2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 04:14 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 993 Posts
Default Talk About Being Disappointed!!!

One of the dealers in the area was advertising a 2023 LRST with 2517 miles on it for $16,988. Well, that is a good deal.

So I called them up and said I would take it, what's the total price. This is what they sent me.​​​​​​​

So, they added back in $1700 dollars for nothing. Prep & Document fees? They were already charging $400 for a title fee, the only document there is. So, even though it was probably still a good deal at $20,584.34, I told them I wouldn't do it unless they dropped the unnecessary fees. Of course they said take or leave it. Que sera sera! Leavin' it!

The following 4 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Fuzzman71 (02-29-2024), Hammz (02-29-2024), JakeC7R (02-28-2024), wlwoodruff (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:06 PM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
One of the dealers in the area was advertising a 2023 LRST with 2517 miles on it for $16,988. Well, that is a good deal.

So I called them up and said I would take it, what's the total price. This is what they sent me.​​​​​​​

So, they added back in $1700 dollars for nothing. Prep & Document fees? They were already charging $400 for a title fee, the only document there is. So, even though it was probably still a good deal at $20,584.34, I told them I wouldn't do it unless they dropped the unnecessary fees. Of course they said take or leave it. Que sera sera! Leavin' it!
Yeah, it's not just Harley. Sadly, it has become the norm for businesses to advertise one price, but add on a bunch of BS stuff because they don't really intend to sell it for the advertised price. For example, have you flown with any of the airlines lately? I was amazed at the add-on fees -- they were charging for carry-on bags, and if you wanted to print a ticket at the airport, etc. The government is doing it too (mandatory health insurance, vaccination, etc.) It is tough to get a straight answer anymore.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:12 PM
slee93
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

So I called them up and said I would take it, what's the total price. This is what they sent me.

still a damn good deal unfortunately. I just paid 24k OTD in Connecticut for a leftover ‘23, new (11 miles)

Old 02-28-2024, 10:01 PM
Junkyard Dog
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slee93
still a damn good deal unfortunately. I just paid 24k OTD in Connecticut for a leftover ‘23, new (11 miles)
Agree, still a great deal considering. Give it another year or two and good deals will be more likely.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:16 PM
TBeghtol
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Same here...

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
Glad you discovered it before but there is absolutely no comparison between a heritage and this ST. Zero. I like the option for what HD presented, but it’s not a bike for this guy and I don’t need a test ride. Maybe if I was 30 years younger…
I had same experience. I actually test rode two different times, same result.
Really wanted to like it but no dice...

Old 02-29-2024, 02:36 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,724 Likes on 890 Posts

So I called them up and said I would take it, what's the total price. This is what they sent me.

Sounds outrageous. I'm assuming title is what we'd call registration in the UK. Here it's £55 for a first registration of a new vehicle. And what are document fees?
We have to pay annual vehicle excise duty (road tax) but it's under £150. Is it the state imposing these fees, HD themselves or the dealership?
And 1000 bucks for prep?? Pretty sure I didn't pay any workshop fee on mine. Surely the clue is in the name with an "on the road" price. You don't expect to pay extra to have the thing screwed together when they uncrate it. Sounds like you're having your pants pulled down. Don't blame you for walking. Are they trying to tax new bikes off the road?

Edit: just seen it's a used bike. That's even worse. Bandits.

Last edited by Gimlet; 02-29-2024 at 02:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fuzzman71 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 05:56 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Originally Posted by TBeghtol
Smart man. I bought my S salvage. Fell for the style and motor. Never sat on it until I owned it. Still remember sitting on it and thinking wtf have I done. I think the designers had rearsets in mind but the accountants said "Use mids we already have in stock. You can find them near the gazillion bronze wheels we bought."

Last edited by tngarren; 02-29-2024 at 05:58 AM.
JakeC7R (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:16 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Originally Posted by tngarren
Smart man. I bought my S salvage. Fell for the style and motor. Never sat on it until I owned it. Still remember sitting on it and thinking wtf have I done. I think the designers had rearsets in mind but the accountants said "Use mids we already have in stock. You can find them near the gazillion bronze wheels we bought."
Actually, not-too-severe rearsets with lean-forward flat or drag bars would probably be a very comfortable set-up for the LRS. Would need a taller seat height so your legs aren't too cramped but otherwise it would work for me and suit the aggressive character of the bike.
Low seat, high knees and a long reach to the bars is just the wrong combination. Easily modified but if they wanted to create a conventional roadster posture why didn't they just do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gimlet:
JakeC7R (02-29-2024), tngarren (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 07:09 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by slee93
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Agree, still a great deal considering. Give it another year or two and good deals will be more likely.
Originally Posted by TBeghtol
Yeah, I know it is still a good deal. It just pissed me off that they advertised a smokin' price and then added $1700 of BS fees to it. I'm sure they will sell it. If they had advertised it at $18,700 and then added the taxes and title fees, I wouldn't have flinched.

Originally Posted by Gimlet
Sounds outrageous. I'm assuming title is what we'd call registration in the UK. Here it's £55 for a first registration of a new vehicle. And what are document fees?
We have to pay annual vehicle excise duty (road tax) but it's under £150. Is it the state imposing these fees, HD themselves or the dealership?
And 1000 bucks for prep?? Pretty sure I didn't pay any workshop fee on mine. Surely the clue is in the name with an "on the road" price. You don't expect to pay extra to have the thing screwed together when they uncrate it. Sounds like you're having your pants pulled down. Don't blame you for walking. Are they trying to tax new bikes off the road?

Edit: just seen it's a used bike. That's even worse. Bandits.
Exactly! What do you have to prep on a used bike? I asked and he said they do a 25 point inspection. So what, that takes them seven hours to do? Just a BS way to add profit to the deal. I realize they have to make money to keep the doors open, but a little honesty goes a long way with me. Even on a new bike, charging $1000 for prep is ridiculous. They come in a crate pretty much fully assembled. might have to adjust the bars and a few other things, but for the most part they are ready to go.

Gimlet (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 07:21 AM
Gimlet
Road Master

Exactly! What do you have to prep on a used bike? I asked and he said they do a 25 point inspection. So what, that takes them seven hours to do? Just a BS way to add profit to the deal. I realize they have to make money to keep the doors open, but a little honesty goes a long way with me. Even on a new bike, charging $1000 for prep is ridiculous. They come in a crate pretty much fully assembled. might have to adjust the bars and a few other things, but for the most part they are ready to go.
My dealership still managed to send out my new bike with loose handlebars and the headlight pointing at the sky. Perhaps I was expected to pay $1700 extra to have it done properly.

Dealers like yours really shoot themselves in the foot. It's blatantly cynical price inflating. Do they think customers are so dumb they won't notice? Just price honestly to start with or lose customers.

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!