2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Full length exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 05:25 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,740 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
I have thought a lot about adapting a Akro to Termi titanium muffler to a set of headpipes for my Street Bob. Those mufflers sound meaner than hell on Ducati's. It would definitely have a unique sound on a HD. One day.

Zach
It's a thought. As long as they can flow enough gases for a much bigger lazy pulsing engine. (I hadn't been aware when I bought my first Harley just what a tricky business tuning these engines can be).
It would be interesting if Akro and Termi made systems for Harley cruisers (I think Akro do for the Pan America) to see what their take would be. You can bet they'd nail both performance and sound. The full Akro system I had on my 1290 Superduke sounded amazing without being offensive or harsh. They really hit the Goldilocks zone with that one that no other aftermarket manufacturer quite managed.

I've got a Termi system on my race-tuned Ducati 1098 SF (makes about 180 bhp and 100ft/lb). There's no baffles in it and at full chat it sounds like nothing on earth

It might push the average price of Harley systems up if the Euro big boys entered the Harley market though. You pay for the name big time.

In fact it makes me smile the way non-Harley riders like to make a sing and dance about the price of Harleys when you look at the crazy prices they'll pay for fashion accessory farkles for their metrics. You can buy a top performing stainless full system for a Harley for under £2000. The Jackpot Riot which performs as well as anything out there is less than a grand. A full race Termi system for a V4 Panigale is nearly £5000. And it's not as if it's truly necessary. Stock Harleys do come pretty strangled from the factory and need uncorking. A Termi system is the cherry on the cake for a Panigale but they're still 200+ bhp straight out of the EU-neutered crate. And a Pani - amazing thing though it is - costs more than a Street Glide for about a third of the metal.

So I suppose we should be grateful for the plethora of mostly American and mostly comparatively small-scale Harley-dedicated aftermarket manufacturers. They offer great choice and value compared with the corporate European aftermarket industry.

But yeah, I'd still like to see what Termi or Akro would come up with for a big bore Harley.

Last edited by Gimlet; 02-06-2024 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:48 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 425 Likes on 262 Posts

I would like to mount a 2 into 1 Propipe on my Low Rider S, because I would like to mount Sport Glide bags and here in France it is one of the cheapest models at €940, plus I could mount a quiet baffle because I don't want tit oo loud, I like its long line which I find more harmonious than the short models, especially with saddlebags...

Old 02-06-2024, 01:06 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 832 Likes on 376 Posts

Mines about as full length as it gets. I always think right about axle length is good on these bikes. Too long and they look like a bagger and too short the back half of the bike looks too bare. To each their own I guess

Old 02-07-2024, 01:56 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

love this Thunderheader, but it's too expansive in France, double the price of the Propipe...
I think it would have looked very nice with the chrome version which would have contrasted with the black hardware of the rest of the bike...
Is there anyone here who has mounted a Propipe on a Low Rider S or ST, it seems that it is no longer a very common model ?

Old 02-07-2024, 02:31 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
love this Thunderheader, but it's too expansive in France, double the price of the Propipe...
I think it would have looked very nice with the chrome version which would have contrasted with the black hardware of the rest of the bike...
Is there anyone here who has mounted a Propipe on a Low Rider S or ST, it seems that it is no longer a very common model ?
thought I heard it was discontinued no?

Old 02-07-2024, 02:39 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,024 Posts

The rhinehart 2 into 1 is a great looking exhaust. I think it is also discontinued.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:53 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

we can still find the Propipe in France in standard version or PCX version with the Cat inside...
I prefere the chrome version wich make a great contrast with the black hardware of the bike..

like also the Rinehart, but I don't think there is a quiet baffle available for it...