2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 10:29 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

that's sure, when it rains we're just soaked on the LRS and on the country roads that I often take, my bike is often covered in mud, I have to wash it after each ride.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:49 AM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

Interesting hearing the varying thoughts on this. I went in to buy a RG last year. Absolutely did not need it, but liked the fixed fairing and nice to have saddlebags. So I looked at the LRST as a sort of baby RG, but I did not like the ergonomics. There was a very lightly used LRST on the floor with a saddleman seat that looked great, but importantly nudged me just a bit closer to the bars. So I asked that they move the seat to the new bike for me and then the test ride sealed the deal, with the M8117 on that configuration just a hoot to ride. When I got it home, I simply rotated the handlebars back slightly and that really brought it home for me. So I was lucky to score a new seat when I bought mine and I have not looked back.

The following 3 users liked this post by spartan03:
Big Al 59 (02-27-2024), Calif Fat Bob (02-27-2024), tclhb (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:44 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I agree with you, ST should have been build on Sport Glide base (2 into 1 and low saddlebags) but with the ST fairing, dual dics and with a mix of chrome and black trim...
There is NO PERFECT HARLEY for everyone. If Harley built the ST on the Sport Glide base, you'd have people saying it's lame with forwards and long front rake and all that chrome. Thant and the low bags scrape when I canyon carve. Lol

I would wager 30% of ST owners install forward controls to get a Sport Glide like bike.
I would wager another 20% of ST owners, swap the 2 into 2 for 2 into one and remove the saddlebags.
The remaining 50% (like me) go from "Damn I hated this thing" to "Hmmm install taller risers, better seat, mini-floorboards, and the appropriate aftermarket windscreen, this thing is pretty bad ***.

I have yet to see a stock Harley on the road. Every model is the base for each of us to change, modify, and make them our own!

The following 4 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Big Al 59 (02-27-2024), CryingJoker (02-27-2024), JakeC7R (02-27-2024), stratplexi (05-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:52 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

you spoke well man, and like you I am today in the category of 50% who hated the model when it came out but who today say that with the appropriate ergonomic modifications it will make a great bike...
but I think I needed to go through the Low Rider S to realize that, I hope to be able to acquire an ST soon...

Old 02-27-2024, 02:55 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
There is NO PERFECT HARLEY for everyone. If Harley built the ST on the Sport Glide base, you'd have people saying it's lame with forwards and long front rake and all that chrome. Thant and the low bags scrape when I canyon carve. Lol

I would wager 30% of ST owners install forward controls to get a Sport Glide like bike.
I would wager another 20% of ST owners, swap the 2 into 2 for 2 into one and remove the saddlebags.
The remaining 50% (like me) go from "Damn I hated this thing" to "Hmmm install taller risers, better seat, mini-floorboards, and the appropriate aftermarket windscreen, this thing is pretty bad ***.

I have yet to see a stock Harley on the road. Every model is the base for each of us to change, modify, and make them our own!
I would say I am in the remaining 50% as we did pretty much the same mods on our bikes. But I am less enthusiastic about it overall. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it by any means. But it didn't live up to my expectations. Maybe they were unrealistic expectations and I should have spent some time on one before making the decision I had to have it. I still enjoy riding it, in fact I just got back from a nice cruise. The wife pretty much hates it since she got spoiled on the Road Glide Special with the big *** seat and cushy backrest lol. And the passenger pegs being at different heights is another thing she can complain about.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (02-27-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:17 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob

I'm definitely part of the "50%" you mentioned where for my body shape and riding style the ST fit right out of the box fit me really well. The only addition I would need for me would be mini boards and a new seat. It's hard for any OEM to make a goldilocks bike since we all come in a wide array of shapes and sizes. Hell my good buddy is the same height as me but our inseams are different by 3". I'm more torso than legs and he's the opposite. The magic of the Harley's is just how dizzying the options are for customization to make the machine fit and look exactly how you like. This is a huge draw because with most other manufacturers you're kind of stuck with how it comes from the factory.

