2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 01:10 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

these are not great angles, but the first is the forward with bassani exhaust...notice how the meat of the lever is to the right of the peg mounting point..
the second pic is stock head pipes,and mids...the meat of the lever is fully with in the peg foot rest area. this is probably were most have complaints about the air intake being in the way

Old 03-27-2023, 03:05 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
WOW Those look like a piece of art! Keep us posted on how they work out. They look great and while they are pricey, one cannot put a price on riding without pain. (Ok maybe there is a price)
The only downside with these is that the clevis attachment for the footpeg is not standard HD Softail fitment. This means I can't use my Crossthread mini-boards (which I love) with them and will have to go back to typical "peg" foot controls. The ones that come with the forward controls do look pretty damn good and would probably be $200 alone from HD, but I do like a little bigger platform for my feet. Never full size footboards, but the mini type suit me just fine.

But, talking with Wunderkind today, they say that in a couple of months they will release a new version that will accept the standard HD type pegs/mini boards.They are "98%" certain, that this will just be a different part that actually mates with the footpeg/board clevis thingy. Looking at the part list in the fitting instructions, that makes total sense.

We will see. Worst case, I go back to pegs. Best case, I get my mini boards back in a few months. Either way, I will have plenty time to get it all dialled in and I think a more stretched out leg position will work fine on this bike.

The following users liked this post:
JakeC7R (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 03:35 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by slee93
The switch to forward controls seems counterintuitive to the whole platform. It's meant to be ridden HARD. These bikes need a tall rear shock and a sticky tire. To each their own!
Open question for anyone, does anyone have the data to show that forwards affect the bikes lean angle, ability to grip/accelerate out of corners, etc? With a bit of counter-steering I've not noticed any difference in the ability to flick the bike around.

I hear this all the time regarding the LRS, and the only difference I've noticed between the LRS with mids vs forwards is that I can barely shift the bike with mids and I can't ride longer than 15-20 minutes before I get knee pain. I'd think the tires and suspension would be the biggest limiting factor on how well these things perform out of the box.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, and for me personally, if I ever missed the ability to really lean this bike I'd just get another Ducati to rip around on

Last edited by RGS88; 03-27-2023 at 03:36 PM.
stormin08 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 03:42 PM
NZLowrider
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
Open question for anyone, does anyone have the data to show that forwards affect the bikes lean angle, ability to grip/accelerate out of corners, etc? With a bit of counter-steering I've not noticed any difference in the ability to flick the bike around.

I hear this all the time regarding the LRS, and the only difference I've noticed between the LRS with mids vs forwards is that I can barely shift the bike with mids and I can't ride longer than 15-20 minutes before I get knee pain. I'd think the tires and suspension would be the biggest limiting factor on how well these things perform out of the box.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, and for me personally, if I ever missed the ability to really lean this bike I'd just get another Ducati to rip around on
I'm on my second LRS and i had the forwards fitted when the bike was new, my legs definitely couldn't handle the high mounted mids, the forwards do touch down 1st (which i don't mind) it's a Harley you have so many options

Last edited by NZLowrider; 03-27-2023 at 04:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NZLowrider:
Durham man (03-27-2023), natural gasser (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:39 PM
slee93
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Took my 22 LRS for a a ride yesterday with the RWD RS-1 monoshock. Still dragging pegs everywhere. Wish there was something an inch or two taller….pretty sure it would require an aftermarket swingarm

Old 03-27-2023, 06:11 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,201 Likes on 3,377 Posts

Well, I want one!

The following 2 users liked this post by NorthWestern:
Durham man (03-28-2023), natural gasser (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:28 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by 03fattyaz
The sales lady rode on the back!? Or her own bike?
Her own bike, or the dealer's bike I mean, a Street Bob.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:38 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88

I think forwards for sure effect the physical lean angle as the pegs on forwards would hit before pegs on mids. Now whether that has any effect on grip/accelerate out of the corners I would say no personally. Sure the guys riding the Bagger Nation Bikes might be able to lean over mids more that forwards, but for us mere mortals, I would say its a toss up and more about comfort. I can lean my Fat Bob over so far my heals ride on the ground. I cannot get my pegs to scrap on the LRST regardless of how far I can lean. I think both bikes are very flickable but I believe that has more to do with fork rake angle then peg location. I will say the front end of the LRST tips into corners much easier than my Fat Bob but that is due to the tire not pegs.

RGS88 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:22 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,724 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by stormin08

What fairing is that and have you got a front-on image?

I'm not that keen on the stock headlight cowl, but I don't like big fairings and screens either. I've toyed with the idea of getting rid of the OE cowl altogether, though it might leave a lot of wiring and plumbing on display. Yours looks like a more pleasing compromise.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:45 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

this is the HARLEY QUARTER FAIRING, perfect blend of JUST RIGHT & Not to much

Gimlet (03-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!