2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 02:32 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,725 Likes on 890 Posts

Yes I know the 790/890 and new 990 Superduke are parallel twins. I was just comparing them to the old LC8 990 V-twins and to me the parallels, though I can't fault their performance, don't have the old LC8 spirit to them. Haven't ridden the 790/890 advs but I have the 790 and 890 Dukes and other than the surgical handling they didn't feel like KTMs as I know them. Anyone who's never had a 990/950 V-twin wouldn't be bothered that they're parallels. But when you've cut your teeth on the old mad V's nothing else is quite the same.
They're also made in China which I have problems with on all sorts of levels.

Saying that, the parallel twin is probably a better option for most people off-road because the power delivery is more nuanced. The throttle on the 990 V-twins was notoriously an on/off switch. On the road that could be fun. On the dirt it could be a handful.

Funny you mention the screen buffeting on the 790 yet you have the stock screen on your 1190. I found my stock 1190 terrible for turbulence. Extremely noisy and constantly battering my head. Oddly, it smoothed out at around 100 mph... But, ahem, you can't ride like that everywhere - though no one's told the 1190...
I fitted the 1290 SAS Adv screen and headlight mask to my 1190 and for me it works a treat. There is air but it's clean and not noisy.

The old 990 SMT screen was even worse. I nearly gave up on mine and sold it. Plus the trouble I had getting the suspension set up correctly and finding tyres that didn't make the bars wag at speed. I tried every trick in the book, including drilling a 2" hole through the base of the screen to let some air through and neutralise the vortex around the rider's head, but nothing worked. Above 60 mph it was like being in a boxing ring.
I found a winning formula with a UK-made Palmer adjustable screen and thereafter it was brilliant. They now make a kit for the latest parallel twin KTM Adv's. Not the cheapest option but they just work big-time.
https://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/pro...-890-adventure

Anyway, apologies for the derailment with all this KTM-ery. Back to the ST.

Last edited by Gimlet; 07-10-2024 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:49 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet

Funny you mention the screen buffeting on the 790 yet you have the stock screen on your 1190. I found my stock 1190 terrible for turbulence. Extremely noisy and constantly battering my head. Oddly, it smoothed out at around 100 mph... But, ahem, you can't ride like that everywhere - though no one's told the 1190...
I fitted the 1290 SAS Adv screen and headlight mask to my 1190 and for me it works a treat. There is air but it's clean and not noisy.

Anyway, apologies for the derailment with all this KTM-ery. Back to the ST.
Yeah that pic was taken with my stock windscreen on the 1190. I've since installed a Puig tall which is much better. The 1190 just seems to better above 70mph then the 790 did even with my Madstad screen on the 790. the newer front ends on the 790/890 Adventures are supposed to be better.

Funny but I'm now looking at the KTM 890 SMT which has a short stubby windscreen. Bike is getting great reviews and much more geared to the type of "Adventure Dirtless Riding" I do. LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Gimlet (07-11-2024), tngarren (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:07 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,646 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Can always mount your V-twin sideways. Guzzi is a fun fetish. I’ve already got one.

Id planned on going the V85 route myself, it was just too tall for me.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:19 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I'm now looking at the KTM 890 SMT which has a short stubby windscreen.
Same here. Disappointed that KTM did not put the 890R tuned engine on it though. Guess I will wait.

Calif Fat Bob (07-10-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 01:15 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,725 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Same here. Disappointed that KTM did not put the 890R tuned engine on it though. Guess I will wait.
Yes. The old 990 SMT was the same spec as the SMR but with a bigger screen, comfy(ish) seat, a bigger tank and optional panniers. Ideal for Cali Fat Bob's "dirtless adventure riding" I took mine up mild forest gravel trails with sports tyres on it no problem at all.
It was the 990 Adv that was detuned for dirt riding and had less fierce brakes. The old SMT also had the SMR's top-end WP suspension. Don't know whether the new SMT has the 890R's chassis upgrades.

I bought my old SMT as a budget adventure-lite adventure bike lookalike for touring. At the time (2014/15) the 1190 Adv was only a year in production and used ones were big bucks. I bought a 2011 SMT for half the price. But it became apparent it wasn't an adventure bike, it was an overgrown supermoto, a sort of adult hooligan that refused to grow up, and it was a bit "busy" for touring as it wanted to be thrashed all the time. It was billed as the SuperMoto(Touring), but it wasn't a tourer. It was very much a giant supermoto with more fuel range and wanted to be ridden like one.
The new SMT will probably be better in this respect than the old one, which is maybe why they haven't put the R engine in it.

