2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 02:06 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro Glide
Let's accept that the fxrt was the basis on the Dyna chassis as the original Sport Glide, with forward mounted pegs. However, in the realm of everything built on the M8 motor and the Softail monoshock frame that HD bought the rights from Yamaha from, before 2018, the genetics clearly point to the 2018 Sport Glide. That it has the name "Glide" attached to it means it's probably for sport touring. As it evolved... it was close to a bagless Low Rider S. HD added mid pegs to that, the 114 to that, and dual disc brakes, and removed the cruise control feature, and left the Sport Glide at a 107, probably so they didn't compete against each other, as well as to keep the price down on the Sport Glide.
HD notices that folks are adding cruise control and fairings and bags to their 2020 and 2021 LRS models. So they put a 117, frame mounted fairing, and the full 4.5" rear monoshock in the back, install the cruise control again, and label it the LRST in 2022, ST, probably for Sport Touring.

Some folks set their tires up for sport riding, some folks set theirs up for touring and want 15k miles out of the rear tire and 25k out of the front tire. That's the beauty of it, one has options. Genetically, they are all still on the softail Cruiser chassis. How you choose to "cruise" is up to the discretion of the owner. You just have to ask, what's in a name?

You could still buy a base Road King, Street Glide or Road Glide with a 107, if on a budget, so the motor is enough for touring with a heavy bike. Heck, the 103 was enough, before, in a Twin Cam. A lot of efficiency was gained by going to 4 valves per cylinder and 2 spark plugs per cylinder, in the M8 engine design.
yeah I got nothing out of that! Is there an interpreter in house? Fxrt on a dyna chassis?

The following users liked this post:
Hasher (10-29-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 09:54 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
.In my opinion the name Low Rider has no more sense in 2022, with a 4.5" rear shock and mid pegs, also because they delocalize the gauges from the tank which was part of the signature of the model.

They should have built the LRST from the Sport Glide, as long as they discontinued that model, 2 into 1 exhaust, lower saddlebags for a slick look, forward controls, a true touring model, like the 1984 Sport Glide.
Originally Posted by Gimlet
I agree. that's why I plan to mod my LRS into a stage 3 117" Sport Glide, with the SG seat, bars, forwards, lower-sitting bags, Jackpot Riot 2:1, Extreme Ventilator breather, Woods 22XE cam, SG plain shell headlight (if I can hide the cable routing with the LRS's headlight bubble gone) and SG detachable fairing.
All blacked-out like the LRS. Performance, handling and brakes of the LRS. Comfort, style and practicality of the SG. If I can pull it off it will be my perfect Harley.

I agree with this also, I think Harley should have used the Sport Glide as a platform to arrive at a model comparable to the ST. They could have easily added the dual disc brakes and frame mounted fairing along with the 117" engine. On my Sport Glide, I have already switched from forward pegs to floor boards. After riding touring models for 15 years it is hard to give up the floor boards. I have blacked out most of the chrome, I prefer the wrinkled black to the shiny for engine pieces. I have most of the components to do the ST fairing and I have a 120" big bore kit ready to go. By early next year I plan to have it ready for action. I may even install the DD7 Baker transmission that has been in my storage for 4 years. As you can see, I don't get in much of a hurry about these things.

NZLowrider (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:48 AM
RichM752
Road Master
Received 384 Likes on 220 Posts

Call me strange, but I like the pegs in the stock position. To me thay make a good launch platform if the need to jump off the bike arises.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:29 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro Glide
Let's accept that the fxrt was the basis on the Dyna chassis as the original Sport Glide, with forward mounted pegs. However, in the realm of everything built on the M8 motor and the Softail monoshock frame that HD bought the rights from Yamaha from, before 2018, the genetics clearly point to the 2018 Sport Glide. That it has the name "Glide" attached to it means it's probably for sport touring. As it evolved... it was close to a bagless Low Rider S. HD added mid pegs to that, the 114 to that, and dual disc brakes, and removed the cruise control feature, and left the Sport Glide at a 107, probably so they didn't compete against each other, as well as to keep the price down on the Sport Glide.
HD notices that folks are adding cruise control and fairings and bags to their 2020 and 2021 LRS models. So they put a 117, frame mounted fairing, and the full 4.5" rear monoshock in the back, install the cruise control again, and label it the LRST in 2022, ST, probably for Sport Touring.

Some folks set their tires up for sport riding, some folks set theirs up for touring and want 15k miles out of the rear tire and 25k out of the front tire. That's the beauty of it, one has options. Genetically, they are all still on the softail Cruiser chassis. How you choose to "cruise" is up to the discretion of the owner. You just have to ask, what's in a name?

You could still buy a base Road King, Street Glide or Road Glide with a 107, if on a budget, so the motor is enough for touring with a heavy bike. Heck, the 103 was enough, before, in a Twin Cam. A lot of efficiency was gained by going to 4 valves per cylinder and 2 spark plugs per cylinder, in the M8 engine design.
Originally Posted by Durham man
yeah I got nothing out of that! Is there an interpreter in house? Fxrt on a dyna chassis?
Totally agree @Durham man I am lost. First off, he's mixing real model names with nonsense ones, there is no such thing as an LRS, or LRST. That's FXLRS and FXLRST, so at least stick to one way of referring to the bike instead of using both. I spent half my time reading this figuring out what bike he was referring to. Also, the MoCo bought the mono-shock from Yamaha? Please cite your source. The design is completely different, and I can't imagine that Yamaha has any sort of patent given that so many manufactures' use some sort of mono-shock in their designs.

