2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Made The Move To A Softail....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 01:38 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,470 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
, and those feelings of "I wish I had a Fat Boy" still linger even though I own one. When I walk into the dealership and I see the 2 or 3 M8 Fat Boys on the floor my face lights up all with a big dumb smile and I go over and look at them even though I just rode to the dealership on one.
Thats how I know I got the right bike. I bought the bike I want, and I still wanna buy another one.
That's exactly how I feel about the Fat Bob. Draws me in like a magnet, and I can't wait to get back to it. Cannot walk away from it without looking back and exulting in how epic it is.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 02:58 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
The Memphis Road Warrior helps at lower speeds under 50 but at highway you get blown around quite a bit. I think that's why I need two bikes. One for the canyons and one for the freeways. (at least that's what I tell my wife. Lol)

I don't ride often on freeways, I don't like it, mostly I do day trips on secondary roads, and wwhen I do long trips over several days 3 or 4 times a year, I sometimes take the freeway but I'm not sure I'll be less protected with the Road Warrior than I am with the windshield of the Heritage, so I figure that's something I could handle occasionally as I like the modern and sporty look of the Fat Bob...

Old 03-01-2023, 06:58 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 661 Posts

All the talk about fairings and windshields is moot to me. Been riding for 39 years and never had either, save the last 7 years owning the Street Glide. Wind protection was decent, until you wear a helmet. Then the helmet bobble above 60 was awful. Added the fork fangs and that eliminated 75% and I'm sure a different wind screen would have helped, just never fooled with it.

Thanks for all the input. Going to start looking for an indy that I can take the rear shock to, instead of buying the Kodlin and a compressor that will only get used once. Then, seat shopping....in the meantime, adjust the rear brake peddle up and ride!

Old 03-01-2023, 10:55 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,844 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Okay, let me just say... Assuming I made an appropriate edit up above ("hasn't")... Dude, I seriously think you're considering selling the wrong bike... You said you "bought into the hype" and got the LRST. Maybe so. Maybe it was a mistake. But you might want to think long and hard before you compound that mistake by making another one. If the Fat Bob's more fun, then you very well might end up kicking yourself for getting rid of it. Seen it a thousand times on this forum.
Yes you made the appropriate edit "Hasn't quite clicked with me yet" lol Oh and I did months of research on the LRST. All the research in the world sometimes is not enough. (hence lots of used bikes for sale fully modded with under 2000 miles on them.)

I haven't made any hard decisions yet. The Fat Bob was my first Harley at 58yrs old after 40+ years on KTM Adventure and dual sport bikes. Love the look and love the handling. The mid-forward controls as I like to call them on the Fat Bob are perfect for my short legs (5;8" 28" inseam). For me I still need to work on the reach of the bars on the Low Rider ST and get used to the mid controls. Might even change them up to forwards.

I tend to go through bikes and turn them every 2-4 years. To be honest I get as much satisfaction in buying and modifying as I do riding. All part of the adventure. As of now keeping both Harleys along side 2 KTMs in the garage. Summer is coming so it's nice to open the garage door and have choices of what to take out on a Saturday morning.

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 03-01-2023 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LightninST (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Black_Gold
All the talk about fairings and windshields is moot to me. Been riding for 39 years and never had either, save the last 7 years owning the Street Glide. Wind protection was decent, until you wear a helmet. Then the helmet bobble above 60 was awful. Added the fork fangs and that eliminated 75% and I'm sure a different wind screen would have helped, just never fooled with it.

Thanks for all the input. Going to start looking for an indy that I can take the rear shock to, instead of buying the Kodlin and a compressor that will only get used once. Then, seat shopping....in the meantime, adjust the rear brake peddle up and ride!
Take a look at Green Brothers Brake Linkage to adjust the rear brake up. It will give you much more adjustment length.
Green Brothers Brake Linkage

Old 03-01-2023, 11:37 AM
Tha_Big_Ohh
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Gold
Made the decision to down size from my '15 Street Glide to a Street Bob.

Found this '21 at a local dealer. Already has the Vance & Hines Big Radius, Performance Machine breather and forward controls....stuff I would have done if I bought stock. Not much seat time yet, but I like it so far. Have back rest on order and maybe taller bars in the future.

I will surely miss the SGS, especially the bags and the stereo, but it was quite a bit more than my horrible knees could stand anymore.
Seat, taller bars, factory forwards and hard bags were the first mods to my softail. I’ve had both the Saddlemen Renegade Solo and now the SDC step up and both are great on the butt. Haven’t ridden two up so I can’t tell you my passengers opinions on it, but having the lower back support really helps on longer rides to the coast, the solo is good for around town/work commute.

Old 03-01-2023, 11:48 AM
BriGlide
Cruiser

Received 66 Likes on 30 Posts

I like the engine colors, but yea I love the rubber mounted engines in the tour bikes and the stretch out bikes.. I'm short and light weight and I had to mod the front and rear suspension on both my touring bikes as harley's springs were way too stiff in the rear, and fronts I found to have alot of dive and poor damping qualities. I haven't rode a Softail M8 but I didnt care for the tour ride or drive train and capability of a two, 2007 and 2009 fatboys that I rode, but to each there own. I had a 2009 Road Star I loved the power train and ride (after I mod the suspension) and it didnt need a rubber mounted engine, but I missed the longer stretch out frame of the large HD touring bikes so I ended up just selling it.

Old 03-01-2023, 12:49 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tha_Big_Ohh
Seat, taller bars, factory forwards and hard bags were the first mods to my softail. I’ve had both the Saddlemen Renegade Solo and now the SDC step up and both are great on the butt. Haven’t ridden two up so I can’t tell you my passengers opinions on it, but having the lower back support really helps on longer rides to the coast, the solo is good for around town/work commute.
That is one nice looking Street Bob you have there sir! Very clean tasteful mods.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:44 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 599 Likes on 361 Posts
Thumbs up very nice! If I had a SB I would def mod it pretty much the same

Love the bags and the bar! I just put a 2-1 long exhaust and done deal!

Old 03-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Tha_Big_Ohh
Looks good. We're the lower legs, triple tree, rocker boxes, etc. polished from HD? I don't think I've seen one like that.

Quick Reply: Made The Move To A Softail....