2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 10:47 AM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Exactly why I didn't buy one. One of the salesmen says to me well you'll love it once you get it set up the way you want it. I said maybe, maybe not. But I'm not going to spend thousands just to HOPE I like it after spending all that money.

I get it…..but of the 6-7 different Harleys I’ve owned over many years, I never owned one that fits me or with intent of riding it as stock. They all were modified to fit me comfortably and my aesthetic taste. It’s part of the fun and I can’t leave well enough alone. Just how some of us are wired I guess! Working on them and installing aftermarket parts is all part the fun for me. I’m also not upset by what Dealers are going to charge relative to supply and demand, it’s crazy but people are paying it! I have only owned one new Harley, my current bike, which is an ST and it’s the funnest to ride that I have owned. All the others were used and bought at discount prices.

It's a sickening expense, and my family is cool with it, and after this one, there will be another lol.

The following users liked this post:
NZLowrider (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:58 AM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Yeah, I know it is still a good deal. It just pissed me off that they advertised a smokin' price and then added $1700 of BS fees to it. I'm sure they will sell it. If they had advertised it at $18,700 and then added the taxes and title fees, I wouldn't have flinched.

I just wished they gave us the out the door price from the beginning and it would save us from being pissed off later.

Dealers here in SoCal are the worst bottom feeders pieces of **** and I rather buy from private parties. Give it a year or two for used ones to become available at more affordable prices.

Last edited by Junkyard Dog; 02-29-2024 at 11:01 AM.
wlwoodruff (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 11:19 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Lol
And its used. Does it really take a few hours of work to prep a used bike? Do they have a list of items to justify the 999 prep fee since it is certified?

Doc fees in California are a standard 85 dollars. Title fees I would assume is Registration which is insane but I dont know how Arizona DMV works so no comment here.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:54 AM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Lol
And its used. Does it really take a few hours of work to prep a used bike? Do they have a list of items to justify the 999 prep fee since it is certified?

Doc fees in California are a standard 85 dollars. Title fees I would assume is Registration which is insane but I dont know how Arizona DMV works so no comment here.
It's a 2023 with 2500 miles. An oil change would be nice, but no necessary. Maybe a quick $100 wash and wax to make it pretty. Anything else that needs work should be covered by warranty.
A more honest estimate would show "dealer prep" and "doc fees" as one line item marked: "extra profit." And, BTW, I want Harley and Harley's dealers to make a profit and stay in business, I would just like us all to be honest about the way we do business.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:04 PM
smurf_bob
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Exactly why I didn't buy one. One of the salesmen says to me well you'll love it once you get it set up the way you want it. I said maybe, maybe not. But I'm not going to spend thousands just to HOPE I like it after spending all that money.
The platform is a great starting point, I personally think that you should go find a used Lowrider S with a couple minor mods (handlebars would be the biggest as it’s usually a 1.5k job) and then use the money you would have spent to build it to your liking. I’ve seen the 114 Lowriders selling for less than 16k now and they still have low mileage and no crazy motor work. If you have a bar set up in mind, there is probably one out there with it on and most have pipes on already, that saves you at least 3k right there, plus the lower cost of the bike. A good cam setup (do the plates on the 114) and a rear shock upgrade and get the fairing and saddlebags of your choice, you can have a stage 2 Lowrider all said and done absolutely dialed to your liking for less than 20k. And it’s still cheaper than the ST. You want speakers too? Get the plex pods and again it’s still cheaper.

Dm me if your on the west coast and I can link you up with some good deals out here.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:08 PM
smurf_bob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gimlet
Sounds outrageous. I'm assuming title is what we'd call registration in the UK. Here it's £55 for a first registration of a new vehicle. And what are document fees?
We have to pay annual vehicle excise duty (road tax) but it's under £150. Is it the state imposing these fees, HD themselves or the dealership?
And 1000 bucks for prep?? Pretty sure I didn't pay any workshop fee on mine. Surely the clue is in the name with an "on the road" price. You don't expect to pay extra to have the thing screwed together when they uncrate it. Sounds like you're having your pants pulled down. Don't blame you for walking. Are they trying to tax new bikes off the road?

Edit: just seen it's a used bike. That's even worse. Bandits.
Clearly don’t want to make a sale, I think I know this dealer too, and they need to be moving inventory out since they compete with the largest and most successful dealer in the world only 30 minutes away

Last edited by smurf_bob; 02-29-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:11 PM
smurf_bob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I just wished they gave us the out the door price from the beginning and it would save us from being pissed off later.

Dealers here in SoCal are the worst bottom feeders pieces of **** and I rather buy from private parties. Give it a year or two for used ones to become available at more affordable prices.
The only thing that changes case by case is taxes on these based on your registration location. So if your in VC, and buy a bike in LA county, your price is lower technically.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:17 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Lol

Originally Posted by wlwoodruff
It's a 2023 with 2500 miles. An oil change would be nice, but no necessary. Maybe a quick $100 wash and wax to make it pretty. Anything else that needs work should be covered by warranty.
A more honest estimate would show "dealer prep" and "doc fees" as one line item marked: "extra profit." And, BTW, I want Harley and Harley's dealers to make a profit and stay in business, I would just like us all to be honest about the way we do business.
Arizona has independent title registries as well as the state run ones, so titling is not a problem. I'm sure the dealer can do it all online without going anywhere. I don't know how they justify $400 fore a title fee. As I said, I am not saying it isn't a good price, but if you advertise a price and then add $1700 to it, I have a problem with your honesty.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:58 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog

Hold it right there partner! I'll pit our bottom-feeding, pieces of **** dealers here in Florida against yours any way!

Junkyard Dog (03-01-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 06:00 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 993 Posts

So I have decided to buy a '22 FXLRS and make it an ST. I have located one for $15K with less than 600 miles on it. I have a second one for $15K as back up with just over 100 miles on it. The first one is closer, so less trucking fee. I already have the fairing and the mount. I was going to put them on my Sport Glide, but this will be easier and I like that the fairing on the Sport Glide can be removed if wanted, so I will leave it as a Sport Glide. Harley has the ST bags available as a complete unit for $1499.95 (90202534DH) painted vivid black, so that makes that easy. The bike I'm getting is black, so we're good to go. The only other thing that will be pricey will be floorboards. I plan to do the Fat Boy mounts and a heel / toe shifter. I believe I can get all of this together and still have less than $20K invested.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Durham man (03-03-2024), luckiestiff (03-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!