2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 02:50 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

I remember a guy over on the ADVenture forum coining the difference between Wind, Noise, and Buffeting as:
Wind - Messes up your hair
Noise - Messes with you hearing
Buffeting - Vibrates your eye *****

Wind in fine and good. Noise can be overcome with earplugs and a good helmet. Buffeting is another animal all together. I chased trying to eliminate it on my KTM 790 and KEM 1190 to no avail. A garage full of windscreens and helmets.
I do know that buffeting affects different people differently. For some it's barely noticeable and if it is noticeable, doesn't bother them. Others like me get blurred vision and dizziness when the buffeting gets to bad. Sometimes requiring me to pull over for 30 minutes to clear my head.

But back to the ST I will say the buffeting is very minimal on this bike for me. Just a little bit left, that I think I can fix with a taller Clearview (large) that I would use for longer highway trips, and save the Medium for local below 70mph trips. I will get a second set of grommets so swapping them will be like 3 minutes max.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:51 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BelchFire
ENOUGH! Lay off of it. Take this thread back to motorcycle and lay off the personal attacks. Scroll right on by if you need to....
Thanks @BelchFire as this one was getting sideways a bit. Lol

Old 03-29-2023, 03:25 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,724 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I remember a guy over on the ADVenture forum coining the difference between Wind, Noise, and Buffeting as:
Wind - Messes up your hair
Noise - Messes with you hearing
Buffeting - Vibrates your eye *****

Wind in fine and good. Noise can be overcome with earplugs and a good helmet. Buffeting is another animal all together. I chased trying to eliminate it on my KTM 790 and KEM 1190 to no avail. A garage full of windscreens and helmets.
I do know that buffeting affects different people differently. For some it's barely noticeable and if it is noticeable, doesn't bother them. Others like me get blurred vision and dizziness when the buffeting gets to bad. Sometimes requiring me to pull over for 30 minutes to clear my head.

But back to the ST I will say the buffeting is very minimal on this bike for me. Just a little bit left, that I think I can fix with a taller Clearview (large) that I would use for longer highway trips, and save the Medium for local below 70mph trips. I will get a second set of grommets so swapping them will be like 3 minutes max.
TBH I don't get any kind of turbulence at all off the S. Wind, but clean. The trouble with screens is you get a vortex where the wind tips over the top of the screen. On an adventure bike because of the riding position that's right in front of your face. My KTM 1190 with the stock screen was awful but the faster you went the better it got. If I could have ridden everywhere at 100mph all the time (and I did my best..) it would have been fine. i fitted a headlight mask and screen from a gen 1 1290 adv and that cured it for me. Louvres along the top of the screen I think is what made the difference. .
The LRS I can ride all day. As you say there's noise but it's constant and not excessive. And when I fit a Thrashin pipe I doubt I'll hear it anyway..

I do wear a full face helmet, always with ear plugs, and it's a ultra light full carbon sports helmet. Remarkably quiet for a sports lid. And the light weight makes a huge difference to reducing fatigue on long rides.

One point in favour of mid controls on the LRS is the wind doesn't seem to strain the legs. I nearly bought a 103 Fat Bob a while ago. 2011 plate I think it was. At any speed over 80 my knees were blown apart, and at a ton it was lifting my feet off the pegs. Don't feel any wind pressure on my legs at all with the LR|S.

Last edited by Gimlet; 03-29-2023 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 05:46 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,189 Posts

I've always enjoyed MCN Neeves' reviews. This one dropped earlier today. You could argue that the Sport Chief is Indian's version of the FXLRS. I was curious if he would talk about the riding position as it looked much like the '22 Low Rider. Yep, he goes there at 7:40.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:43 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 599 Likes on 361 Posts
Thumbs up

VERY nice man! Im really considering buying another LRS so I can have a fairing like that. My Slim has to go first but I love the LRS/ST bikes! ****ing love my ST!

Last edited by HD_fan; 03-30-2023 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HD_fan:
Durham man (03-31-2023), natural gasser (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 06:15 PM
slee93
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
TBH I don't get any kind of turbulence at all off the S. Wind, but clean. The trouble with screens is you get a vortex where the wind tips over the top of the screen. On an adventure bike because of the riding position that's right in front of your face. My KTM 1190 with the stock screen was awful but the faster you went the better it got. If I could have ridden everywhere at 100mph all the time (and I did my best..) it would have been fine. i fitted a headlight mask and screen from a gen 1 1290 adv and that cured it for me. Louvres along the top of the screen I think is what made the difference. .
The LRS I can ride all day. As you say there's noise but it's constant and not excessive. And when I fit a Thrashin pipe I doubt I'll hear it anyway..

I do wear a full face helmet, always with ear plugs, and it's a ultra light full carbon sports helmet. Remarkably quiet for a sports lid. And the light weight makes a huge difference to reducing fatigue on long rides.

One point in favour of mid controls on the LRS is the wind doesn't seem to strain the legs. I nearly bought a 103 Fat Bob a while ago. 2011 plate I think it was. At any speed over 80 my knees were blown apart, and at a ton it was lifting my feet off the pegs. Don't feel any wind pressure on my legs at all with the LR|S.
just another LRS owner, I’m 5’9 with a 32” inseam and suffered horrendous buffeting with the stock speed screen from the factory. Removed it, and I’m enjoying clean, free-flowing air

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 03:07 AM
Lucy.K
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do you get the forward control? it's cool for the footboard

I bought my LRST without a test ride after reading all the great reviews. I have to say I was not wowed when I got it home. Thought I made a huge mistake. The Mid controls and reaching for the bars just felt awkward. My 2020 Fat Bob fits me perfectly and love the style comfort and looks. But that bike did not fit me out of the box either. The Fat Bob needed mini floorboards up front, risers and narrower taller bars, along with a Memphis fairing to make it rideable on the freeway.

My ST was the same. After putting on 6.5” pullback risers, mini floorboards, and a better seat, it’s a much better ride now.

I’m still torn as to which one will make the final grade, but that’s half the fun for me to explore, mod, ride, and decide. I might just keep both. Lol

Where do you get the forward control? it's cool for the footboard

Old 03-31-2023, 11:43 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lucy.K
Where do you get the forward control? it's cool for the footboard
My Low Rider ST does NOT have forwards just mini-floorboards from Crossthread Designs
Crossthread Mini Floorboards

The Fat Bob comes with forward controls so I added Joker Machine mini-floorboards
Joker Machine mini-floorboards

I like the Crossthread ones a bit better as more room to move your foot around.

Old 03-31-2023, 02:36 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by natural gasser
Baby cakes! That's what your wife calls me.
Wow !!

Old 04-12-2023, 08:27 PM
Astro Glide
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I think it is the "Sharknado" fairing.
Sharknado Fairing
https://www.denniskirk.com/paul-yaff...prd/236524.sku

Quick Reply: Low Rider ST: DISAPPOINTED!