I did get a good chuckle out of "Let's accept that the fxrt was the basis on the Dyna chassis" though. Do you mean FXDLS perhaps?

Old 10-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
Totally agree @Durham man I am lost. First off, he's mixing real model names with nonsense ones, there is no such thing as an LRS, or LRST. That's FXLRS and FXLRST, so at least stick to one way of referring to the bike instead of using both. I spent half my time reading this figuring out what bike he was referring to. Also, the MoCo bought the mono-shock from Yamaha? Please cite your source. The design is completely different, and I can't imagine that Yamaha has any sort of patent given that so many manufactures' use some sort of mono-shock in their designs.

I did get a good chuckle out of "Let's accept that the fxrt was the basis on the Dyna chassis" though. Do you mean FXDLS perhaps?
yeah, I hear u. He is probably regoggleing as we speak.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:52 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

The OP makes some decent points. I am a happy FXLRST owner, but having said that I get where he is coming from. I found the FXLRST right off the truck to be close to unridable, largely because the rear brake was so horribly positioned that I could not apply downward pressure on the pedal. The Greene Brother linkage combined with adjustment fixed that. Even so, the body position was pretty uncomfortable until I added the Thrashin risers and HD Empire collection mini-floorboards instead of the stock pegs.

One of the things that I like about my FXLRST is that it is on the Softail chassis. This makes it lighter and far more nimble. I can handle the bike aggressively without all the weight of the touring chassis that my old Road King had. The difference in weight is quite significant, as is the shorter turning radius. The bike handles much more nicely than a touring chassis. If I were doing 4 hour freeway runs all the time I might evaluate things differently, but for me, no. And of course the FXLRST has other great attributes such as the awesome fairing (of which I am an unequivocal fan), the 117 engine, and the dual front brakes.

NZLowrider (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 05:07 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

So yeah, as an owner of 3 FXRTs and a 1986 FXRD I was anticipating the new (FXRT) Sport Glide ST. I was disappointed with the lack of amenities. Seriously, my ‘92 has floor boards, stereo, passenger accommodations and symmetric bags.
‘That said, we all know that the performance will be light years ahead of the FXRT. But, not enough to make up for what it’s missing.
‘After riding one I was very disappointed in the riding position, the pegs are way too high, not to mention they’re pegs. It really was misses the mark for me. I was expecting so much more. The problem is Harley is offering so much more if l’m willing to blow another $5 grand in the accessories catalogue, sorry, lm not buying it.

tmac00333 (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 05:34 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Hasher
So yeah, as an owner of 3 FXRTs and a 1986 FXRD I was anticipating the new (FXRT) Sport Glide ST. I was disappointed with the lack of amenities. Seriously, my ‘92 has floor boards, stereo, passenger accommodations and symmetric bags.
‘That said, we all know that the performance will be light years ahead of the FXRT. But, not enough to make up for what it’s missing.
‘After riding one I was very disappointed in the riding position, the pegs are way too high, not to mention they’re pegs. It really was misses the mark for me. I was expecting so much more. The problem is Harley is offering so much more if l’m willing to blow another $5 grand in the accessories catalogue, sorry, lm not buying it.
Don't blame you one bit. I felt the same way, as do many others obviously. It's not enough bike for the money.

Old 10-30-2023, 03:07 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

you can say that, but with a few mods which costed not to much for me (I own a FXLRS it's the same bike without the fairing), I make it my own and I am very happy and more comfy:
End Game pegs from Harley (200$) wider and flat for more mobility, Sport Glide seat (150$ used) better position and comfort, 5.5" risers with 1" pull back from Drag Specialities (120$) better position, Heritage rear shock (160$ used) more comfort and groud clearance.
So just with that it's ok for me, and it's so much fun to ride that I am selling my Heritage and will make other mods to improve touring capabilities.
I think it's the same with the ST, its a question of feeling, if you like the feeling of this bike, you will make the effort.
At the begining as I said above in this thread I didn't like the ST so much for many reasons, but now that I love the feel and the spirit of the FXLRS so much, I wouldn't be against taking an ST...

Old 10-30-2023, 06:01 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
you can say that, but with a few mods which costed not to much for me (I own a FXLRS it's the same bike without the fairing), I make it my own and I am very happy and more comfy:
End Game pegs from Harley (200$) wider and flat for more mobility, Sport Glide seat (150$ used) better position and comfort, 5.5" risers with 1" pull back from Drag Specialities (120$) better position, Heritage rear shock (160$ used) more comfort and groud clearance.
So just with that it's ok for me, and it's so much fun to ride that I am selling my Heritage and will make other mods to improve touring capabilities.
I think it's the same with the ST, its a question of feeling, if you like the feeling of this bike, you will make the effort.
At the begining as I said above in this thread I didn't like the ST so much for many reasons, but now that I love the feel and the spirit of the FXLRS so much, I wouldn't be against taking an ST...
wait a minute, that’s only about a grand! You will have to put at least another 4 k into it! Maybe more. I only did seat risers and mini floor boards. I figure another 8 k and I will be comfortable 😂!

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!