR483 might fit the ticket and be a cam that will work in the stock 117" and a big bore motor too.

The CR483 is a drop in cam for stock spring height. Power range between 2,000 to 5,500. This cam makes loads of Mid range torque ! It just pulls hard! Stock thru 11:1 compression ratio. Has a very lumpy idle and makes smaller engines sound like the big boys! This cam in Screaming eagle 131 engines is Matt Smiths personal favorite because of the strong 160 plus Ft lbs of torque by 3500 rpm in these stock 131’s!

Just in case you're not aware, TTS in the US and TTS in the UK are two different entities. I'm not saying you can't get a TTS tuner in the UK for a decent price, but they are made in California.

As for the HPI manifold, the thing that concerns me if is this. "HPI's billet intake manifold will bolt to a stock throttle body with a slight step"... I would think that may cause turbulence and a power loss. The Harley Screamin' Eagle Extreme-Flow 55mm Intake Manifold $201.95 Part Number: 27300167 is $100 less in the US, not sure the price difference in the UK, and you can always sell it later if you decide to go with something larger. By the way, the SE throttle bodies perform very close to the HPI's and are quite a bit less. The part number for the naked 64mm SE throttle body without the manifold is 27300147. I think you can still buy it that way. I paid less than $250 for the throttle body in 2019, I'm sure it would be more now. The Screamin' Eagle Extreme Flow 64mm EFI Intake Manifold is $263.95 Part Number: 27300185. This is what the SE manifold looks like.

M8® intake manifold will bolt to a stock throttle body with a slight step, no exchange .needed, as it's just the manifold upgrade. M8® intake manifold will bolt to a stock throttle body with a slight step, no exchange needed, as it's just the manifold upgrade. M8® intake manifold will bolt to a stock throttle body with a slight step, no exchange needed, as it's just the manifold upgrade.
Since posting about the HPI throttle body and manifold I've had another email from Fuelmoto. They said the larger throttle bodies and the stepped HPI manifold produce big gains with big bore engines but on a stock 117 it would mean sacrificing a shed load of low and mid range toque and they didnt recommend it.

So I'm now on board with the 55 mm SE manifold and keeping the stock throttle body. I can still run the HPI tunnel ram, but one sized for the stock throttle body.
I guess I've lead myself astray with my future-proofing idea, against a possible big bore kit later on. That isn't really going to fly. If I'm going to go for a stage 3 (pipe, cam, breather, tuner) for now and see how I like it, I think I'm going to have to accept that if I do go 128" with ported heads, higher comp etc, later I'm just going to have to swallow changing out cam and intake parts. I don't think there's any way to square that circle. It is what it is.

So that's where I am now.

SE 55 mm manifold.
Sawicki mid.
Stock TB.
HPI tunnel ram
TTS compensator
Cam - still working on. It's between the Woods 22XD and the CR 485. It'll probably come down to nothing more than UK availability, which favours the CR.
Rekluse clutch: still working on.
Tuner... yes, I knew TTS US and TTS UK were different companies. TTS UK is essentially a distributor for Rotrex super chargers and that's their area of expertise. I had a UK dealer for TTS tuner modules lined up for a conversation but in the last couple of days they've taken down their TTS listing and now all they're showing is a Power Commander. I don't want one of those so I'll continue trying to source a UK TTS provider, otherwise I'll just have to import.

Last edited by Gimlet; 07-02-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 03:22 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Couldn't agree with that statement more. There are so many good cams out for the M8, there should be no need to mess with an advance sprocket.

Zach

Originally Posted by Durham man
I called andrews about that sprocket back when I had my 103 twin cam. I was running the S&s hp 103 cams that had a very late intake closing that translates to big power but all in the upper rpm’s. It also makes for a soft bottom end. With that sprocket you advance timing to get the bottom end in the sweet spot quicker. The guy from Andrews said it was for people who buy the wrong cam. Meaning you don’t have enough compression to run it. But it puts a band aid on the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 08:34 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
I'll continue trying to source a UK TTS provider, otherwise I'll just have to import.
Good call, best tuning device made.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (07-02-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 06:06 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Couldn't agree with that statement more. There are so many good cams out for the M8, there should be no need to mess with an advance sprocket.

Zach
I hadn't spotted the cam timing in that dyno. I've dialed the cams on metric bikes I've tuned, but that was precisely because they'd had head work done and ran higher compression as well as tighter valve clearances allowing for more overlap. It needed changes to ignition timing too with a complete re-writing of the ECU.. But the cams themselves were stock.
Changing the cam on an otherwise stock top-end and having to dial the cam timing to make it work strikes me as the wrong way round and suggests you've bought the wrong cam.

Last edited by Gimlet; 07-03-2024 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 06:17 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Now the flip side isThe sprocket would make sense if you are planning to go big bore in the near future. It would be temporary then removed after the big bore. Then your upper rpm cam would build low end torque with the increased compression.

Old 07-03-2024, 06:36 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by Durham man
Now the flip side isThe sprocket would make sense if you are planning to go big bore in the near future. It would be temporary then removed after the big bore. Then your upper rpm cam would build low end torque with the increased compression.
That's a good point. But I've come round to thinking that I'm talking myself into unnecessary expense and compromise by trying to plan for a bog bore while only doing a stage 3. I think it has to be one or the other and as I can't afford the big bore just yet I'd be better off concentrating on doing a stage 3 properly and committing to it.
I'm nearly there though still chewing over the manifold question. I'm now wondering what the difference is between the SE 55 mm "extreme flow" manifold and the S&S cnc ported 55 mm manifold, other than the price.

Old 07-03-2024, 07:43 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
That's a good point. But I've come round to thinking that I'm talking myself into unnecessary expense and compromise by trying to plan for a bog bore while only doing a stage 3. I think it has to be one or the other and as I can't afford the big bore just yet I'd be better off concentrating on doing a stage 3 properly and committing to it.
I'm nearly there though still chewing over the manifold question. I'm now wondering what the difference is between the SE 55 mm "extreme flow" manifold and the S&S cnc ported 55 mm manifold, other than the price.
When I was purchasing a 55mm manifold I wanted the SE model, but the SE ones were out of stock. I also think that at that time the S&S manifolds were about the same price. I see now there is huge price difference. It looks like Harley has the 55mm manifold available now, so if I was in the market that's the way I would go. I don't think your performance will vary.

Old 07-03-2024, 07:49 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by $tonecold
When I was purchasing a 55mm manifold I wanted the SE model, but the SE ones were out of stock. I also think that at that time the S&S manifolds were about the same price. I see now there is huge price difference. It looks like Harley has the 55mm manifold available now, so if I was in the market that's the way I would go. I don't think your performance will vary.
There's a few 55 mm options, including Fueling. As far as I can see the only difference between the SE and the more expensive S&S is that the latter is black anodised (or some sort of black finish, anyway) externally and highly polished internally. Whether the polishing translates into nearly 200 bucks of extra performance is debatable. But I admit they do look nice...

Old 07-04-2024, 01:47 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

When I went to stage 2 I did the cycle rama comp ramp. I also did the aim clutch spring’s to avoid clutch slippage.

Quick Reply: My '22 FXLRS tuning plan. Your thoughts please.