2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 06:25 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,725 Likes on 890 Posts

How's the finish quality on the latest Fat Bobs? The first ones had a reputation for cosmetic corner cutting.
I must admit, I like them as well. Didn't care for the looks at first but it's grown on me since. The fat tyres put me off a bot though. Doesn't it restrict tyre options?

Old 03-27-2023, 06:43 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I agree with you, a stock bike should always be optimized to match your tastes and riding style, but in my case with the LRST, the list of modifications to make is too big and too expensive for me to really like it as I wrote above.
I'm still convinced that they should have taken the Sport Glide as a base, which would have been much better aesthetically with the lower saddlebags, the plate under the fender and an original 2 into 1.
As for the name, it doesn't really matter, everyone knows that Harleys are not sport bikes, but the name "low rider" doesn't make sense in this case, high suspensions, high saddlebags, it doesn't mean anything, at the end of the day they should have called it "high rider".
Too bad for me this bike is a failure.
With the Heritage, I hardly modified anything to fit my tastes.
Good comments. Regarding an H-D as a sport bike, sure H-D does not make a Panigale or a Ninja. But a 45-degree V-Twin with a smaller fairing, 117, and moderate sport riding position would have been fun. A combination of H-Ds style and sound with a more aggressive riding position. Kawasaki and Suzuki recently delivered new moderately aggressive sport tourers. Heck, Duc's Supersport makes only 10 more HP and a boatload less torque than a stock 117 Low Rider. I thought the FXLRS(T) would be that bike. Regardless, the new Low Rider is a beautiful bike to build from. Even though as you suggest, the name choice was poor.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:11 AM
Kritz
Novice
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Odd how the ST sells so well yet the Sport Glide didn't. I'd like to ride one to see how they compare. I liked the looks but was on a Vrod at the time. I really liked the wheels on the SG. Wish my ST had them.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:12 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by tngarren
Good comments. Regarding an H-D as a sport bike, sure H-D does not make a Panigale or a Ninja. But a 45-degree V-Twin with a smaller fairing, 117, and moderate sport riding position would have been fun. A combination of H-Ds style and sound with a more aggressive riding position. Kawasaki and Suzuki recently delivered new moderately aggressive sport tourers. Heck, Duc's Supersport makes only 10 more HP and a boatload less torque than a stock 117 Low Rider. I thought the FXLRS(T) would be that bike. Regardless, the new Low Rider is a beautiful bike to build from. Even though as you suggest, the name choice was poor.
I live near some fabulous twistie moorland roads that are a mecca for bikers. In the summer it's like the TT outside my house. I was riding one of the most popular sections last summer on my LRS when a gaggle of riders on Jap and Euro nakeds came up behind me. Thought I'd have some fun with them and wound it on. They couldn't get past me because there weren't enough straights and I was holding them off coming out of the bends. Maybe they weren't the fastest of riders, and a well-ridden sports bike would have had me beat, but when we all pulled into the same meet-up point and I could see them giving my bike a double take and talking amongst themselves. They were clearly saying, hell did we just get hustled by a Harley. Good fun. The LRS surprised me tbf as I hadn't had it long. Use the torque, ride smooth and stay off the brakes and it can really cut it. And I don't like the scorcher tyres. If I had tyres that suited me better (ie more feedback) I'd have been going a lot harder.

I've had similar things happen a few times on the way to popular meet-ups. I'm bimbling along and a bunch of riders come up behind me, see they've got a Harley in front and think they'll show me how it's done. They often get a surprise. And I haven't even started modding it yet.

Last edited by Gimlet; 03-27-2023 at 07:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Gimlet:
Kritz (03-27-2023), natural gasser (03-27-2023), NZLowrider (03-27-2023), tngarren (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 07:15 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kritz
Odd how the ST sells so well yet the Sport Glide didn't. I'd like to ride one to see how they compare. I liked the looks but was on a Vrod at the time. I really liked the wheels on the SG. Wish my ST had them.
117 engine.
You're right about the SG wheels. I love them too. Only a single front disc though.

The following users liked this post:
Kritz (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:59 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

6.5 is plenty high for me.
Originally Posted by Jehu
Question regarding the 6.5" pull back risers: Did you have to use factory extension kit(s) for the wires or were you able to install the risers with stock factory cables, wires, hoses, etc,?

Than you in advance for your replies.

