2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 05:13 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I had the same experience as you, after being seduced by the concept of a light Touring, stripped of the radio and GPS that I would not like to have I was one of the first in France to order one on the first of February 2022 just after its presentation, without having seen or tried.
In the months that followed while waiting for the delivery, I watched tons of videos and read almost all the tests, and the more I looked at it, the less I liked it, then I tried an LRS, I didn't like at all the driving position with the mid controls that caused me hip cramps and the handlebars too far. In fact this bike is very interesting but badly designed, I will explain why:
1. the saddlebags are too high and give it a weird look
2. the exhaust, they should have put a 2 into 1, on a sporty bike, it would have been more logical and would have allowed to mount the saddlebags lower.
3. the plate perched on the fender, we wonder what it's doing there, why they didn't do the same assembly as on the Sport Glide wich have a more sleek look
4. the speedo, again why not put the speedo of the LRS on its trigger guard, much easier to read, and which would fill up this empty fairing
5. the mid controls, not adapted for big people
6. the dusty bronze wheels.
7. the choice of colors in 2022, the black with all the black fittings is too dark I think, the Gunship grey too sad for me, in 2023 the white sand pearl is much better and I would have liked more vivid colors.
So that would be a lot of modifications to make it acceptable to my taste, and in May as my dealer was still not able to give me a delivery date, I cancelled my order.
It's a pity because the concept is interesting and it's true that the ST gives a little air in the harley range with its atypical and historical look (see the FXR police of 1984)
Today I ride a Heritage and I'm very happy with it, it ticks all the boxes for me.
After rereading this topic I come back to what I wrote almost a year ago now and after having had several experiences with several machines I realize that my tastes and my expectations have evolved. In fact at the beginning of 2022 when I discovered the ST I had a flash, but I wasn't ready, after 2 Road Kings and an EVO Héritage I was still too steeped in the classic models of the range which had me brought to Harley and I didn't dare take the plunge.
I therefore fell back on a Sport Glide which I kept for a few months, but while I loved the new Softail chassis which was a revelation for me in the sense that I could also enjoy riding a Harley and the rigid saddlebags which were so practical, I was still not ready to take on the modern side of this machine, so I parted ways with it to return to a Heritage but in an M8 version thinking that I was bringing together all the qualities important to me, the practical side, the classic look and the modernity of the mechanics and chassis. But I quickly realized that it was a too quiet a bike for me, I didn't find the road sensations that I had had on the Sport Glide and that's where I encountered the Low Rider S.
I was immediately seduced by its racy look and the 114 engine, much more expressive than the 107 of the Sport Glide or the Heritage and it was a complete paradigm shift for me, I had finally found the machine with which I really enjoyed the road.
The beginning of the story was not easy though due to the ergonomics not being very suitable for me, but after a few modifications I found my place on it and I finally accept my taste for these more modern Harleys.
Today equipped with a Road Warrior fairing and a large leather bag on the left side, I have achieved the alliance between the sporty side and the practical and tourist aspect and I am really happy on this machine but I want to go further.
I suddenly realize that all the criticisms that I have written about the ST were in fact linked to the disappointment caused by a certain attraction and I am ready today to make concessions on certain aspects which initially displeased me .
A solution could be to adapt my S like an ST with the copy of the fairing from Advanblack and a pair of Sport Glide saddlebags with a 2 in 1, but the cost is too high and I will never get it back for resale, then the idea of ​​the ST grew in me. I would put up with the saddlebags mounted too high for my liking and the minimalist speedometer, I really like the rest of the bike, all the qualities of the S with a much more protective fairing than the Road Warrior for me who rides daily in all weathers.
So it's a flashback of 2 years when I fell in love with this bike and I believe that sometimes you have to know how to listen to your heart more than your reason, but maybe I needed to move on by this path. I still have to sell my Heritage which I still own and find an ST in white which I find much more elegant than in the dark shades which we see more often, I could salvage some parts from my S and sell it in turn .

Last edited by Big Al 59; 02-23-2024 at 05:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (02-27-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 05:31 AM
Bikes and Boards
Tourer
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

After rereading this topic I come back to what I wrote almost a year ago now and after having had several experiences with several machines I realize that my tastes and my expectations have evolved. In fact at the beginning of 2022 when I discovered the ST I had a flash, but I wasn't ready, after 2 Road Kings and 1 Héritage I was still too steeped in the classic models of the range which had me brought to Harley and I didn't dare take the plunge.
I therefore fell back on a Sport Glide which I kept for a few months, but while I loved the new Softail chassis which was a revelation for me in the sense that I could also enjoy riding a Harley and the rigid saddlebags which were so practical, I was still not ready to take on the modern side of this machine, so I parted ways with it to return to a Heritage but in an M8 version thinking that I was bringing together all the qualities important to me, the practical side, the classic look and the modernity of the mechanics and chassis. But I quickly realized that it was a too quiet a bike for me, I didn't find the road sensations that I had had on the Sport Glide and that's where I encountered the Low Rider S.
I was immediately seduced by its racy look and the 114 engine, much more expressive than the 107 of the Sport Glide or the Heritage and it was a complete paradigm shift for me, I had finally found the machine with which I really enjoyed the road.
The beginning of the story was not easy though due to the ergonomics not being very suitable for me, but after a few modifications I found my place on it and I finally accept my taste for these more modern Harleys.
Today equipped with a Road Warrior fairing and a large leather bag on the left side, I have achieved the alliance between the sporty side and the practical and tourist aspect and I am really happy on this machine but I I want to go further.
I suddenly realize that all the criticisms that I have written about the ST were in fact linked to the disappointment caused by a certain attraction and I am ready today to make concessions on certain aspects which initially displeased me .
A solution could be to adapt my S like an ST with the copy of the fairing from Advanblack and a pair of Sport Glide saddlebags with a 2 in 1, but the cost is too high and I will never get it back for resale, then the idea of ​​the ST grew in me. I would put up with the saddlebags mounted too high for my liking and the minimalist speedometer, I really like the rest of the bike, all the qualities of the S with a much more protective fairing than the Road Warrior for me who rides daily in all weathers.
So it's a flashback of 2 years when I fell in love with this bike and I believe that sometimes you have to know how to listen to your heart more than your reason, but maybe I needed to move on by this path. I still have to sell my Heritage which I still own and find an ST in white which I find much more elegant than in the dark shades which we see more often, I could salvage some parts from my S and sell it in turn .
you made the best decision. I have a 22 low rider S and am selling it right now and am taking a huge hit on all my needed upgrades….. let’s look at the list.
HD forwards (needed, I’m 6’1”)
pull back risers
Bassanni 2->1 stainless
Arlen Ness intake
Feuling 472 cam
Corbin “the wall” seat.
Road Warrior fairing
Kuryakyn Road Thunder Sound bar
Tuned by the best tuner on the east coast at Blue Collar Custom Cycles in Selbyville DE.

