2018+ Softail Models Breakout

LRS/ Sport Glide hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023 | 03:35 PM
Gimlet
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by coppertop666
That's exactly what I do - I think its an unappreciated bike, to be honest, however, it does get a lot of compliments from other riders who don't know what it is.

Could it use a little more power??? Maybe... I'm pretty happy with the 107 although I am toying with throwing in a cam and tune, but that's just because I can, its not "needed" IMO.

Good Luck with your project, gonna be watching this one.
That looks great. The lines are so close to the LRS, especially with the solo seat, with a retro hint of softail slim with the headlight.
I do worry slightly about the clamp-mounted dial on the LRS and whether it'll stick up like a sore thumb compared with the SG. But TBH, I'd sacrifice that little stylistic imperfection to keep the heads-up instrument display. The SG's tank-top dial does look the business but I've got used to, and really like, not having to drop my head to read my speed so I'll find a way to make the bracketry work aesthetically.

The following users liked this post:
coppertop666 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 03:39 PM
Gimlet
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
If you didn't already have the LRS I would say just get the Sport Glide with a Stage 4 as well. Lol
But more than half the fun of owning these bikes is making them your own. Your plan sounds totally doable. But since you asked for "thoughts" here are mine.
1. Very cool build planned!
2. The fairing should be doable as well. With the LRS you get the dual rotors and steeper rake so better handling than the Sport Glide
3. For the rims I too hated the bronze and had mine powder coated gloss black for $600. Best money spent. They look great and for me better fit with bikes colors.
4. Saddle bags. If you are planning a 2 into 1 pipe then definitely get the SG bags. I kept my LRST 2 into 2 and like the higher bags, but I don't think they look as good when going 2 into 1.

Should be a very fun build and very cool when done. You could get some graphics for the rear bags something like " FLSB-117 Custom". Lol

Blatant post of LRST rims powder coated black. I did the pull too as I saw one done and it looks great.
Yeah I could very easily live with those wheels. I kind of like the idea of milled edges on the spokes but I could live with gloss black like yours. Million time smarter than the bronze for not a lot of cash. That's the way to go.
Bags graphics are a cool idea as well. Cause some chin scratching at bike meets.
The painted pulley is a nice touch too. Tops it off as raw aluminium never looks "finished".

Last edited by Gimlet; 09-18-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2023 | 04:20 PM
Gimlet
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
if you mount the bags of the Sport Glide (it would be great because they look fine), it would be preferable in my opinion to mount them like they are on the Sport Glide not like they are on the LRST in a higher position, thats one of the things I dislike on the LRST, with a two into one it will be nice....
for the fairing, I think the fork is the same and you could clamp it easely, just to mount a bigger head light as you said above...
I like the idea to make a different preparation on this bike, as most of the times they are modified in a club style way, I don't like the "club style" especially the very high risers (above 8") with the moto cross handlebars, it looks weird for me, they don't seem to be part of the bike so high up...
I'd also like to modify my LRS in a different way, not like you, but in a more road-going way, as I don't like the sporty driving and aggressive style it's often given...
So if I fit the rear fender lugs form the LRST either ST or SG bags will fit straight on?
Is it the case that the ST bags only sit so high to allow for the twin pipes? If so that's good to know. I'll definitely be fitting a 2:1 Jackpot Riot so if that allows the lower SG bags that's good news.

Old 09-18-2023 | 06:53 PM
natural gasser
Road Captain

It's very doable, several have done it, myself included. I couldn't find Sportglide bags at a reasonable price ( I want the lower mounting also) so settled on FXR type clamshells along with a FXR style fairing and lowers. Have the CR480 cam (114") and it has excellent torque.

The following 3 users liked this post by natural gasser:
Big Al 59 (09-19-2023), Gimlet (09-19-2023), Wmitz (09-18-2023)
Old 09-19-2023 | 05:45 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Part of what gives the SG it's look is the rear fender. You will need to replace the fender supports and I figured you would want black.
Rear Fender Supports $368.95 Part Number: 59500771
DESCRIPTION
Make a bold statement on the rear of your bike by swapping out the stock Fender Supports with this Gloss Black Rear Fender Support Cover Kit.
• Gloss Black finish
• Manufactured from Original Equipment components to ensure superior fit and finish
• Complements gloss black passenger sissy bars and luggage racks
And you will need the fender.
59500467 FENDER,RR,PRIMED | (prime) Price: $540.92

Now, if you do want the fairing and the 7" headlight, I will be putting an ST fairing on my Sport Glide later this year. I'm sure I'll be willing to part with the extra parts. If you're going to do all of this I would go with foot boards instead of forward pegs, but that's just me.

By the way, it is the inside shell of saddlebags that determine how they sit on the bike. That's the difference between the Sport Glide and the ST bags.

The saddle bags if you piece them together will cost $2837.34 + tax. It would be less expensive to order the complete bags, but I could only find them for the LRST. FXLRST Saddlebags - Vivid Black $1,499.95 Part Number: 90202534DH. The SG inner panels are about $600 if that's what you want. Plus their vivid black already.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023 | 01:03 AM
Gimlet
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Part of what gives the SG it's look is the rear fender. You will need to replace the fender supports and I figured you would want black.
Rear Fender Supports $368.95 Part Number: 59500771
DESCRIPTION
Make a bold statement on the rear of your bike by swapping out the stock Fender Supports with this Gloss Black Rear Fender Support Cover Kit.
• Gloss Black finish
• Manufactured from Original Equipment components to ensure superior fit and finish
• Complements gloss black passenger sissy bars and luggage racks
And you will need the fender.
59500467 FENDER,RR,PRIMED | (prime) Price: $540.92

Now, if you do want the fairing and the 7" headlight, I will be putting an ST fairing on my Sport Glide later this year. I'm sure I'll be willing to part with the extra parts. If you're going to do all of this I would go with foot boards instead of forward pegs, but that's just me.

By the way, it is the inside shell of saddlebags that determine how they sit on the bike. That's the difference between the Sport Glide and the ST bags.

The saddle bags if you piece them together will cost $2837.34 + tax. It would be less expensive to order the complete bags, but I could only find them for the LRST. FXLRST Saddlebags - Vivid Black $1,499.95 Part Number: 90202534DH. The SG inner panels are about $600 if that's what you want. Plus their vivid black already.
That's really good info. Thanks.
Yes, I was thinking about the rear fender, mainly to get the SG rear light/indicator set-up and to lose the lay-down license plate off the top of the fender and get it mounted lower down (UK license plates or massive yellow things and look awful on top of the fender, even with a lay-down bracket).
Didn't know about the fender supports. Thought I could just fit the bag attachment lugs from the ST and the SG bags would fit on them. Buying the ST bags and changing the inner shell would save a good chunk of money too.

Thanks for the heads-up on your headlight. Does that mean you're selling the fairing as well? If so, is it black? Yes, I would be interested when you're ready to part with it.

Old Today | 07:07 AM
Callisto
Stage I

Jumping on this a year after OP. Did you ever get around to do this conversion? I’m looking at the LRS and the Sport Glide now and thought of the same thing you did. LRS with SG rear fender and saddlebags and tail light setup.

How did you go? Did you do the handlebars as well?