Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 05:27 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro Glide
I can't think of any touring bikes that DON'T have forward controls, can you?
GW, Concours, R1250RT, and FJR to name a few.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 01:47 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

he certainly spoke about Harley models

M Oclaf (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 02:04 PM
Astro Glide
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
I can think of one! The fxrt, the one the st is based on!
Let's accept that the fxrt was the basis on the Dyna chassis as the original Sport Glide, with forward mounted pegs. However, in the realm of everything built on the M8 motor and the Softail monoshock frame that HD bought the rights from Yamaha from, before 2018, the genetics clearly point to the 2018 Sport Glide. That it has the name "Glide" attached to it means it's probably for sport touring. As it evolved... it was close to a bagless Low Rider S. HD added mid pegs to that, the 114 to that, and dual disc brakes, and removed the cruise control feature, and left the Sport Glide at a 107, probably so they didn't compete against each other, as well as to keep the price down on the Sport Glide.
HD notices that folks are adding cruise control and fairings and bags to their 2020 and 2021 LRS models. So they put a 117, frame mounted fairing, and the full 4.5" rear monoshock in the back, install the cruise control again, and label it the LRST in 2022, ST, probably for Sport Touring.

Some folks set their tires up for sport riding, some folks set theirs up for touring and want 15k miles out of the rear tire and 25k out of the front tire. That's the beauty of it, one has options. Genetically, they are all still on the softail Cruiser chassis. How you choose to "cruise" is up to the discretion of the owner. You just have to ask, what's in a name?

You could still buy a base Road King, Street Glide or Road Glide with a 107, if on a budget, so the motor is enough for touring with a heavy bike. Heck, the 103 was enough, before, in a Twin Cam. A lot of efficiency was gained by going to 4 valves per cylinder and 2 spark plugs per cylinder, in the M8 engine design.

Last edited by Astro Glide; 10-24-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:34 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

.In my opinion the name Low Rider has no more sense in 2022, with a 4.5" rear shock and mid pegs, also because they delocalize the gauges from the tank which was part of the signature of the model.

They should have built the LRST from the Sport Glide, as long as they discontinued that model, 2 into 1 exhaust, lower saddlebags for a slick look, forward controls, a true touring model, like the 1984 Sport Glide.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:41 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,725 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
They should have built the LRST from the Sport Glide, as long as they discontinued that model, 2 into 1 exhaust, lower saddlebags for a slick look, forward controls, a true touring model, like the 1984 Sport Glide.
I agree. that's why I plan to mod my LRS into a stage 3 117" Sport Glide, with the SG seat, bars, forwards, lower-sitting bags, Jackpot Riot 2:1, Extreme Ventilator breather, Woods 22XE cam, SG plain shell headlight (if I can hide the cable routing with the LRS's headlight bubble gone) and SG detachable fairing.
All blacked-out like the LRS. Performance, handling and brakes of the LRS. Comfort, style and practicality of the SG. If I can pull it off it will be my perfect Harley.

Last edited by Gimlet; 10-24-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:31 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,209 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
So I drove an hour and a half to the dealer to test ride a 2023 Low Rider ST. I was seriously considering buying it and driving it off the floor that day, which was yesterday. I had read tons of reviews, loved the power-to-weight ratio, the fairing, the hard bags and especially the sleek looks. I loved the idea that to me it's sort of a powerful baby bagger.

Then I rode it. I hated it. I felt awkward from the moment I sat on it. When we actually got out on the street, I got gale-force wind in my face, my knees were up around my ears, my arms were stretched out to the bars like a cartoon character and the pipes - despite a stage 2 - were quiet as a church mouse. I didn't check but they were most likely Screamin' Eagle.

The sales gal who rode with me was stunned when we got back and I told her, thanks but no thanks. I would need to change the seat, the bars, the windshield and the foot controls to get comfortable. I would need an exhaust I could hear. I would have to spend a small fortune on top of the asking price, which we never even got around to discussing.

They were cool about it. No problem, they wanted me to have a bike I enjoyed riding. I'm bummed because, like I say, it is really a great-looking, performance-driven motorcycle. Just shows to go ya, better test ride before you buy.

The upside is that it gives me further proof that my M8 Heritage is the best HD - for me - in the lineup.
That's exactly the same experience I had.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:52 PM
Lammy1000
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts

The Sport Glide with a 22x cam and a 13.5" rear shock has been beyond words. The forward controls and single disc have worked well...no complaints. However, the bike is often rode with spirit, but not like a sport bike. Ya know, like a Harley should be run.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:28 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I mean I knew the ST wouldnt be a good bike for me the moment I saw mids on it.
I know for a fact that I prefer Floorboards and Forwards.
Cant expect someone to go from floorboards to middy pegs and be comfy with that.

Old New Rider (10-31-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:01 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Forward controls sacrifices handling. Forward controls are fine when handling is not a big priority! When it comes time for me to be put out to pasture I will add forward’s 😂. Loved them on my wide glide.

The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
luckiestiff (01-14-2024), snake_eyes (10-26-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:06 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

as said by tmac00333 I had the same experience when I rode the 114 Low Rider S for the first time, but I love the look and the spirit of this machine so much that despite all the comfort and practicality of my Heritage, I persevered to make a few modifications to fit it better in my hand and today after three months and 4000 miles I am adapted to the position and despite an inseqam of 34" I hardly experience any more difficulties, It's so much more fun to ride that I put my Heritage up for sale and will continue to make modifications to make it even better.
It's a bit the same approach for the LRST, I think that they are very interesting machines but that you have to adapt to suit your needs, it has a cost but that's part of the pleasure of making this machine your own. If you are attracted you must persevere, it is worth it and the pleasure will only be better.

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!