2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Metzler Cruisetec Radials

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024 | 03:00 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
When I was racing on the track (amateur fun times) I learned about all those tire tricks and tips in the 1980s. After that I was trying to do the same on the street. And I used to hit the road at 4:30 Friday and return after riding through a couple states on Sunday night. Lots of different road surfaces, topography and weather. I was driving myself nuts trying to apply the track methods to a traveling motorcycle experiencing changing conditions.

Now I pretty much just run 36/40 and get good grip across my riding. Since I have installed the SYKIK TPMS on my 2019 FLHTP, I get a pressure and temp reading. Pressure reads 2 PSI higher than my gauge shows. So I set it by my air gauge and not the TPMS. But I do see the temps and pressure rising. Max cold PSI on the Metzler 888 is 40 PSI, and I'd like to run 42. But at 40 PSI I not have over 14,000 miles on my tires and they are well above 5/32 still.
And that makes a lot of sense... Even though I want to "dial in"... The truth is I'm not riding anywhere near the performance level of the tire, there is only so much I am going to get out of my tires, across all conditions and circumstances. In the end it's a number that works the best for the most... And I can tweak it a bit for specific things I might go do.

Biggest thing I learned from all this and watching all the videos... I got a better respect for cold tires. That is not really something I thought much about. All things are not equal and I can't do everything based on that assumption.

Old 07-26-2024 | 06:55 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Dude, you're right, my bad. I thought I replied to your other one. Woops.

But I wasn't asking specifically about that, even though that's confusing. I was just speaking generally... So do you agree it's just about tire temp itself? That's the thing we are trying to get to?
Uh Cruisers even ridden hard dont really heat tires up enough to really make that a significant thing to worry about. Even me ripping hard as I can through twisties doesn't make my tires hot. I dont need tire warmers either.
I was talking about Pressure and Wear, and that really comes down to PSI, Rebound, and how you ride.
If people are getting flat bands in the center of their tread, it's because they do too much straight line. If they ride heavy twisties, they may see wear patterns like mine.
Tempture wise, the only thing I notice is that after riding twisties and the tire is a bit warm you can feel the sticky of the shoulder tread. But That's about it for temps.
That and PSI numbers are for Cold tires.

The following 3 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
foxtrapper (07-26-2024), Powermankw (07-26-2024), StevieMac! (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024 | 09:38 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Well... For 68F. And then correct for what ever ambient is from there.

But ya, it's not a track bike and I'm not doing laps. I understand airing up tires for a trip, but in general I like as soft as I can go without degrading the tire. I the proper range I'm willing to sacrifice miles, just need to figure out where that is.

Old 07-26-2024 | 10:00 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Well... For 68F. And then correct for what ever ambient is from there.

But ya, it's not a track bike and I'm not doing laps. I understand airing up tires for a trip, but in general I like as soft as I can go without degrading the tire. I the proper range I'm willing to sacrifice miles, just need to figure out where that is.
My PSI is just at the current ambient temp.
Also my PSI ratings are quite a bit different from the stock and suggested because of the tires I'm running. So far 36 cold is quite good.

What I'm really curious is the mileage I will get out of my rear tire.
This Tourance NEXT 2 front looks like it will easily outlast the front. It's quite a nice tire.
The rear... with the way I'm riding it looks like I'm going to eat it up.
Debating about trying the cobra chrome 260 on the rear since it might be stickier throughout it's tread sections.
The ME888 is definitely going to be too hard of a compound to run for riding hard. It sucks there's only 3 options for a 260 rear.
I don't really wanna go back to a 240.

The following users liked this post:
Powermankw (07-26-2024)
Old 07-27-2024 | 02:12 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

On the cruisetecs I'm at 28F and 34R @70. That gives me right around 10%/20% pretty consistently. Front turns sharp, it's not mushy, nor is braking. I started at 32/40 so where I'm at isn't drastically different.

I still have my old tires, and after looking, my rebound was a little fast in front and a little slow rear. Not bad. I sort of have thought front and rear could be balanced a bit better. So I looked at suspension again and made some tweaks on preload and rebound. I'll go for a ride this weekend and just enjoy my bike. We'll see.

Old 07-27-2024 | 10:21 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Oh ya.. I'm in some riding bliss right now. Goldilocks land. I didn't think things were off. It was really close, but perfect now. Tightened up the front a smidge, and lossened up the rear... Much better balance.