Calif Fat Bob (07-11-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 06:12 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The ST sucks, as sold. That's the bottom line.

The following 2 users liked this post by tmac00333:
Paintslinger16 (07-13-2024), tngarren (07-13-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 03:10 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

What’s that saying about people who live in glass houses, oh yeah I remember now. They suck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
luckiestiff (07-14-2024), M Oclaf (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 09:09 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Yet, it is the number one selling Softail. The market has really painted a different picture than some of you have. Perhaps a Softail is not the right platform for some of you that are expecting it to be as comfortable as a Road Couch. They do offer the Heritage for those who do not want the Sport side of Softail touring/cruising and are on the fragile side or older and prefer the lazy side of cruising.

It just seems a little odd that you ride a bike with Sport in the name and then seem perplexed that it’s sporty. Not sure what you were expecting as it is plain to see all the design elements…rake, trail, mids, brakes, suspension, bars, seat 117, etc. Just because it has bags and a small fairing doesn’t make it a Road Couch.

It would be like me bitching about my 2023 Breakout riding experience. Its a dragster in style with forwards, long rake, wide rear tire, drag bars and minimal seat. Why whine and bitch about it not being a Heritage or as comfortable as my Road King. Or whine about guys on Low Riders that would leave me behind carving canyons? I knew what I was buying when I wrote the check.

Last edited by stratplexi; 07-14-2024 at 09:21 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by stratplexi:
ACE_Moto88 (07-16-2024), Durham man (07-14-2024), luckiestiff (07-14-2024), wlwoodruff (07-16-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 09:45 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Yet, it is the number one selling Softail. The market has really painted a different picture than some of you have. Perhaps a Softail is not the right platform for some of you that are expecting it to be as comfortable as a Road Couch. They do offer the Heritage for those who do not want the Sport side of Softail touring/cruising and are on the fragile side or older and prefer the lazy side of cruising.

It just seems a little odd that you ride a bike with Sport in the name and then seem perplexed that it’s sporty. Not sure what you were expecting as it is plain to see all the design elements…rake, trail, mids, brakes, suspension, bars, seat 117, etc. Just because it has bags and a small fairing doesn’t make it a Road Couch.

It would be like me bitching about my 2023 Breakout riding experience. Its a dragster in style with forwards, long rake, wide rear tire, drag bars and minimal seat. Why whine and bitch about it not being a Heritage or as comfortable as my Road King. Or whine about guys on Low Riders that would leave me behind carving canyons? I knew what I was buying when I wrote the check.
I think you're misconstruing the meaning of words. There's a big difference between someone "bitching" and "whining" and someone offering opinion. Now, if I had paid hard-earned money on an ST and then found out I didn't like the riding position, mid-controls, bars, etc., then started "bitching" and "whining" about it, that would be different.

In other words, why are you "bitching" and "whining" about guys who are simply saying they don't like the bike? Happens every day here. Do you hear me "bitching" and "whining" about guys who criticize the Heritage? No, you don't, because your opinions are not that important to me. I read them, consider them, and move along.

You ST owners are the most sensitive HD owners I've ever come across, at least those of you who get all bent out of shape here. I suspect most ST owners don't give a hoot, like us Heritage owners.

Last edited by tmac00333; 07-14-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2024, 11:37 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
I think you're misconstruing the meaning of words. There's a big difference between someone "bitching" and "whining" and someone offering opinion. Now, if I had paid hard-earned money on an ST and then found out I didn't like the riding position, mid-controls, bars, etc., then started "bitching" and "whining" about it, that would be different.

In other words, why are you "bitching" and "whining" about guys who are simply saying they don't like the bike? Happens every day here. Do you hear me "bitching" and "whining" about guys who criticize the Heritage? No, you don't, because your opinions are not that important to me. I read them, consider them, and move along.

You ST owners are the most sensitive HD owners I've ever come across, at least those of you who get all bent out of shape here. I suspect most ST owners don't give a hoot, like us Heritage owners.
I don’t own an ST nor have a dog in the fight. But clearly, when you say “…the ST sucks” your simply flaming owners as there is nothing constructive or beneficial. You don’t like the ST or the S…fine. But you don’t need to sh@t on everyone who loves and enjoys the bike with inflammatory posts. This is a community of enthusiasts.

Last edited by stratplexi; 07-14-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Durham man (07-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!