2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 04:57 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,724 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by slee93
just another LRS owner, I’m 5’9 with a 32” inseam and suffered horrendous buffeting with the stock speed screen from the factory. Removed it, and I’m enjoying clean, free-flowing air
Sorry, do you mean an ST? Or did you remove the headlight surround from the S as it doesn't have a screen? I'm not trying to be pedantic, and I take your point about the way turbulence from the same set-up affects people differently, it's just that I'm not that keen on the headlight cowl on the S and I'd be interested to see what it looked like and how it rode without it.

Old 04-13-2023, 12:01 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

he removed his S speed screen, he has sent me pics privately, so i am sure he will / or has posted them somewhere.

do a post search for his name.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (04-13-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 06:40 AM
Bikes and Boards
Tourer
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

just another LRS owner, I’m 5’9 with a 32” inseam and suffered horrendous buffeting with the stock speed screen from the factory. Removed it, and I’m enjoying clean, free-flowing air
I went with a Memphis Shades Road Warrior, but a 11" windshield at first. Sucked. Went all the way up to 17", works well.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:09 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,523 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Well based on my signature I made my choice. Originally I had been put off by the difference in the size of the bags but I realized that while riding I don't see the bags. With regards to the control placement my having ridden most BMW sport tour models (RT/GT) made the location on this bike a natural fit. I can and am going to install bars once Harley ever gets the adapter kit back in stock so that I can add highway pegs as those should offer the ability to stretch out when needed. I had to spring for the taller windscreen; I am 5-8 29" inseam - eye line about 28-30 from seat; to reduce buffeting and it did wonders. I have an AdvanBlack matching chopped tourpack on order and Mustang standard tour seat with backrest coming as well - that was my only major issue in my first 500 miles - lack of back support. I want to wait on the seat before reposition the bars but that is a question for another thread.

I did compare this to a Road Glide and Street Glide, I rented the Street Glide for a day just to insure I even wanted to go back to one and found the ST to just ride so much better it was night and day with regards to suspension; I did set the suspension on the SG before taking off. Wind protection even with the stock windscreen on the ST was night and day better and oddly noise was just better as well. Then comes the handling and honestly the weight loss is so pronounced it just felt like it was more than a class above the tour models.

Last edited by ChrisHo; 05-07-2023 at 08:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisHo:
CatEyeDallas (05-10-2023), Durham man (05-07-2023), johnnynitro (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 08:52 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sport touring my way!
One thing about the m8 s and st that is not mentioned a lot is the 28 degree rake. While it is one thing that contributes to the great handling when I first read the specs I thought it would sacrifice straight line stability. One early review of the 2020 fxlrs even questioned it. Not a problem. Even with the steep rake they are stable at high speed. No steering damper needed. The steep rake is why the reach for the bar is frowned upon. I found 6.5 pull back risers to be perfect. 6.5 is max for stock wire and cables. A very easy fix. The other big complaint is the further mids. The right seat height is crucial but again easily to do. A lot of buyers go forward controls, I believe it sacrifices handling. If I was buying today I would buy the st , my 20 was to far along to start again. I am happy it was as I like my bike more.

The following 6 users liked this post by Durham man:
Big Al 59 (05-09-2023), CatEyeDallas (05-10-2023), luckiestiff (01-14-2024), natural gasser (05-07-2023), NorthWestern (05-07-2023), NZLowrider (05-07-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2023, 11:19 AM
Astro Glide
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I can say the mid controls on either the LR S or ST were an afterthought for the big guys and the tall guys that ride HD's. Bought the Sport Glide with forward controls and 6" risers with 2" set back, and I fit just fine at 6' 5" Sure, it's only a 107, but what the heck, it's a cruiser. It's never going to be as fast through the twisties as a sport bike. And at my age, I had my fun and games a lot younger when my reflexes were still fast, in the dirt on a MX'er. Now it's about self preservation, so I take it easy. People been riding 88's, 103's and it seems like they did just fine in the past. 4 valves per head and fuel injection is plenty of stock breathing capability compared to the past. I suppose the ST is a good bike if you want to tinker, but if you really want the most, a 131 or 135 crate motor is what you gotta go get. Like what the Thrashin boys are doing on Youtube.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:30 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,786 Posts

He is upset the stock exhaust was not loud enough.

I never rode one,but I thought switchback would have been a good mini bagger. Was surprised they didn't sell. I suppose you can put a windshield and bags on any bike

Old 05-09-2023, 09:24 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,870 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
He is upset the stock exhaust was not loud enough.

I never rode one,but I thought switchback would have been a good mini bagger. Was surprised they didn't sell. I suppose you can put a windshield and bags on any bike
I still remember the day talking to an old-timer out in a parking lot. He had had many HDs in his time. His current bike was a Switchback and I told him I was considering getting one. He said "DON'T!"

Then he hopped on his bike, cranked it up and sat there with him and his bike shaking like a Waring Blender on high speed. It shook so bad it looked like a cartoon. We both laughed like hell.

Old 10-24-2023, 12:43 AM
Astro Glide
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

The switch to forward controls seems counterintuitive to the whole platform. It's meant to be ridden HARD. These bikes need a tall rear shock and a sticky tire. To each their own!
Is that why HD spotted Danny Hayes ( Million $ Bogan on Youtube ) a LRST to tour on it from L.A. CA to Sturgis and back, mostly all interstate and 2 lane highways, like a light touring bike, just put it on cruise control? He and his buddy picked the bikes up from Laidlaw HD in CA, and HD basically gave him a loaner for an over 4000 mile touring trip, as a light touring bike? Sticky tires not needed. Cruiser tires were needed. I can't think of any touring bikes that DON'T have forward controls, can you?

Last edited by Astro Glide; 10-24-2023 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:21 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro Glide
Is that why HD spotted Danny Hayes ( Million $ Bogan on Youtube ) a LRST to tour on it from L.A. CA to Sturgis and back, mostly all interstate and 2 lane highways, like a light touring bike, just put it on cruise control? He and his buddy picked the bikes up from Laidlaw HD in CA, and HD basically gave him a loaner for an over 4000 mile touring trip, as a light touring bike? Sticky tires not needed. Cruiser tires were needed. I can't think of any touring bikes that DON'T have forward controls, can you?

I can think of one! The fxrt, the one the st is based on!

Last edited by Durham man; 10-24-2023 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!