New here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 08:59 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Seat

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
For those of us who don't enjoy the vibrations, I think if Harley or someone aftermarket came out with the original, more effective, engine counter shafts, we'd buy them. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

There are a number of posts of folk finding engine mounting bolts loose and sometimes missing. Addressing this reduces the vibration on their bikes. When I can, I'm going to check mine. Just something that each of us can do in the pursuit of vibration reduction.

Something else would be bar weights. I don't see any good or ready way to install bar end weights on the throttle side. Though a sleeve insert might work on the throttle end, same for those running heat grips to deal with the controller on the clutch side. But something attached to the mirror mounts might help and be easily attached. It also might break things. I may try some experiments at this location with some flat stock or such, just to experiment.

I know part of the issue I have with the vibration through the boards is their size, position and angling. They are too level, a little too low, too close to the bike, and small. It has me often dangling my feet off to the sides of them, defeating the vibration isolating inserts. So extensions to get them out further should help. And maybe some brackets inserted in between the boards and those extensions so I can move and angle the boards. And maybe even trying other boards, like the bigger ones from the touring bikes. I've also thought about experimenting with things on top of the inserts, to move my feet that way. Zip tie things like a wooden board in place to see how it works for me. Something any of us could do as well.

Seats play an interesting difference in the vibration, as well basic comfort. I've run the stock seat, a Reduced Reach Seat, and both Sundowner seats (solo and dual).
The stock seat was ok, but not an all day comfortable seat to me. I could ride it all day, but it wasn't pleasant. I would splay my legs on it, positioning my feet poorly on the boards. It also transmitted some vibration to my butt. Not much, but some.
The Reduced Reach seat was a firmer foam, and narrower. It was oddly wide and sharp edged at the front, making it quite uncomfortable to put my feet down at a stop, or to hold my legs in against the tank. So, poor foot positioning on the boards, increased foot vibration.
The Sundowner, both types, have a soft outer layer of foam and a narrow nose. The reduction in vibration and butt discomfort is pronounced. They also let me better position my feet on the boards, which substantially reduced my foot vibration.

Just some food for thought regarding the vibration reduction some of us would like.
So far I've been fine with the stock seat and I can handle the vibration in the grips . It's the floorboards that are bothering me specifically the right one . Like I said I have back problems that affect my right leg the buzzy floorboard is literally making my foot go numb . I don't see how some people don't notice it . I'm pretty sure it's on all the new softails .

Old 07-06-2024, 09:34 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by razorbacksrule
It's the floorboards that are bothering me specifically the right one .
Personally I've found no difference between the two, and don't remember seeing complaints about the right board in the threads here. So that leads me to suspect there's something unique with your bike, or perhaps you.

To that end, I'd examine the right board closely.
Making sure it's mounted correctly and securely.
Making sure it's not touching something like the exhaust or such.
Making sure the insert is in good shape and properly installed.
I would do this with the bike off and cold, so I don't burn myself.
But also running, so I could feel by hand the difference between the boards and the effect of running (like when I didn't realize that piece moved so much with the engine running it came over and touched the board and such).

Then I would further examine my foots relationship to the board.
I do not have a good relationship to them myself, and do defeat the vibration dampening of the insert somewhat as a result.
My feet tend to sit cocked and to the outer edge. This can really squish down the inserts rubber ***** on the outside, letting vibration through.
Having my feet outboard on the boards also has my foot frequently touching the outer frame of the floorboards, which are completely undampened for vibration.
This would likely be best done with another person or two, so you could sit on the bike in the upright riding postion, and they could really look at your foot there on the board. It's hard for you to examine that yourself.

The rubber ***** the inserts ride on aren't terribly strong. If your leg over squishes them, then inserting some rubber tubing or under the board inserts to bolster the existing rubber ***** might work well for you.

You, with your back problems are hyper sensitive to anything off on the right leg. So I'd suggest really chasing this down. For you, the ~$30 floorboard extensions on Amazon are probably a great problem solver. I have a set of ~3/4" extensions that I haven't installed yet, but another member posted recently about finding and installing a full 1" extension from Amazon. You'll lose some cornering lean with extensions, but that's likely worth it for the better foot positioning.

Also, might you be getting some problematic vibration via your leg touching the gas tank and the air filter housing? I personally find the tank a non issue, but the air filter contact I do not like. With your back injury you might be hyper reacting to these contact points.

Just some ponderings and thoughts.

Old 07-06-2024, 09:44 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

Personally I've found no difference between the two, and don't remember seeing complaints about the right board in the threads here. So that leads me to suspect there's something unique with your bike, or perhaps you.

To that end, I'd examine the right board closely.
Making sure it's mounted correctly and securely.
Making sure it's not touching something like the exhaust or such.
Making sure the insert is in good shape and properly installed.
I would do this with the bike off and cold, so I don't burn myself.
But also running, so I could feel by hand the difference between the boards and the effect of running (like when I didn't realize that piece moved so much with the engine running it came over and touched the board and such).

Then I would further examine my foots relationship to the board.
I do not have a good relationship to them myself, and do defeat the vibration dampening of the insert somewhat as a result.
My feet tend to sit cocked and to the outer edge. This can really squish down the inserts rubber ***** on the outside, letting vibration through.
Having my feet outboard on the boards also has my foot frequently touching the outer frame of the floorboards, which are completely undampened for vibration.
This would likely be best done with another person or two, so you could sit on the bike in the upright riding postion, and they could really look at your foot there on the board. It's hard for you to examine that yourself.

The rubber ***** the inserts ride on aren't terribly strong. If your leg over squishes them, then inserting some rubber tubing or under the board inserts to bolster the existing rubber ***** might work well for you.

You, with your back problems are hyper sensitive to anything off on the right leg. So I'd suggest really chasing this down. For you, the ~$30 floorboard extensions on Amazon are probably a great problem solver. I have a set of ~3/4" extensions that I haven't installed yet, but another member posted recently about finding and installing a full 1" extension from Amazon. You'll lose some cornering lean with extensions, but that's likely worth it for the better foot positioning.

Also, might you be getting some problematic vibration via your leg touching the gas tank and the air filter housing? I personally find the tank a non issue, but the air filter contact I do not like. With your back injury you might be hyper reacting to these contact points.

Just some ponderings and thoughts.
The right is bothering me more because my right leg is affected by my back . The vibration isn't any worse than the left .

Old 07-06-2024, 09:47 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Floorboards

Personally I don't like floorboards they have to be set just right to be comfortable. I'm looking into replacing them with regular pegs right now .

Old 07-06-2024, 10:03 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Pegs

This is what I need .

Old 07-06-2024, 10:03 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,663 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I don't see regular pegs helping you with vibration sensitivity, but they are your feet, so you're the best judge of that.
There are pegs out there with rubber inserts and even rubber suspensions. Not cheap, but might be a viable choice for you.
My hearsay understanding is the peg conversion kits match up to the Pan America for peg fit. See if that information might help you find better vibration dampening pegs for you and your bike.

Old 07-06-2024, 10:57 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Pegs

I don't see regular pegs helping you with vibration sensitivity, but they are your feet, so you're the best judge of that.
There are pegs out there with rubber inserts and even rubber suspensions. Not cheap, but might be a viable choice for you.
My hearsay understanding is the peg conversion kits match up to the Pan America for peg fit. See if that information might help you find better vibration dampening pegs for you and your bike.
Might not help with the vibration but I can move my feet around instead of having them planted in the same place . Like I said I've never liked floorboards even before I had a bad back .

The following users liked this post:
foxtrapper (07-06-2024)