I should be getting my new LRS/T in a couple weeks and while I do not expect the seat/pegs arrangement to be different that my current Low Rider, I suspect that pull back risers will be in my (immediate) future.
congrats on your purchase! My bike is a 2020 FXLRS, the st is different with the gauge. It should be similar as I have read some st owners did the mode with stock wire and cable. I did have to reroute my clutch cable to the outside of trees. You can also get some slack out of your blinkers. Again check with st owners.

Jehu (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:16 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Question regarding the 6.5" pull back risers: Did you have to use factory extension kit(s) for the wires or were you able to install the risers with stock factory cables, wires, hoses, etc,?

Than you in advance for your replies.

I should be getting my new LRS/T in a couple weeks and while I do not expect the seat/pegs arrangement to be different that my current Low Rider, I suspect that pull back risers will be in my (immediate) future.
Hello and congrats on the new bike! I can confirm that with the Thrashin 6.5 inch risers, you can indeed use the stock wires and cables.

The following 3 users liked this post by JakeC7R:
Astro Glide (04-12-2023), Calif Fat Bob (03-27-2023), Jehu (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 09:39 AM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
I live near some fabulous twistie moorland roads that are a mecca for bikers. In the summer it's like the TT outside my house. I was riding one of the most popular sections last summer on my LRS when a gaggle of riders on Jap and Euro nakeds came up behind me. Thought I'd have some fun with them and wound it on. They couldn't get past me because there weren't enough straights and I was holding them off coming out of the bends. Maybe they weren't the fastest of riders, and a well-ridden sports bike would have had me beat, but when we all pulled into the same meet-up point and I could see them giving my bike a double take and talking amongst themselves. They were clearly saying, hell did we just get hustled by a Harley. Good fun. The LRS surprised me tbf as I hadn't had it long. Use the torque, ride smooth and stay off the brakes and it can really cut it. And I don't like the scorcher tyres. If I had tyres that suited me better (ie more feedback) I'd have been going a lot harder.

I've had similar things happen a few times on the way to popular meet-ups. I'm bimbling along and a bunch of riders come up behind me, see they've got a Harley in front and think they'll show me how it's done. They often get a surprise. And I haven't even started modding it yet.
I too live where the roads are mostly curves and hills, so mid pegs on the Lowrider S and ST are preferred. The mid position (BTW, 6'-2" tall, 34" inseam) gives my back the support I need. Plus with the addition of highway pegs touring is enjoyable as well. HD makes many models and accessories to accommodate most everyone. Why I don't second guess or criticize others choices in what they purchase. Pics of my modified Lowrider S many miles from home.

Last edited by natural gasser; 03-27-2023 at 09:45 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by natural gasser:
Astro Glide (04-12-2023), Durham man (03-27-2023), Gimlet (03-27-2023), JakeC7R (03-27-2023), Kritz (03-27-2023), M Oclaf (03-27-2023), NZLowrider (03-27-2023), RichM752 (03-29-2023), stratplexi (05-28-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:08 AM
JINKSTER
Road Master
Received 881 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
My thoughts exactly. I bought the LRS for it's performance and handling. While both can be enhanced substantially, the LRS/ST is a very good starting point while complying with the interfering bullshit of the politicians. But I also think the Sport Glide would have made a better platform. I'm not struck on the looks of the LRS, nor the riding position. The SG is much prettier, more practical and a lot more comfortable.
I do agree with @JINKSTER who said that you need to take weight on your feet for sporty riding, but the SG position isn't so lazy that you can't do that, and if you're tall, the low seat height on the LRS/ST mitigates against this anyway, despite the mid controls, because your knees are so bent and so high relative to your backside that it hampers the use of your thigh muscles. Whenever I've ridden a SG I've always found myself naturally weighting the footpegs in bends and the bike responded to that input willingly.
My ideal bike would have been a chromeless, fully blacked out Sport Glide with the LRS's 117 engine. I'd have bought that like a shot.
I as well like the SG and gave it serious consideration because even at 64 I still own a highly active adrenal gland (LOL) but I was going more for long range comfort and that said?…the SG still haunts me.

Gimlet (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:53 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Than you in advance for your replies. I should be getting my new LRS/T in a couple weeks and while I do not expect the seat/pegs arrangement to be different that my current Low Rider, I suspect that pull back risers will be in my (immediate) future.
I can also confirm no changes to any wiring, clutch cable, or brake line. I did have to loosen the banjo fitting on the front brake line to rotate it just a bit for more slack. It works but at it's limit for length. I will have the dealer install a +1" on the first service.

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!