2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What’s Too Many Miles FXLRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023 | 03:00 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

HDs are not like some small metric bikes. They are designed to be ridden for a lot of miles over a lot of years. The reason that these bikes are a lot heavier than metric bikes is that they are built for durability and longevity. And the M8 engine appears to be the best engine yet, at least according to some.

Old 08-18-2023 | 03:07 PM
Elite021
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
HDs are not like some small metric bikes. They are designed to be ridden for a lot of miles over a lot of years. The reason that these bikes are a lot heavier than metric bikes is that they are built for durability and longevity. And the M8 engine appears to be the best engine yet, at least according to some.
Thats good to know. I was initially concerned that my bike would start to ride rough and have lots of mechanical issues in the 100k+ miles area.

Old 08-21-2023 | 04:53 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
And in addition to the robust build quality, there's the fact that Harleys are almost endlessly fixable. Pretty much every part down to the last nut and bolt can be purchased off the shelf as an original part, even for discontinued models. They've seemingly been designed with the expectation that they will be taken apart, rebuilt and kept on the road for a very long time. European and Japanese bikes feel like they're intentionally throwaway. Individual components are often unavailable and you're left having to replace whole units at prohibitive cost. And that's before we start on the built-in obsolescence of electronic components.
A good, well maintained Harley you should be able to keep more or less forever.

The only European bikes I've owned that had that feeling of permanency were the last generation of analogue KTM's, and I think that came from their off-road competition DNA when spannering was an expected aspect of ownership. Now though KTM with their street bikes have very much embraced the high tech, ride, upgrade and replace business model.

Last edited by Gimlet; 08-21-2023 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2023 | 07:07 AM
bduds65
Road Master

I cannot speak for the M8. I have a 19 Heritage. Purchased with 6000 miles and now I have 9k with no mechanical issues. I have aftermarket handlebar issues which may be tied to the HD riser, but that doesn't really count I suppose.

I plan on doing a whole ton of upgrades over the next few years. While I am not 100% happy with the bike, I've spent some good money so far. I dove in that pool, now I guess I have to swim in it. My unhappiness is mainly with the stupid whistle sound that the M8 has. My wife has a 21 and she says doesn't have that sound. So what do I do? I get a $3500 estimate for new cam, headers and tuner and put that into my 5-year plan.

That said, if I see a late-model Heritage with just about everything I want, would I trade? Maybe. Bikes cannot hear you talking behind their back can they? LOL

My 02 Wide Glide has 40k miles and still looks brand new. The brakes are squishy. The shifting is sloppy. All compared to my 19. Would I trade her? NFW

Old 08-21-2023 | 10:25 AM
Elite021
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gimlet
And in addition to the robust build quality, there's the fact that Harleys are almost endlessly fixable. Pretty much every part down to the last nut and bolt can be purchased off the shelf as an original part, even for discontinued models. They've seemingly been designed with the expectation that they will be taken apart, rebuilt and kept on the road for a very long time. European and Japanese bikes feel like they're intentionally throwaway. Individual components are often unavailable and you're left having to replace whole units at prohibitive cost. And that's before we start on the built-in obsolescence of electronic components.
A good, well maintained Harley you should be able to keep more or less forever.

The only European bikes I've owned that had that feeling of permanency were the last generation of analogue KTM's, and I think that came from their off-road competition DNA when spannering was an expected aspect of ownership. Now though KTM with their street bikes have very much embraced the high tech, ride, upgrade and replace business model.
Well that pretty well puts to rest any of my big concerns. I have several trips already booked so I’ll be putting some miles on this summer and fall. I just didn’t want to feel like I was gonna “wear my bike out” after all the customization I had done over the past 2 years.

I won’t be doing this level of customization to my 2nd bike. It’s cost me a fortune and I don’t wanna do that again.

Old 08-21-2023 | 11:16 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by Elite021
Well that pretty well puts to rest any of my big concerns. I have several trips already booked so I’ll be putting some miles on this summer and fall. I just didn’t want to feel like I was gonna “wear my bike out” after all the customization I had done over the past 2 years.

I won’t be doing this level of customization to my 2nd bike. It’s cost me a fortune and I don’t wanna do that again.
The long term aspect of ownership (and for me the near endless customising possibilities) was what clinched my decision to buy a Harley. I wanted a cruiser to go with my supernaked and adventure bike so I could enjoy a different sort of riding. But never having owned a Harley or any other cruiser before I had no brand loyalty and I wasn't looking to buy a particular badge, so I looked at various options including Indians, a Guzzi California and a Triumph 1700 Thunderbird.
The European bikes just don't have the versatility of ownership that a Harley offers and the Triumph in particular has a complicated engine that I suspected would have a finite lifespan, while a Harley is very home-maintenance friendly. And the Indians, though I've no doubt are well engineered, to my eyes simply don't look as nice as a Harley and the aftermarket options are more limited and seem to me to be quite expensive. So the Harley it had to be and I don't regret it.

I plan limited customising. Starting with uncorking the engine with a cam, exhaust, breather and tune and some minor changes to the ergos with bars and risers etc for comfort reasons. But that'll probably be about it.

Last edited by Gimlet; 08-21-2023 at 11:19 AM.