2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 02:53 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

A gap is filled (well almost, but I will explain why later) Saturday passing by the local dealership, I was finally able to test ride the Low Rider ST, two years after having ordered this model at the start of 2022, without having seen or tried it of course because it had not yet arrived in France at that time.
Unfortunately I canceled the order after a while because of a much too long delivery time (9 months) and also because I was not very sure of my choice at the time, despite the appeal of this concept which appealed to me.
But since last summer and 20,000 kms that I have been riding a 114 Low Rider S, I have really taken a liking to this platform and I must say that the more protective fairing as well as the rigid saddlebags which correspond well to my use attract me more in addition and I also wanted to realize the difference between the 114 and the 117.
So at the beginning there were things that I didn't like about this model and which I have often talked about in the dedicated topics, like the bags that I find set too high, the mini speedometer too minimalist for my taste, the colors a little too sad between the black with all this additional bodywork which accentuates its dark side and the "Gunship gray" which I find too dull among others and I was not convinced.
But since we saw this model circulating I have become accustomed to these "faults" and I think that the other advantages of this bike more than compensate for these small inconveniences, in addition in its "White Sand Pearl" dress marketed in 2023 I finds it very beautiful, the contrast between the light bodywork and the dark fittings accentuates its shapes and highlights the whole.

Let's move on to the test itself, and I come back to the almost filled gap that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, in fact the goal was not only to take the measure of the fairing and the change that it implies in the behavior of the bike and the difference in feeling that one can experience when riding, but also the difference in engine between the 114 and the 117. I was told that the 117, although more powerful and more torquey, was more "linear" than the 114 that I like so much on my Low Rider S for its slightly raw and rough side and I really wanted to know if I was going to find sensations that I would like.
Bad luck, the test bike was equipped with a stage 2 with a "power" cam from Screamin Eagle which favors use in revs and suddenly the comparison with my stock 114 was no longer valid at all , and as a result I find this engine very hollow in the 2000/2500 rpm range, very little engine braking, less torque, few sensations and I was left wanting more, for me who almost never exceeds 3500 rpm, I I don't see the use of such a configuration and I would have preferred to test a stock model, moreover the 2 in 1 Jekyll does not suit me at all, in open mode, it is much too strong for me, closed It's of course useless and in automatic mode it opens and closes at certain speeds and I find it very destabilizing, I much prefer the sound of my Twin Slash.
Of course as soon as you open above 3500 revs it starts to push well, but it's not necessarily my favorite way to ride, I prefer to ride on the fat of the torque at low revs and so I don't really know how does this engine behave in stock version.
Otherwise I was surprised by the fairing which is mounted very forward and which gives the impression of riding on a much bigger bike and which makes the front more clumsy it seems to me, the steering also engages a little more in the turns and the bike tends to "fall" towards the inside, the seller assured me that this was due to the fork being higher than on the Low Rider S, which I am not convinced of, perhaps it is due to the different tire fitment and also the greater weight on the front, but you quickly get used to this kind of behavior and it's not annoying in the end. The protection is much better in any case, especially as regards the air rising on the side of the tank and the knees are also more sheltered, however for what concerns me, a higher windshield would be needed, but ultimately I like this fairing both aesthetically and functionally and even if I also like the compact side of my Road Warrior which gives it a sportier and livelier appearance from the front, I am still seduced by the serenity it provides and which would be very suitable for my more "tourist" use.
The Saddlebags, nothing to complain about, I had the same ones on the Sport Glide and I found them very good both in terms of carrying capacity, practicality and ease of dismantling as well as for the visual side which is integrated well in line with the general line due to their finesse and their slender side.
In short, I like this bike a lot, but I would still have to be able to try a stock version to really see if it's worth the effort.
Otherwise there is the "Tobacco fade" version released this year and which I was lucky enough to see at an other dealership a few days before, I didn't really like it in the photo, but in real life it's really splendid like the price elsewhere...

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Al 59:
Hawg Runner (05-29-2024), NZLowrider (05-27-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 03:09 PM
parn0able
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a similar experience. I had a Lowrider S and was stoked when the ST came out. Last May I was looking to trade in my S for an ST but was also considering a Road Glide. I decided to go in and test ride both back to back. I was underwhelmed with the ST. The fairing felt too low, it just didn't seem right, and the bags being uneven just irked me. I preferred my S with a T Sport and Thrashin Bags over the ST model. I still wanted a more comfortable highway bike and the RG, while definitely more sluggish than my LRS, covered everything. Fairing felt right, audio/navigation that was android auto compatible, full size bags etc. Decided to buy the Road Glide and look at picking up a late model Dyna down the road. I definitely miss my FXLRS at times, it was a fun bike, but the RG is just great for my daily riding. I'm about done with making it "mine", this winter I'll be going for a Star 30/30, short 2-1 (yes I know not ideal with the M8 but I love shorty pipes), and a Powervision tuner. After that, this bike is done as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-28-2024, 08:07 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

Regarding your "power cam!" stage 2. I have a FatBob 114, with the power cam, and it definitely doesn't like anything below 2000RPM, above that and way up, it pulls hard. I have the stock exhaust with slip-ons. I think I'll leave it like that for now.