And the tires, I did start at recommended pressure so I know where I'm at and I don't need recommended. They feel very good and plenty of confidence. Pretty stoked. Going to the mountains tomorrow.

Old 07-28-2024 | 05:05 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
My PSI is just at the current ambient temp.
Also my PSI ratings are quite a bit different from the stock and suggested because of the tires I'm running. So far 36 cold is quite good.

What I'm really curious is the mileage I will get out of my rear tire.
This Tourance NEXT 2 front looks like it will easily outlast the front. It's quite a nice tire.
The rear... with the way I'm riding it looks like I'm going to eat it up.
Debating about trying the cobra chrome 260 on the rear since it might be stickier throughout it's tread sections.
The ME888 is definitely going to be too hard of a compound to run for riding hard. It sucks there's only 3 options for a 260 rear.
I don't really wanna go back to a 240.
So you have a fat boy, but you went fatter... Why? What's it do for you? I'm happy with mine. It's good for what I do. I was trying to push today... I need to get with a friend. I'm not even using what I have. But they feel great.

Old 07-28-2024 | 09:20 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

So you have a fat boy, but you went fatter... Why? What's it do for you? I'm happy with mine. It's good for what I do. I was trying to push today... I need to get with a friend. I'm not even using what I have. But they feel great.
I didnt really go "Wider" a 150/70 is more narrow but on a 160 rim a 150/70ZR18 is roughly the same profile and shape as a 160/60ZR18. It's just .33 to .4 inch greater diameter.
On the rear, 260 tires do something rather interesting on a 240 rim.
A 260 tire is taller, but because it's being put on a 240 rim, it squeezes down to roughly 245, but with more aggressive profile.
So I didn't really go wider. Everything is pretty close to spec.
260 rear is one of the, if not the, best performance upgrade for an M8 Fat Boy because it adds so much nimbleness to the bike.
260 is also a heavier designed tire so you can run lower tire pressures.

It's a very good tire setup for these bikes. They add a lot of nimbleness to the bike. ZR18 rear ADV tires are also the only tires that can be fit to a Fat Boy 114 that is rated about 149mph. ZR tires are rated to 168mph.

Old 07-28-2024 | 10:12 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I didnt really go "Wider" a 150/70 is more narrow but on a 160 rim a 150/70ZR18 is roughly the same profile and shape as a 160/60ZR18. It's just .33 to .4 inch greater diameter.
On the rear, 260 tires do something rather interesting on a 240 rim.
A 260 tire is taller, but because it's being put on a 240 rim, it squeezes down to roughly 245, but with more aggressive profile.
So I didn't really go wider. Everything is pretty close to spec.
260 rear is one of the, if not the, best performance upgrade for an M8 Fat Boy because it adds so much nimbleness to the bike.
260 is also a heavier designed tire so you can run lower tire pressures.

It's a very good tire setup for these bikes. They add a lot of nimbleness to the bike. ZR18 rear ADV tires are also the only tires that can be fit to a Fat Boy 114 that is rated about 149mph. ZR tires are rated to 168mph.
Oh, I knew there was a reason, I just couldn't think of it. That's really cool. Very interesting. Next set I'll have to look into other options like that to see if there are any other improvements to be had for free... So to speak. I know there are even more aggressive tires than the cruistecs, but for what I do... Including harder riding... I can't see needing more. Hell, if that day comes, I might just have to pick up a used naked I said I shouldn't get. But I do want the most out of what I have, and so far I am loving the **** out of it.

Old 07-29-2024 | 12:26 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Oh, I knew there was a reason, I just couldn't think of it. That's really cool. Very interesting. Next set I'll have to look into other options like that to see if there are any other improvements to be had for free... So to speak. I know there are even more aggressive tires than the cruistecs, but for what I do... Including harder riding... I can't see needing more. Hell, if that day comes, I might just have to pick up a used naked I said I shouldn't get. But I do want the most out of what I have, and so far I am loving the **** out of it.
The most aggressive 260 tire is the CruiseTec i think.
I havent tried a Cobra Chrome 260 and Im not sure I ever will unless like someone can show me that the Cobra is stickier.
I am definitely getting some rear tire sliding during heavy breaking into corners and I dont know if it's the Cruisetec, braking too abruptly, or the profile, or something like that but I'm willing to bet it's that the cruisetec has a pretty wear resistant middle tread.
We'll see. Backing it in looks cool as ****.

Quick Reply: Metzler Cruisetec Radials