Took a lot to get it right, forwards, pull back risers and exhaust are minimum needs.

Taking a big hit on the upgrades, but being new 24’s are 19,999 plus vivid black paint is now an extra, no freight, no bs admin or doc fees, SOMEONE is getting a steal with under 2K miles.

wish I didn’t have to sell it. Just resigned from the 4th biggest home builder in America to start my own company and the cash will be needed. I’ll get the Buell super cruiser next year so I won’t have a high perf me bike until then. Still have a 22 48, a 20 fltrxs, and a triumph.

Embrace the bike. They are great once you get them right.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:44 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I love the motor, style, and handling of my '22 S. Worst riding position of any bike I've ever ridden. We've learned to coexist with each other.

Bikes and Boards (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,725 Likes on 890 Posts

Which goes back to my old question (was it this thread or another? I forget) Why oh why didn't HD build a blacked-out 117 Sport Glide with the S/ST suspension and twin front rotors?
The ST isn't that. The Sport Glide has completely different ergos and styling. And I love that it can be stripped of fairing and bags in seconds and then looks kind of like a contemporary softail Slim.
I'm sure Harley spends millions on R&D to ensure none of their bikes are absolutely perfect so buyers will visit the accessories catalogue.

Truth is, if I wanted my perfect Harley I'd probably have to own at least four of them and pick my ride to suit my mood. On balance, I'm very happy with my S, so I'll not chase unicorns, just keep tweaking and personalising. And more importantly, riding.

Though I might have bought an ST if the Fast Johnnie edition had been out in 2022...

coppertop666 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 09:07 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

I agree with you, ST should have been build on Sport Glide base (2 into 1 and low saddlebags) but with the ST fairing, dual dics and with a mix of chrome and black trim...

Old 02-23-2024, 09:48 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,725 Likes on 890 Posts

I prefer the SG fairing myself. I think it looks better than the ST's, it works well enough (for my needs anyway - though it must be said I haven't ridden an ST. It could be I'd become completely converted if I did..) and it's designed to be detachable. I actually think the naked Sport Glide is one of the prettiest bikes HD have ever made.

If I owned a SG - my fantasy 117 version - I think that for at least 50% of the time I'd ride it around without the faring or bags.

I don't know why the SG isn't more popular stateside. I guess maybe that if the American market wants a tourer or a bagger it wants the full-on deal, whereas European markets seem to prefer a touring-lite format.

Lammy1000 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:08 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

In France the Sport Glide has been a best seller when it came out, I think that the roads in US are more adapted to the Touring bikes than in France where we have smaller and twistier roads...
If you want to be able to detach the fairing, the Sport Glide one or the Road Warrior is a best option, for my ride I prefere to have more protection...

Old 02-27-2024, 08:07 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 995 Posts

Big Al, I have no idea what switching to an ST will cost in France, or what you can get for your Heritage and S models, but an option I would consider is going with the AdvanBlack ST fairing and their mounts for the touring saddle bags. They have the whole setup with the bags and they can color match everything. Also, since you ride in all weather, check out Bagger Nation. They have front fenders that will give much more protection than the stock fender on an S / ST. Looks like the all together you would be out less than $4K US. Not sure what you're looking at going the other way. Just a option, maybe you already considered it.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Calif Fat Bob (02-27-2024), luckiestiff (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:22 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

Thank you for your advice Stonecold, it's very nice of you, I have already considered the fairing from Advanblack, but with transport and customs taxes we are at 2000€, then I need the saddlebags and that too it's a big ticket and I don't like the Touring saddlebags on the Low Rider, I think they are too big for this bike, I prefer the ST or Sport Glide saddlebags which integrate better with the line of the bike.
another solution for the fairing would be a replica of FXRT from Dominator which are in the Netherlands, so no customs taxes, but again with the paint and a 7" headlight which is necessary this also makes a ticket of 2000€ Considering that my motorcycle currently has 30,000 kms and that I travel approximately 25,000 per year, I tell myself that it is not worth it to make all these expenses on this bike. So I will wait until I sell my Heritage and I will start looking for a used ST and then I will sell my S after transferring some parts, I think this is best for me.
Agree also for the fender, I have seen Bagger Nation site and they have nice parts, will see later...

Old 02-27-2024, 09:32 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 995 Posts

Agree also for the fender, I have seen Bagger Nation site and they have nice parts, will see later...
Well the fender will be an upgrade on the ST also. I'm sure doing 25,000 km a year that you ride in your share of rainy conditions. That stock fender is a joke, just for looks.

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!