2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Seeing my engine on the road from the inside: OEM vs Stage 1 tune ONLY vs Stage 1 tune + SE slip-on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 10:52 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 400 Likes on 263 Posts

Earlier in this thread, I reported that I am getting a message that falsely claims my battery voltage is below the minimum 11.9 volt limit that the software insists on before it will actually alter any ECU programming. Repeated efforts via different techniques, sequences, precautions (beyond the sole HD suggestion of keeping a battery tender hooked up while doing any tuner processes) have not been fruitful. So I called HD Customer Help.

But, I basically got no help there. The rep had no information to share (e.g. Has this been reported by others? If so, is there a software bug? If so, is a fix planned?). Basically he had NOTHING to pass on to a customer experiencing this issue. And yet the issue is important enough that HD instructions advise having a battery tender hooked up (which I do) while programming, and programming by the tuner STOPS the effort to alter the ECU tune as soon as the false low voltage message appears, so actual battery voltage is clearly a known concern to the product engineers.

What the rep did was say the same thing as the online Q&A website for the tuner says in SO many replies to customer questions of ANY sort about the tuner: "Go to your HD dealer to get assistance".

Unfortunately, my HD dealer, while being very helpful when I have asked them for help on prior questions or issues via phone or email, is physically 175 km = 109 miles away = 2 hours, each way, plus the diagnostic time, which turns this into a "most of the usable day" event.. Good thing I'm retired.

Plus, I have to wonder: Does HD reimburse the dealer for the diagnostic time and effort, or do they expect the dealer to provide free diagnostic service, or will the dealer want me to pay the dealership for the time they spend solving an obviously false trouble message and stoppage that HD's inadequate programming created?

Jim G

Old 06-24-2024, 04:18 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Success! I figured out how to trigger a download of the latest app update, approved and watched the download process, installed the HD apaprently altered tune that prepares the ECU tune to record a recording session, started a recording session, rode for 80 minutes on almost deserted highways including one that has a 110 kph = 68 mph speed limit,, and explored every practical combination of % throttle opening and engine rpm.

Then I saved the resulting recording, authorized the app to use the recording to modify the Stage 1 default tune to optimize it for my engine, and stayed with the bike and iPhone, with the battery tender still plugged in the entire time, until the app indicated it was finished. Then did a successful "restart" of the ignition after a >20 second wait period, and apprently succeeded, because the app then displayed a version of the % throttle vs RPM table that was different than the oriignal default downloaded tune.

I have no idea what I did differently than I did the last time. But this time, there was a "battery voltage less than 11.9 volts" which this time still kept the "continue" button ON versus grayed out, so I pressed "continue", and everything went to a multi-step completion that included cycling the ignition off and one more than once!

If I can figure out how to find and download a saved copy of that modified table, I will post the original default tune table and the modified table in another posting in this thread.

I wish I could say using this tuner was easy to get this modified optimized tune, but this last step in my multi-process testing was disappointingly elusive for the past 24 hours.

Jim G

Old 06-25-2024, 08:40 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Nice report.

A few questions and observations.

How does the Stage 1 tune affect idle stability? I know it boosts the RPM, but does it stabilize it too? Or does it still lope and hunt like the stock or base tune does?

I suspect the increased ignition timing advance is to fully exploit high(er) octane fuels. For I suspect the stock or base tune allows the bike to comfortably handle low octane fuel. Stage 1 probably does not.

I suspect the changes in ignition timing are what is largely driving the engine (cylinder head?) temperature changes.

Engines haven't run lean for many years, because a lean engine has high NOx emissions. EPA sets engine emission standards NOx.
Nor can the engines go too rich, because CO and HC emissions start to climb. EPA sets engine emission standards for these as well.
So engines are kept close to stoichiometric, or slightly rich, ever more tightly so, with better and better sensors and such. All for lower overall emissions and increased engine efficiency.

Old 06-25-2024, 09:13 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Oh, oh, a new problem with the tuner software. When I connected up to the BCI yesterday, it decided there might be an update that needs to be downloaded. So, it apparently tried to do the downloading of the update, but then flashed this message:

So, naturally, I pressed "Try again". That turned out to create a bIG problem, as then it started to flash that same message, with increasing frequency! And would not stop. Even when disconnected from the BCI overnight! And when I say "increasing frequency", I mean it is reflashing the same message about once every second, so the screen mostly now looks like this:

so that i cannot even press the cancel button until it sometimes, at unpredictable intervals, momentarily (only) stops flashing. But pressing the cancel button then does NOT stop it from trying. It continues.

