2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Made The Move To A Softail....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 07:20 PM
streetmaster56
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Gold
Made the decision to down size from my '15 Street Glide to a Street Bob.

Found this '21 at a local dealer. Already has the Vance & Hines Big Radius, Performance Machine breather and forward controls....stuff I would have done if I bought stock. Not much seat time yet, but I like it so far. Have back rest on order and maybe taller bars in the future.

I will surely miss the SGS, especially the bags and the stereo, but it was quite a bit more than my horrible knees could stand anymore.

Nice scoot, i purchesed the 21 baja orange bob, but since went with a saddlemans profiler seat, works pretty well with the forward controls. Also did a breakout drag bar swap, which i feel gives me way more control with tight turns and twisties. A lot of guys complain about the rear fender gap, but the fender will soon be replaced with a Klock Werks stretched fender along with a slicer front fender.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:59 PM
Joe123
Advanced
Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

Sweet, congrats! I have the '22. I had the Saddlemen Knuckle Solo. Looks fantastic. However, on longer rides, my back feels it, need more shock absorption. Demo'd the step up, didn't like it. Ended up going with the Harley Hammock, wow, what a difference! Gives it that "riding on a couch" feel. Ordered the backrest for it, but yet another part on seemingly eternal backorder .

Old 03-04-2023, 07:52 PM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
Take a look at Green Brothers Brake Linkage to adjust the rear brake up. It will give you much more adjustment length.
Green Brothers Brake Linkage
I checked that out, but it won't work for me with forward controls.

I was able to back the clevis out about 5 turns and that raised it up a bit. Not quite as high as I would like it, but it will work until I find a longer clevis.

Old 03-07-2023, 06:25 PM
cobra23
Road Captain
Received 521 Likes on 285 Posts

I have a 22 Streetbob. I put on a Mustang solo seat which is very comfy. I also put on a Memphis shades road warrior fairing which keeps the wind off. The bike came with Thrashin Supply 8" pull back risers which I really like and they raise the instruments up so they are easier to read at speed. Also added custom dynamics led brake/turn signals and Thrashin bar bag.

I did a Stage I with an Thrashing Supply AR 2 into one pipe with a thundermax tuner. Plenty of power

Old 03-07-2023, 07:16 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 599 Likes on 361 Posts

Awesome 2-1 right there!

Old 03-08-2023, 04:35 PM
Deal Breaker
Club Member
Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
...people really need to do some research before getting their bikes and take a good hard look at what they're after.
Could not agree more!

Really contemplating where, when, and how a motorcycle will be used is key to buying the 'right' bike the first time. When I went through this process in late 2019, after a period of many years without a bike, I knew that my wife was not going to ride and that I'd be pretty much limited to day trips. Having realized this, the softail models made much more sense and although I initially flirted with the Breakout and then the Fat Boy, it was the introduction of a chrome finish Heritage in 2020 that sealed the deal for me. Now, more than 3 years later, my bike still appeals to me more than any other model (much to the chagrin of my local HD salesperson).

The following 2 users liked this post by Deal Breaker:
Cruiser117 (03-08-2023), Old New Rider (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 10:03 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 339 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Deal Breaker
Could not agree more!

Really contemplating where, when, and how a motorcycle will be used is key to buying the 'right' bike the first time. When I went through this process in late 2019, after a period of many years without a bike, I knew that my wife was not going to ride and that I'd be pretty much limited to day trips. Having realized this, the softail models made much more sense and although I initially flirted with the Breakout and then the Fat Boy, it was the introduction of a chrome finish Heritage in 2020 that sealed the deal for me. Now, more than 3 years later, my bike still appeals to me more than any other model (much to the chagrin of my local HD salesperson).
Same. Esp. with customizations already done.

That Breakout sure is interesting, though.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:28 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 386 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Same. Esp. with customizations already done.

That Breakout sure is interesting, though.
Got a 2018 Heritage with 55,000 miles on the odometer and it’s still going strong. Really enjoying it.

My brother just ordered a 2023 Breakout. Should be in the first week in April.

He is trading in his 2020 883 Iron. Should really enjoy his new bike.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:21 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23
I have a 22 Streetbob. I put on a Mustang solo seat which is very comfy. I also put on a Memphis shades road warrior fairing which keeps the wind off. The bike came with Thrashin Supply 8" pull back risers which I really like and they raise the instruments up so they are easier to read at speed. Also added custom dynamics led brake/turn signals and Thrashin bar bag.

I did a Stage I with an Thrashing Supply AR 2 into one pipe with a thundermax tuner. Plenty of power
How much higher does that seat lift you?

Is this the one? Wide Tripper™ for Harley-Davidson Street Bob 2018-'21 | Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Handmade in the USA | Mustang Seats Mustang should be ashamed of that web site, nothing for '22 listed and I had to dial all the way back to '20 to find FXBB fitments. Someone needs to tell them it's the 21st century and outdated websites are so 1990's.

Last edited by snake_eyes; 03-17-2023 at 11:28 AM.