I don't know much about the Jekyll exhaust, but it seems to me with the exhaust dynamics changing all of the time, any tune will be a compromise. Perhaps a change back to stock with maybe some slip-ons, will get you a mellower sound and allow the tune to do it's thing. BTW, do you know what was used for a tuner?

Old 05-29-2024, 03:52 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

@parn0able I like the Road Glide a lot, but Touring bikes are too heavy for me, at my age (nearly 65 years) they become too difficult to maneuver, I ride only solo and the roads in France are more twistier and I don't ride often on highway, so I prefere the Softail chassis more nimble and fun to ride, I also don't care about the infotainment system, I prefer the more minimalist finish of the Low Rider ST...

@harkon my 114 Low Rider S with just a pair of Twin Slash from Vance and quiet baffles gives me more sensations and pulls more than the 117 FXLRST with a stage 2 power cam below 2500 rpm, I have to test ride a stock version because if I purchase one I will live it stock with just a pair of mufflers...

Old 05-29-2024, 05:33 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 344 Likes on 203 Posts

Any rider knows that it’s not a car with adjustable seats, steering wheel and pedals.

I’m super happy with my new 23 S. Had it a bit over a month, 1300 hard mountain miles and nary a hiccup. Doesn’t use a drop of oil the trans and clutch are fantastic. I’ve rolled back the bars a bit and being 5’8” with a 73” wingspan helps with the mids and knee bend.

Reminds me of my roadster when carving the back roads and super comfy getting there.

It’s the CTSV of bikes, super comfy ***-hauling.

The following users liked this post:
CryingJoker (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:26 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I think Harley hit home runs with both the S and ST models. Clearly, the market does too as these are both hot sellers. They are not for everyone and if you are coming from grandpas Heritage or a Road Couch, I can see why you might not appreciate the design characteristics of the S or ST models. The rake, dual disks, inverted forks, high rear suspension, mid controls and 117 engine should make it self-evident, these models are for riders who enjoy spirited riding. Nothing wrong with the Heritage, and I have owned 2 of them, but the design is for relaxed cruising and light touring and those who prefer comfort over performance.

The simple and cost-effective solution for either the S or ST is to put highway pegs on but keep them up so there is plenty of clearance and do not reduce lean angle. Best of both worlds… mids for canyon carving and highway pegs for stretching out on the open road. Most folks add highway pegs anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by stratplexi:
CryingJoker (05-29-2024), luckiestiff (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 08:36 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Great thread. I own an FXLRST and I definitely am not a "wild man" kind of rider. Nonetheless, I appreciate the performance, nimbleness, and highway stability of the FXLRST. I find the fairing to be an incredible benefit. Probably the only shortcoming that the bike has *for me* is that the foot position has one's knees and feet a bit higher than I would prefer; I like the foot position of the Fat Boy and that style of bike a little better. But overall the FXLRST checks most of my boxes and I really like the bike. Being over 60 and not a big guy, the touring bikes are just too big and heavy for my liking. It just gets old messing those big boys around all day. The lighter and nimble nature of the Softail frame has made me a believer in Softails as my preference over the Glides, or even the King. More and bigger is not better.

The following 4 users liked this post by Redlegvzv:
Big Al 59 (05-30-2024), DC2009EGUC (05-29-2024), luckiestiff (05-29-2024), tclhb (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 02:02 PM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
I think Harley hit home runs with both the S and ST models. Clearly, the market does too as these are both hot sellers. They are not for everyone and if you are coming from grandpas Heritage or a Road Couch, I can see why you might not appreciate the design characteristics of the S or ST models. The rake, dual disks, inverted forks, high rear suspension, mid controls and 117 engine should make it self-evident, these models are for riders who enjoy spirited riding. Nothing wrong with the Heritage, and I have owned 2 of them, but the design is for relaxed cruising and light touring and those who prefer comfort over performance.

The simple and cost-effective solution for either the S or ST is to put highway pegs on but keep them up so there is plenty of clearance and do not reduce lean angle. Best of both worlds… mids for canyon carving and highway pegs for stretching out on the open road. Most folks add highway pegs anyway.
EXACTLY!

I always wanted a crotch rocket, then a naked... Those days are long gone. I wanted a big honkin motor in a sport tourer... The ST is a home run. And I am not brand loyal for anything... I looked at everything out there, and nothing had all the boxes the LRST checked.

I just got back from a 1500 mile trip. Yes, the seat/mids are too crunched. But I do want mids. Crash bar is good highway pegs for me. Mini floor boards add plenty of comfort. Even hanging my feet on rear crash pegs are really comfy. Plenty of riding positions. I love my bike so much. I don't want a lazy boy recliner. I don't want a mobil home on 2 wheels. I got exactly what I wanted. It's exactly what it is. It doesn't need to be anything else... There are plenty of other models to choose from out there for those that want something else.

The following 6 users liked this post by Powermankw:
Big Al 59 (05-30-2024), Calif Fat Bob (05-29-2024), CryingJoker (05-29-2024), NZLowrider (05-30-2024), stratplexi (05-29-2024), tclhb (05-29-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:47 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Those mid controls come in really handing when you want to stand on the pegs/mini boards and stretch your legs.

The following users liked this post:
stratplexi (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 07:09 PM
natural gasser
Road Captain
Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts

BigAl59 what pipe is on the white ST? Bike looks good, BTW.

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!