I also noted that the current installed version of the software app is 1.1.7. BUT the current App Store version shows 1.1.5, which is an OLDER version number!

So, reviewing my experience with this tuner so far:

- The tuner did enable me to load a Stage 1 tune, although only after at first insisting multiple times that my almost brand new Lithium battery, which starts the bike instantly, was below minimum acceptable voltage, and finally dropping that message and doing the tune install

- It then worked fine for multiple test rides displaying the "Performance Gauges"

- Then it made "recording" a ride to use to customize the tune to my bike difficult by with the repetitive "low voltage" message stopping my multiple times before miraculously working again

- At the completion of the recording session, it allowed me to properly save the recording, and then used the recording to customize the default Stage 1 tune to my specific bike, and also enabled me to export the recording data to my iPhone's filing system

- Then, the next time I connected to the BCI again to try to see if the recording data could be exported in a common format (e.g. pdf), it tried to do this software update and fell into the flashing "Update failed" mode

Sigh . . .

To add a little more humor:

The reason I tried to see if I could export the recording in a different format is that the default format is as a Filename.HDX format. The HDX file extension is associated with the Delphi MultiHelp Index File format, developed by Autodesk. It is an index file used by the Delphi programming environment to provide quick access to help information for Delphi applications. So, it looks like HD used that environment to develop this app, or paid Delphi (BIG automotive tuning supplier) to do it. But iPhones and computers don't recognize this proprietary format so cannot open the files.

To open an HDX file, the Autodesk MultiHelp application is required. This program is a help documentation system used within Autodesk products such as AutoCAD and Revit. Unless you have an Autodesk installation, you cannot open the file i a "readable" manner. I am going to have to Google to see if there is an aftermarket software app that will open an HDX file.

Sigh . . .

In my opinion, this software is a little too buggy for prime time . . .'

Jim G

Old 06-25-2024, 09:31 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Nice report.

A few questions and observations.

How does the Stage 1 tune affect idle stability? I know it boosts the RPM, but does it stabilize it too? Or does it still lope and hunt like the stock or base tune does?

I suspect the increased ignition timing advance is to fully exploit high(er) octane fuels. For I suspect the stock or base tune allows the bike to comfortably handle low octane fuel. Stage 1 probably does not.

I suspect the changes in ignition timing are what is largely driving the engine (cylinder head?) temperature changes.

Engines haven't run lean for many years, because a lean engine has high NOx emissions. EPA sets engine emission standards NOx.
Nor can the engines go too rich, because CO and HC emissions start to climb. EPA sets engine emission standards for these as well.
So engines are kept close to stoichiometric, or slightly rich, ever more tightly so, with better and better sensors and such. All for lower overall emissions and increased engine efficiency.
The idle stability is not visibly improved. Still hunts, just using the 950 rpm versus 850 rpm as the "target".

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
joenc (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:48 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

On the "battery voltage below 11.9 volts" issue:

My dealership service manager emailed me with this message:
"The tuner will always say that the battery voltage is too low unless the battery is at a full state of charge and plugged in. When the ignition is on your battery is typically sitting around 12.0-12.2 volts however it falls below 11.9 volts quite fast if the ignition is on for any length of time.

"

I have 2 responses:

1. If HD knows this, why on earth would they set the minimum acceptable voltage to 11.9 volts?

2. Why then does my tuner app "Gauge" function show the voltage, taken directly from a sensor on my bike, being 13.1 volts with the engine off??

Like I said, this software is not really ready for prime time.

Old 06-26-2024, 12:03 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

By the way, this morning, when I tried again to turn on the ignition and the app, the app no longer flashes the "Update failed" message like it was doing yesterday! Now, I am again able to select other functions on the app. Again, I have no idea why.