The following 4 users liked this post by ACE_Moto88:
Calif Fat Bob (02-28-2024), Durham man (02-28-2024), Gimlet (02-28-2024), JakeC7R (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:39 PM
smurf_bob
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
So I drove an hour and a half to the dealer to test ride a 2023 Low Rider ST. I was seriously considering buying it and driving it off the floor that day, which was yesterday. I had read tons of reviews, loved the power-to-weight ratio, the fairing, the hard bags and especially the sleek looks. I loved the idea that to me it's sort of a powerful baby bagger.

Then I rode it. I hated it. I felt awkward from the moment I sat on it. When we actually got out on the street, I got gale-force wind in my face, my knees were up around my ears, my arms were stretched out to the bars like a cartoon character and the pipes - despite a stage 2 - were quiet as a church mouse. I didn't check but they were most likely Screamin' Eagle.

The sales gal who rode with me was stunned when we got back and I told her, thanks but no thanks. I would need to change the seat, the bars, the windshield and the foot controls to get comfortable. I would need an exhaust I could hear. I would have to spend a small fortune on top of the asking price, which we never even got around to discussing.

They were cool about it. No problem, they wanted me to have a bike I enjoyed riding. I'm bummed because, like I say, it is really a great-looking, performance-driven motorcycle. Just shows to go ya, better test ride before you buy.

The upside is that it gives me further proof that my M8 Heritage is the best HD - for me - in the lineup.
i think the LRST has become so common place on the road (at least in California) that when I went to buy my new bike, I was between the LRS and ST and I just think the ST gets uglier every time I look at it, and to be frank both bikes are set up horribly from the factory. Bars are too low, and the seat absolutely sucks. Harley know almost everyone does either a 10in riser or something on these and so they can get a couple extra bucks off you having to buy extended lines when you do it. I wound up with the Lowrider s and clubbed it out with 14 in Fxr division mxtbars , jd t sport fairing, leatherpros etc.

I work at a dealer in SoCal and I actually am sick of seeing the same build on every single bike that gets bought from our store, we have premade accessory packages for the typical build of Thrashin risers, Memphis shades road warrior and lp6’s. I think the bikes are good but I have put nearly 8k in parts and it’s only now getting to where I want it to be, which is ridiculous for a 22-28k bike.

JakeC7R (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:56 PM
GreenMonster
Road Master
Received 618 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by smurf_bob
i think the LRST has become so common place on the road (at least in California) that when I went to buy my new bike, I was between the LRS and ST and I just think the ST gets uglier every time I look at it, and to be frank both bikes are set up horribly from the factory. Bars are too low, and the seat absolutely sucks. Harley know almost everyone does either a 10in riser or something on these and so they can get a couple extra bucks off you having to buy extended lines when you do it. I wound up with the Lowrider s and clubbed it out with 14 in Fxr division mxtbars , jd t sport fairing, leatherpros etc.

I work at a dealer in SoCal and I actually am sick of seeing the same build on every single bike that gets bought from our store, we have premade accessory packages for the typical build of Thrashin risers, Memphis shades road warrior and lp6’s. I think the bikes are good but I have put nearly 8k in parts and it’s only now getting to where I want it to be, which is ridiculous for a 22-28k bike.
you pretty much described every SoCal road glide also . LP6 headlights , saddlemen step up , thrashin T bars .

JakeC7R (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:00 PM
smurf_bob
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
you pretty much described every SoCal road glide also . LP6 headlights , saddlemen step up , thrashin T bars .
yup, trust me I don’t mind selling the parts as I get to keep my lights on because of these builds, but I just wish people would consider other brands before hopping on the bandwagon. There are so many great manufacturers who make products that are unique and arguably better than the common products you see everywhere else. I know because I had the basic SoCal setup on my street bob and saw the light after riding a few properly dialed bikes with lesser known products on them.

Last edited by smurf_bob; 02-28-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:16 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by smurf_bob

Exactly why I didn't buy one. One of the salesmen says to me well you'll love it once you get it set up the way you want it. I said maybe, maybe not. But I'm not going to spend thousands just to HOPE I like it after spending all that money.

JakeC7R (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!