2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Metzler Cruisetec Radials

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024 | 07:26 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

So instead of making a new one.... So my OEM scortchers had 6300 miles and down to 2/32 R and 3/32 F in the center. I decided to put some cruistecs on.... Holy ****.

I read they are tippy, they want to turn in... I don't think that's it... It feels like I lost a good 5 degrees of rake. So far in my time on the LRST, I have felt like I have to muscle turns. It's a LRST but it's still big and heavy... But now it actually feels agile, nimble. Total trip. Can't wait to get them broke in and see how good the grip is.

So what tire pressure are you guys running? I'm not weighted down and I'm only 190. I started at normal pressure for now from the manual, but just curious if anyone is similar.

The following users liked this post:
luckiestiff (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024 | 07:32 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by Powermankw
So instead of making a new one.... So my OEM scortchers had 6300 miles and down to 2/32 R and 3/32 F in the center. I decided to put some cruistecs on.... Holy ****.

I read they are tippy, they want to turn in... I don't think that's it... It feels like I lost a good 5 degrees of rake. So far in my time on the LRST, I have felt like I have to muscle turns. It's a LRST but it's still big and heavy... But now it actually feels agile, nimble. Total trip. Can't wait to get them broke in and see how good the grip is.

So what tire pressure are you guys running? I'm not weighted down and I'm only 190. I started at normal pressure for now from the manual, but just curious if anyone is similar.
I have a Cruisetec 260 rear that I am currently running at 36psi. The 260 on a 240 rear is stiffer so it needs less air. Using the same 42psi as my 240 tires was too overinflated, and grip was poor.
I'm running 36F/36R for riding fast on twisty roads, and 38/38 for commuting/travel.

Old 06-27-2024 | 08:01 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain

"Can't wait to get them broke in and see how good the grip is."
Powermankw, hope you give an update, I'm interested in them also.

Old 06-27-2024 | 09:51 AM
Mr.Rabies
Cruiser
Veteran: Army

plz forgive my high-jack. its just a quick question that is related. does anyone find the oem H-D tires a tad slippery? thats all

Old 06-27-2024 | 11:47 AM
Old Sport
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

I'm running 888s (2nd set). Originally moved to Metzler from Dunlop AEs based on a buddy's experience and pandemic supply issues. I like them better (and yes, @Mr.Rabies I find the stock OEM tire is inferior in more than a few ways).

I ran Metzler's on my sport bikes in the 80's. I've thought about giving the Cruisetecs a try so I'm following-along here, but really satisfied with the 888s at the moment.

Goose_NC (06-30-2024)
Old 06-27-2024 | 12:05 PM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain

I put a set of Cruisetecs on my '14 Heritage last year. Before that just ran stock Dunlops. Took me a bit to get use to them. Once I did I started liking liking em. They hold a steady line in long sweepers. Feel a little softer in the ride. I'll buy em again

Old 06-27-2024 | 12:09 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

Originally Posted by Mr.Rabies
plz forgive my high-jack. its just a quick question that is related. does anyone find the oem H-D tires a tad slippery? thats all
My stock tires were old so I can't really say much, but they did suck with grip for as many miles as I put on them.

Mr.Rabies (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024 | 02:49 PM
TomBe
Cruiser

Originally Posted by natural gasser
Let us know how you like them, Thanks in advance.
Although I do not have Metzeler Cruisetec, I run Avon Cobra Chrome both radials on my Fat Bob. During the deceleration from 75km/h to 60km/h when I take my hands off the handlebars, they will start to shake/wobble like crazy. No problem in other speeds. The handling is extremely confident and inspiring. But I am switching the front tire from the 150/80R16 to the diagonal (indicated by the dash ) 150/80-16 hoping it will solve the problem with shaking.

Old 06-27-2024 | 04:37 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

So I try to look at tire pressure and pressure rise... But I can't ever get a good pressure rise in front. Today, 38R, 35F. Ride up the pass and measure down the pass... Front stayed at 35. Rear gained 4 psi.

Obviously let air out... But I did that with my last ones and got lower than I was comfortable with. I'll drop a couple pounds and see...

But big question... How do you heat your tires up. Just riding, with some softness should add heat. Highway miles. It's not like you have to do a track session right? I can obviously wear my brakes down, but that seems artificial. So how do you do it, or what do you think is enough to know you have the right pressure?

Old 06-27-2024 | 04:43 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Mine get inflated to 38 front and rear as needed. For heating up I tend to just do some NASCAR weaving down my street then easy for the first 2 miles, then all go like a bat out of hell. The Cruistecs transformed my Fat Bob into a Canyon Bob. I cannot wait to get them on my LRST ar first service.

Powermankw (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Metzler Cruisetec Radials