At this point, I am hoping that the apparently successful "Smart Tune" optimization of my Stage 1 tune, using the recorded data from my 80 minute ride recording, leaves me with my end objective (an optimized, full Stage 1 tune) having been obtained, despite the drama that the software bugs created. If so, and if the Gauge displays continue to work despite the recent drama, I am reasonably satisfied, with just a couple of concerns:

1. I still have not figured out how to find and export an iPhone screenshot of my optimized AFR table (the optimization of the tune via the Smart Tune process changed that table, and I want to compare the original to the optimized table to see the differences

2. What might happen if the app again at some point decides it wants to check for and apply any updates (because that is what apparently triggered the rapidly repeating "Update failed" messages)

Jim G

Old 06-26-2024, 04:11 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

I managed to figure out how to find each of the tables that Smart Tune apparently altered.

HD makes no apparent provisions for exporting data like this in any format except their version of HDX format files, and I cannot find any program that will open those HDX files properly.

So, I displayed each table in the app on my iPhone, and used the iPhone "screen capture photo" technique to grab each such screen and place it into my iiCloud Photos library. From there, I was able to export them as jpg photo files, which I was able to upload here.

I am no tuner, so I can only understand SOME of these tables and their significance. But I figured if I post them here, you can all can get an idea of what CAN readily be screen-captured and thus exported, and maybe any thread reader here who DOES have tuning skill and experience can enlighten all of us as to individual table significance and likely outcomes of the actual settingss and readings.

So, here we go:

In the photo above, I have no idea why some of the cells are highlighted in green by the app

I have a minor injury right now that prevents me from taking the bike out for a test ride to see what differences I can detect now that the Smart Tune has altered the original HD Stage 1 tune. I hope to be able to take that test ride on my standard 80.5 km loop route soon.

I do have to say that this process so far, despite the issues I have raised above in this thread, HAS improved the sound, smoothness, and power of my Breakout 117, so I am persevering to overcome issues as they arise.

Jim G

Old 06-26-2024, 06:06 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Can't answer your specific questions, but surely the Harley software will give you more details and data than an iphone app will?

https://streetperformancetuner.harle...reetTuner.aspx

I guess you'd need the cable kit to use it with a computer maybe? And the software appears to be Windows-only. I don't know, I haven't used the bluetooth version of the tuner. My bike uses the prior version, and with that the Harley software lets you pretty much review, compare, and update everything the tuner can do. I would assume the software for the bluetooth tuner is comparable.

The following users liked this post:
BrandonSmith (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:36 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Can't answer your specific questions, but surely the Harley software will give you more details and data than an iphone app will?

https://streetperformancetuner.harle...reetTuner.aspx

I guess you'd need the cable kit to use it with a computer maybe? And the software appears to be Windows-only. I don't know, I haven't used the bluetooth version of the tuner. My bike uses the prior version, and with that the Harley software lets you pretty much review, compare, and update everything the tuner can do. I would assume the software for the bluetooth tuner is comparable.
I cannot comment on how the computer version of the software works, because as you mentioned, the software only works on a Windows-based computer, and not a Mac. I downloaded the pdf of the HD user manual, and read, and re-read it, but it is much like the mobile version of the software itself: not really ready for prime time. The process descriptions are adequate if no bugs are encountered, but the very brief troubleshooting section is shown here in its 1-small table entirety:

And as you can see, its solution for the "low battery message" (item 12) fails to address what I discussed earlier in the thread, it never addresses the strobing "Update failed" message I encountered in multiple attempts to use the app, and it never addresses the inability to export the data it creates for your analysis in any manner except in a file type that cannot be read by any file-readers I have been able to find and try.

I think this package has worthwhile capabilities even though it is NOT a replacement for a full blown tuning package, seems to be supported and useful only for late model bikes (2021 and later), cannot handle bikes with California or non-North American bikes (enforced via not even accepting their VINs), and is very constrained by EPA limits. It would for example meet my personal needs and objectives just fine - IF it did not have those show-stopping bugs.

I hope HD will put into the package the in-house and contracted efforts it needs to become a reasonably bug-free product. At that point, I could recommend it wholeheartedly for an HD owner with reasonable expectations. Right now, I cannot in good faith give it an unqualified recommendation.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Seeing my engine on the road from the inside: OEM vs Stage 1 tune ONLY vs Stage 1 tune + SE slip-on exhaust